6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 7:10 PM by mayonnaise

Flickering on NUC7i5BNH

mayonnaise

I have got an NUC7i5BNH connected to a Dell P2415Q via DisplayPort.

When I set the resolution to 4k@60hz there were massive flickering with the most recent 4678 driver.

Downgrading to the "recommended" 4664 version the flickering problem is much better but still exists.

The simplest way to reproduce this problem is just to play 4k mkv files with the media player that came with Windows 10 then hit full screen then back and forth, etc.

• 1. Re: Flickering on NUC7i5BNH
          lw1948

The DP port in your NUC has DP 1.2 type output while your monitor input is set by default to DP 1.1. In order to avoid display blinking enable DP 1.2 in your monitor DISPLAY settings menu. See the attached image.

Regards

Leon

• 2. Re: Flickering on NUC7i5BNH
            mayonnaise

Hi Leon,

4k@60hz is not possible on DP 1.1 it has to be DP 1.2 otherwise you are stuck with 30hz.

The monitor I had has got a different menu anyway there is no "DP 1.2" instead it's called "MST" and it's currently "Off".

For whoever bother trying to replicate the issue: it flickers massively when I try to play 4k x265 video with "Films & TV" but Windows Media Player is fine.

• 3. Re: Flickering on NUC7i5BNH
              lw1948

Hi

I understand - setting the MST to OFF is correct for 4k@60hz.  What kind of DP cable are you using? Are you using the supplied in the box mDP to DP cable? If not, try to use it.

Regards

Leon

• 4. Re: Flickering on NUC7i5BNH
                mayonnaise

Hi Leon,

I'm using a conversion cable where on one end it's USB-c and on the other is full size DP. From what I read on the internet the original mDP to DP cable is often blamed for instability. In fact a lot people went as far as to dump the original cable the first thing the monitor arrives. In any case, the thing is fine with Windows Media Player so I would doubt it's a cable issue.

• 5. Re: Flickering on NUC7i5BNH
                  mayonnaise

Just found another application that's causing constant flickering.

Every time I open a new tab in Google Chrome the screen flickers.

This is a nightmare...

• 6. Re: Flickering on NUC7i5BNH
                    mayonnaise

Tried a number of different video players here's what happened.

1. Films & TV - flickers every other second.

2. Windows Media Player - fine but no sound (I guess it hasn't got the codec?).

3. VLC - no hardware acceleration.

4. MPC-HU - fine.

5. MPC-BE - fine.

6. Kodi - flickers every other second.