6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 1:20 PM by Intel Corporation

Recognize USB on startup

PeterHand

One of the features of the current Joule OS/Bios is that it works as a network device when plugged into a Linux box.  This works great, I can assign an IP and ping in either direction.  However, when I reboot the joule , if it is still plugged into my Linux box when the reboot occurs, the joule does not enumerate USB until I disconnect it and re-plug it in. Has anyone discovered a workaround to have the joule detect USB devices on bootup? Thank you.

-Peter

• 1. Re: Recognize USB on startup
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi PeterHand,

Thank you for contacting us. Please allow us to investigate more about this issue. We’ll contact you as soon as we have an update.

Regards,
          -Sergio A

• 2. Re: Recognize USB on startup
            Intel Corporation

Hi PeterHand,

Thank you for your patience. We’ve done some brief tests and would like to know more information about your testing scenario, since we’re not able to observe the same results as you.

We’ve tested this in a Windows 10 machine and with a Joule using 
            root@intel-5xx-64:~# cat /etc/*release
            ID="ref-os-iot"
            NAME="Ref-Os-Iot"
            VERSION="1.0+snapshot-20170524"
            VERSION_ID="1.0-snapshot-20170524"
            PRETTY_NAME="Ref-Os-Iot 1.0+snapshot-20170524"
            BUILD_ID="20170530163113"

Each time we connected a USB drive to the Joule, the files linked to the USB (sda, sda1, sda2 and sda3) appeared under /dev. The same thing happens after a reboot, the sda files continue to appear under /dev.

Is your testing environment different than ours? Let us know if we’re missing anything.
            We’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
            -Sergio A

• 3. Re: Recognize USB on startup
              PeterHand

Sergio,

Thanks for the response.  I repeated your test and came up with the same results, however, I am speaking about the USB-C connectivity rather than the USB-A port.  My exact scenario, repeated with a Ubuntu host laptop, a Windows 10 host laptop, and a samsung galaxy s8 android phone is as follows:

ID="ref-os-iot"

NAME="Ref-Os-Iot"

VERSION="1.0+snapshot-20170616"

VERSION_ID="1.0-snapshot-20170616"

PRETTY_NAME="Ref-Os-Iot 1.0+snapshot-20170616"

BUILD_ID="20170622174208"

(we bitbaked our own image using the 01org source)

When connecting any device or host to the USB-C port it properly enumerates as expected (verified by dmesg output, lsusb, etc).  disconnecting also behaves as expected., all

However, upon reboot of the Joule, all devices/hosts connected to the USB-C port fail to be enumerated on bootup and only will enumerate if disconnected and reconnected.

Hope this clears it up, thank you!

• 4. Re: Recognize USB on startup
                Intel Corporation

Hi PeterHand,

Thank you for your prompt reply and for running these tests. Have you made any modifications to the image or did you build the default one without any modifications? Please consider that custom images are out of the support scope of this team.
                Do you see the same results while using the image already available here https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-joule-getting-started (without building it yourself)? The recommended configuration is to use the firmware and OS: FW 1H3 + OS 1705.

Let us know if this issue persists after using the recommended BIOS and OS.

Regards,
                -Sergio A

• 5. Re: Recognize USB on startup
                  PeterHand

Sergio, same results with the best known configuration.  Thank you for looking into it further!

• 6. Re: Recognize USB on startup
                    Intel Corporation

Hi PeterHand,

Thank you for your patience. We’ve been investigating further about this case. We’ve attempted to replicate your issue, but are unable to see what you’re observing. The firmware and OS we used is 1H3 + 1706. We also tested with the previous OS (1705) and it worked fine.

Let us know if you managed to solve this problem or if we’re missing any details that might lead us to obtain different results from yours.

Regards,
                    -Sergio A