I'm experiencing boot Issue with the NUC6CAYS + Ubuntu Server 16.04.02 LTS (kernel 4.8), Ubuntu Server 17.04 (kernel 4.10) and even with the UEFI USB Installer.
- BIOS Version 0038 and 0040 tested
- HDMI 2.0 Firmware fix.
- Default values in bios except: eMMC is disabled + supervisor password set ( I tried without a supervisor set too). Also tried the UEFI OS Selection to Linux, same issue
- ADATA SP550 SSD is installed inside
Here is the story:
- First I installed Ubuntu Server 16.04.02 LTS with HWE Stack (Kernel 4.8), everything was working fine BUT I noticed that sometimes, after a reboot, my NUC was stuck on a black screen right after the GRUB Menu.
- I decided to give Kernel 4.10 a try so I installed Ubuntu Server 17.04 (kernel 4.10) and nothing else except updates. I did a small script to restart the computer every 30 seconds or so and again, randomly, the NUC was not rebooting. I see the GRUB Menu with Ubuntu selected and after the 2 seconds timeout, screen go black and nothing more happen.
- After hours and hours of debugging and trying to find what the problem was, I decided to use a brand new SSD (same model) that I had on hand.
- Disconnected the power of the NUC
- Replaced my SSD
- Connected my Ubuntu Server 17.04 USB installer made with Rufus
- Connected power
- Started NUC
- Pressed F10 on boot, selected my USB and displayed the GNU GRUB Menu where I selected * Install Ubuntu Server and.....the same issue occurred, black screen and nothing!!
- I restarted the computer and tried it again... this time the Ubuntu Server installer started correctly.
- Wait for GRUB Menu (eMMC is disabled and ssd brand new, so the USB boot automatically)
- Press Enter to start installation
- If the installer start, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and do it again.
- I did it again, and again, again, at least 30 times without any issue than, after many retries same problem, black screen and nothing!
It's totally Random and really seems to be a BIOS issue to me since this time. When the black screen happen, ctrl+alt+del do nothing. I have to long press the power button for about 5 seconds to power off the NUC.
I should have a brand new NUC6CAYH tomorrow to test if it's specific to my NUC or not, since I already have NIC issue with this one but I need it for development (NUC6CAYS - Ethernet Issue )
Tested with a brand new NUC6CAYH, a different 4GB Kingston memory module and a different brand SSD (PNY) - Same Issue
Procedure to reproduce the issue in this post: Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze and can be downloaded here: https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/485079-171358/RebootScript.md.zip
Thanks a lot for support