1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 6:29 AM by p0912

NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze

JPelletier

Hi,

I'm experiencing boot Issue with the NUC6CAYS + Ubuntu Server 16.04.02 LTS (kernel 4.8), Ubuntu Server 17.04 (kernel 4.10) and even with the UEFI USB Installer.

• BIOS Version 0038 and 0040 tested
      • HDMI 2.0 Firmware fix.
      • Default values in bios except: eMMC is disabled + supervisor password set ( I tried without a supervisor set too). Also tried the UEFI OS Selection to Linux, same issue
      • ADATA SP550 SSD is installed inside

Here is the story:

• First I installed Ubuntu Server 16.04.02 LTS with HWE Stack (Kernel 4.8), everything was working fine BUT I noticed that sometimes, after a reboot, my NUC was stuck on a black screen right after the GRUB Menu.

• I decided to give Kernel 4.10 a try so I installed Ubuntu Server 17.04 (kernel 4.10) and nothing else except updates. I did a small script to restart the computer every 30 seconds or so and again, randomly, the NUC was not rebooting. I see the GRUB Menu with Ubuntu selected and after the 2 seconds timeout, screen go black and nothing more happen.

• After hours and hours of debugging and trying to find what the problem was, I decided to use a brand new SSD (same model) that I had on hand.
        • Disconnected the power of the NUC
        • Replaced my SSD
        • Connected my Ubuntu Server 17.04 USB installer made with Rufus
        • Connected power
        • Started NUC
        • Pressed F10 on boot, selected my USB and displayed the GNU GRUB Menu where I selected * Install Ubuntu Server and.....the same issue occurred,  black screen and nothing!!
        • I restarted the computer and tried it again... this time the Ubuntu Server installer started correctly.
          1. Boot
          2. Wait for GRUB Menu (eMMC is disabled and ssd brand new, so the USB boot automatically)
          3. Press Enter to start installation
          4. If the installer start, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and do it again.
        • I did it again, and again, again, at least 30 times without any issue than, after many retries same problem, black screen and nothing!

It's totally Random and really seems to be a BIOS issue to me since this time. When the black screen happen, ctrl+alt+del do nothing. I have to long press the power button for about 5 seconds to power off the NUC.

I should have a brand new NUC6CAYH tomorrow to test if it's specific to my NUC or not, since I already have NIC issue with this one but I need it for development (NUC6CAYS - Ethernet Issue )

Tested with a brand new NUC6CAYH, a different 4GB Kingston memory module and a different brand SSD (PNY) - Same Issue

Procedure to reproduce the issue in this post: Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze and can be downloaded here: https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/485079-171358/RebootScript.md.zip

Thanks a lot for support

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Unite™ app communities.

Perfect, please let us know the results of trying the new NUC.

Besides that, do you have the option to test the NUC using Windows?
          The reason is because Intel tested the NUC using that operating system. We do know that some users are using Ubuntu successfully with the NUC, but if you have the chance to use Windows, that will let us know if the problem might be related to the operating system or the NUC itself.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
            JPelletier

Hi,

Yes I tested it with windows by re-enabling eMMC in bios since this is the NUC6CAYS model, not the NUC6CAYH that I should have tomorrow. I've not test Windows on the SSD, only tested with the built-in eMMC

For Windows, what I did is auto-reboot every 30 seconds or so for about 1 hour. I've not experienced any issue but for our project we want to use Ubuntu and we are ordering 500 units soon if not already done.... this is a major issue for us and really would like to make it work with Ubuntu.

I will keep my Windows test running all night long and will post the result tomorrow morning.

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
              JPelletier

Windows 10 Home installed on the eMMC rebooted correctly every minutes or so during 14 hours. So it's not affecting Windows installed on the eMMC.

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                JPelletier

I really want to fix that issue, I enabled early printk  (earlyprintk=efi) on my linux kernel boot and when the problem occurs, it's right after the last lines of early printk:

[ 0.00000] Console: colour dummy device 80x25
                [ 0.00000] console [tty0] enabled

[ 0.00000] bootconsole [earlyefi0] disabled

**Freeze here**

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

In this case, we will start a research on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution. Is there any technical reason why you need this specific model of NUC?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                  Alberto R

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                    Apachez

If you burn a Ubuntu 17.04 iso on a DVD and boot from that as a livecd - does the same black screen occur?

Do you have other monitors connected to the NUC?

Possible to try another monitor along with another monitorcable just to rule things out (perhaps something is broken so the NUC gets incorrect information from the monitor of its capabilities and because of that fails?).

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                      JPelletier

The reasons why we need that specific model are: Price and Specs. It's exactly the price we want to pay and the minimal specs we need.

Apachez: I'll try thanks for the idea

• 8. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for providing that information.

Please let us know the results of trying the steps above so we can continue with our research.

Regards,
                        Alberto R

• 9. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                          JPelletier

Hi,

I got a new NUC6CAYH (barebone model) yesterday with same SSD model (another brand new one) and Kingston KVR16LS11/4 memory module.

I installed the same BIOS / Ubuntu Server and reproduced the same issue after 1 hour 15 minutes, system was rebooting every minute.

Mon Jul  3 15:33:48 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Mon Jul  3 15:34:03 EDT 2017 Reboot

Mon Jul  3 15:34:39 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Mon Jul  3 15:34:54 EDT 2017 Reboot

===> System rebooted normally for more than 1 hour <===

Mon Jul  3 16:18:54 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Mon Jul  3 16:19:09 EDT 2017 Reboot

===> Computer never rebooted  <===

I had to hold power button this morning to shutdown the computer that was on a black screen. It was

• 10. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                            JPelletier

If you want to try exactly the same thing, I attached the procedure to reproduce the issue with the auto-reboot service. It seems to take more time to reproduce the issue with the NUC6CAYH than my NUC6CAYS.

• 11. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                              JPelletier

I did more tests this morning, here are my observations:

1. NUC6CAYH with 4GB of RAM seems to freeze rarely. For now the only freeze I got with this NUC is the one I posted here earlier.
                              2. Both computers were running simultaneously. I had to reset NUC6CAYS  manually 3 times in about 30 minutes while the NUC6CAYH  always rebooted correctly.
                              3. Connected the NUC6CAYS on another Monitor using VGA instead of HDMI - Same Issue - Freeze every 15 minutes or so while rebooting
                              4. Reinstalled Ubuntu Server on another SSD in NUC6CAYS (PNY CS1311 120GB) - Same Issue - Freeze every 15 minutes or so while rebooting.
                              5. Swapped memory: Installed 2GB module from NUC6CAYS (original one) in NUC6CAYH  and 4GB from NUC6CAYH  to NUC6CAYS.
                                • NUC6CAYS rebooted correctly for the past 45 minutes, not a single freeze!
                                • NUC6CAYH hang twice in the past 45 minutes.

Installed memory module really seems to make a difference, but the problem doesn't completely go away with the 4GB since I reproduced the issue at least once.

Note: I'm always wearing an anti-static wrist strap while working with the hardware.

[EDIT]

Experienced my first freeze with the NUC6CAYS after 1h15min using the 4GB memory module instead of the stock 2GB one. Exactly the same time than yesterday with the NUC6CAYH when using that memory module :S

Tue Jul  4 09:32:22 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Tue Jul  4 09:32:37 EDT 2017 Reboot

Tue Jul  4 09:33:00 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

====> Rebooted Correctly <====

Tue Jul  4 10:47:55 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Tue Jul  4 10:48:10 EDT 2017 Reboot

Tue Jul  4 10:48:33 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Tue Jul  4 10:48:48 EDT 2017 Reboot

====> FREEZE <====

[EDIT 2]

Restarted my test using the  NUC6CAYS + 4GB Ram Module KVR16LS11/4 and again, computer hang after about 1h15min. I also did a test with memtest86 on the other NUC (the 2GB memory module), no errors found.

Tue Jul  4 11:13:17 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Tue Jul  4 11:13:32 EDT 2017 Reboot

Tue Jul  4 11:13:55 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Tue Jul  4 11:14:10 EDT 2017 Reboot

Tue Jul  4 12:45:12 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Tue Jul  4 12:45:27 EDT 2017 Reboot

Tue Jul  4 12:45:49 EDT 2017 Script Started - Waiting

Tue Jul  4 12:46:04 EDT 2017 Reboot

====> FREEZE <====

• 12. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                                Intel Corporation

: Thank you once again for providing those details.

We will add that information to our research. As soon as I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Regards,
                                Alberto R

• 13. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                                  JPelletier

Yesterday I did a modification to my Reboot Script, I modified the Sleep 15 seconds to Sleep 60 seconds before rebooting and the NUC6CAYS + 4GB Ram Module KVR16LS11/4 is still rebooting normally this morning. So if you try to reproduce please use the procedure I posted earlier with 2GB ram.

• 14. Re: NUC6CAYS - Random boot freeze
                                    JPelletier

Additional test result:

NUC6CAYH + 2GB Ram Module + Rebooting every 60 seconds: Stop rebooting correctly after 1 hour (Same setup that worked for 14 hours with the NUc using 4GB memory)

Wed Jul  5 11:35:07 EDT 2017 System Started - Waiting

Wed Jul  5 11:36:08 EDT 2017 Rebooting

Wed Jul  5 12:35:56 EDT 2017 System Started - Waiting

Wed Jul  5 12:36:56 EDT 2017 Rebooting

====> FREEZE <====

1 2 3 Previous Next