5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2017 10:34 AM by Intel Corporation

upgrade edison kernel to 4.x version

build

Hi,

I am trying to build kernel image for edison, for linux kernel -4.x

We followed https://github.com/htot/meta-intel-edison/tree/morty and I faced some issues with mraa library, so I changed BB file(SRC_URI) and building was successful.

But u-boot-env files, u-boot-edison.img, edison-image-edison.hddimg were not created after build.

When I'm trying to flash onto edison it was looking for above files

• we built on linux host which is Ubuntu 14.04LTS of x86-64 architecture
      • we tried with both make and bitake

Thanks and Regards,

kavitha

• 1. Re: upgrade edison kernel to 4.x version
          N.Scott.Pearson

You've posted this query to the Intel NUC forum. You need to move it to the Edison forums to get a knowledgeable response (I couldn't do this for you)...

...S

• 2. Re: upgrade edison kernel to 4.x version
            0andriy

I guess the best person to answer is FerryT

• 3. Re: upgrade edison kernel to 4.x version
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello build,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

You mention that you are using this experimental morty branch: https://github.com/htot/meta-intel-edison/tree/morty. If you look at the How to use this section, at the bottom part, you’ll notice this link https://github.com/htot/meta-intel-edison/wiki, which directs you to the following warning message:

The Morty branch is highly experimental. Currently it build, installs and boots, albeit the separate parts (u-boot, kernel and rootfs) which need to be installed manually.

So, according to this message, you are experiencing an expected behavior (u-boot and its files are not created) and you should add the desired files manually.

If you have any other question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Andres V.

• 4. Re: upgrade edison kernel to 4.x version
                FerryT

Did you follow the instructions on the wiki page?

Currently the u-boot image is not to be trusted, I recommend building that separately. The rootfs goes to a sdcard and the kernel with initramfs goed to an empty partition on the edison. home partition stays the same. I think you were trying the flashall script, and yes, that won't work now.

I am surprised that mraa doesn't build, I thought I fixed that. I might be that a certain dependency is missing, can you post the error message?

It might be I didn't see this becauset when you use:

bitbake -k edison-image

the second time it will complete the build without error (-k tries to continue building as much as possible after an error and I believe this resolves the missing dependency)

And yes, you need to manually change env files.

If you find any info missing on the wiki I will gladly try to improve.

• 5. Re: upgrade edison kernel to 4.x version
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello build,

I was wondering if you could check the question and the recommendation provided by FerryT.

If you have any update or question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
                  Andres V.