6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2017 2:56 AM by lucasdemarchi

Wifi range

Rudja

Hello,

I think that I have no luck with this drone ... I have the following issue now.

The range of the drone's wifi is about 3 meters range, not enough to do my test outside. Before I was no problem with that.

I am not an expert in wifi but what do you think it is causing that? I was adding some sensors to the drone and during the manipulation I have damaged a little bit the antennas (as you can see on the two photos in attachment).

If you can affirm that this is the cause, can I simply buy another antenna (http://us.yuneec.com/Aero-Drone-WiFi-Antenna-sold-in-pairs ) and replace them to get it working?

PS: I am not in the following case : wifi drops

Regards,

Rudja

• 1. Re: Wifi range
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Rudja,

Thanks for reaching out.

I have gotten the same results as you about the Wi-Fi range when using the drone outdoors. In my opinion, that's the normal behavior and it's not an issue with the drone or the Wi-Fi connectivity. Although, please let me do some research on this to confirm if this should work this way, or if there is something we are missing.  I'll let you know once I have additional information.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Leonardo R.

• 2. Re: Wifi range
            Rudja

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for your reply.

I have forgotten to put a photo in my last message.

Antenne_aero_damaged.jpg

I don't think that is a normal behaviour because even in indoor environment, I got same results. Even a raspberry pi 3, without added antenna, have more range.

Ok, I will wait your confirmation.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Rudja

• 3. Re: Wifi range
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Rudja,

Thanks for the information, I will continue investigating about this, and I will contact you soon.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Leonardo R.

• 4. Re: Wifi range
                RandyK

I'm experiencing the same problem.

With drone acting as an access point, the wifi distance range is very short when connecting with a laptop.

That can't be normal. What good is a drone that must stay within ten feet?

- Randy

• 5. Re: Wifi range
                  broody

The stock antennas do not propagate the signal very well beyond a few meters. It's good for bench top development but not very useful in the field. You can take a look at this instructable below which details how to connect an omnidirectional wifi antenna to help extend your range up to ~50m.

Intel Aero Drone - Extending Wifi Range: 9 Steps

• 6. Re: Wifi range
                    lucasdemarchi

broody  but 3m is way too low. I suspect the antenna is disconnected inside the case.

I'd have to measure to give exact numbers, but I go way farther than that with stock antennas and using an external 5db antenna on host