1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 8:26 AM by MarkusK

NUC6CAYH - HDR?

MarkusK

Will NUC6CAYH get a Intel Graphics driver update to support HDR? In another thread someone from Intel posted that the HDR update will come exclusively to Kaby Lake and NUC6CAYH is technically not Kaby Lake...?

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In regard to your inquiry, the latest graphics driver which is 4678 supports the High-dynamic-range feature. The driver should be included on Windows® 10 and remember that the TV/Monitor you are using needs to support the feature as well. So, in this case the best thing to do will be to get in contact with Microsoft in order to get further details about this matter:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26431/NUCs-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6CAYS-and-NUC6CAYH?product=95062

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
            Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to let you know that I did further research on this matter and just to be clear, our Intel platform and graphics driver do support HDR. In order to use this feature what we recommend is to install a 3rd party tool that supports it. As mentioned above, as long as the TV/Monitor supports it as well, you will be able to use that way.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards
            Alberto R

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
              MarkusK

Windows 10 Pro Build 1703

Intel Graphics 4678

LG E6 (with the corresponding HDMI set to Ultra HD Deep Color = On)

And I can't get the HDR toggle to show up in Windows. I'm not sure if there are settings missing that I should adjust.

(Resolution always 3840 x 2160p, tried different refresh rates between 23Hz and 60Hz, tried RGB and YCbCr, NUC connected directly to TV, 2160p@60 works so it's not the cable)

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                Intel Corporation

I will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                  cvare

I'm working on getting an answer for you.

MarkusK, Alberto Windows does NOT support HDR at this point.  It was meant to happen on Creators Update (version 1703), it did not.  Hopefully it will happen in the fall release. 

The ONLY way to play HDR over Windows is with an application like PowerDVD Pro 17. 

I will update this thread on whether or not this NUC can even play HDR, when I get an answer from the GFX team.

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                    MarkusK

I am actually using PowerDVD 17 Ultra and it claims to switch into HDR mode, but my TV does not switch into HDR mode.

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                      cvare

So this may be our answer.

I'm still trying to get an official answer though.  Will update this thread when I have it.

• 8. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                        MarkusK

Is there some kind of tool/app to test if HDR is working?

• 9. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                          cvare

Good question. 

That's one item I'm trying to figure out.

Though I'd imagine if you do the same exact thing on a computer that supports HDR and it works, and then you try it on the NUC and it doesn't, it probably doesn't.  BTW, our official stance is that it doesn't support HDR, but I really wanted to double check with the GFX team.

• 10. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                            MarkusK

It has HDMI 2.0, the LSPCon chip supposedly supports HDR, it does HEVC 10-bit decoding... why would it not support HDR output?!

• 11. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                              Mangoat

Cvare, is it possibly another firmware issue with the LSPCon like the bitstream support you helped us out with?

I got an HDR TV last week and have spent some hours puzzling out why HDR mode wouldn't engage and realised today it must be hardware or driver level.

The same files work fine via MPC-HC & MadVR on my GTX 1060 main PC using the same cables, AVR etc that do not work on the NUC.

The models were advertised as 4k capable which to me means they should support HDR - if the PS4 slim and Xbox One S can support HDR and had updates to enable it I'd like to think the more recent NUC can/should.

As always thanks in advance for your time looking into it.

• 12. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                                cvare

Hi all, I have finally gotten an answer. 

The Intel® NUC Kit NUC6CAYS/H does not support HDR.

• 13. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                                  MarkusK

Is that going to change?

I don't see why it would NOT support HDR. It has HDMI 2.0 via LSPCon like Kaby Lake. It has HEVC 10-bit hardware decoding like Kaby Lake. Some people said it already had working HDR (during Creator's Update RC maybe?)

• 14. Re: NUC6CAYH - HDR?
                                    Mangoat

Can you elaborate on why not? As noted already I find it hard to understand when technology marketed as 4k in 2017 does not support it when older hardware has had support patched in such as the 2015 Nvida Shield which got HDR support earlier this year.  I sold the Shield for the NUC, seems like it may have been a mistake!

1 2 Previous Next