3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 3:28 PM by Intel Corporation

Why is the BIOS battery on the wrong side of the motherboard?

Apachez

I guess only Intel can answer this: How come your "engineers" have failed to place the BIOS battery on the correct side of the motherboard or at least make the battery extension cables disconnectable from the side of the motherboard which is exposed when you open the device up?

Today if you have to reset the BIOS by disconnecting the battery (or after a few years replacing that battery) you are forced to completely disassemble the unit (that is disconnect the motherboard from the chassi) before you can access the battery which is just a poor design choice your engineers have made. Or are there some other good reason this is done this way which I have completely missed?

• 1. Re: Why is the BIOS battery on the wrong side of the motherboard?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much joining the Intel® NUC communities.

: In regard to your inquiry, it is a design matter, that was the way how the NUCs were designed in order for all the components to work properly. But just to let you know, I will send your feedback to the proper department so they can be aware of your suggestion for future releases.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards.
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Why is the BIOS battery on the wrong side of the motherboard?
            Apachez

I get it that the vias might be forced to be on the "incorrect" side but a quickfix for intel would then be to have battery extension cable not only detachable at the motherboard but also make it longer and make it detachable near the battery itself.

This way the battery cable could be put next to one side of the motherboard and be available on the harddrive side (which is easily accessable).

Something like this (bare with my ascii-art skillz ;-)

Edit: My first attempt looked like **** on this forum so here is a picture instead :-)

The drawing is a cross-section when you look at the NUC from the side with harddrive side upwards.

battery_nuc.png

• 3. Re: Why is the BIOS battery on the wrong side of the motherboard?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you for providing that information, I added the notes to the report I sent before for them to be aware of your suggestions. Hopefully those details will be consider for future products.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards.
              Alberto R