6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 1:11 PM by Intel Corporation

C600 series chipset HM 70 express vs i3/i5/i7

Tr0y

Hi.

Like many others I tried to upgrade my B960 to i3 2328m & i7 2670m.

Like many others I got 30 min perfectly working laptop after upgrade. (it restarts each 30 minutes).

Downgrade back to B960 solves this problem (no unwilling restarts)

Some users say that its a "low budget laptop" restriction for upgrade incorporated by Intel in HM 70 (at least as an option for oem vendors).

Many others say that resoldering to HM 75/76/77 chipset is the only option to upgrade to "I" CPUs (that reaffirms "low budget" statement)

I tried to think about it for a moment:
      we have "limited" chipset
      it has a timer, that turns off the power

I bet it is part of the BIOS that checks for "right" plugged CPU.

Also I guess its a chipset firmware CPU verification - so that must be (un / modified) Intel ME firmware.

So my question is:

Where can I get functional description of the HM-70 CPU binding feature in ME firmware?

• 1. Re: C600 series chipset HM 70 express vs i3/i5/i7
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tr0y,

I understand that you upgraded the CPU of your computer and since then the computer shuts down every 30 minutes.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

What happens is that each computer manufacturer validates the CPUs that will be compatible with each computer model.  Even if the CPU fits in the CPU socket the BIOS needs to have the proper microcode to be able to recognize it.  This microcode is only installed by the computer manufacturer through a BIOS update.

What I can recommend is contacting the laptop manufacturer so they can give you a list of CPUs that have been validated for your specific computer model.

Regards,
          Fred D.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: C600 series chipset HM 70 express vs i3/i5/i7
            Tr0y

Hi Fred!

Thanks for your reply!

Could you please confirm on behalf of Intel that exactly wrong microcode section in BIOS is the reason of 30 min restart issue?

Also could you please explain:

1. Is there a reason for 30 min period? Is it a period for reflashing to "correct" BIOS version that supports i processors?
            2. Could you confirm that HM 70 hasn't built in hardware limitations that restricts to use i processors?
            • 3. Re: C600 series chipset HM 70 express vs i3/i5/i7
              Intel Corporation

Hello Tr0y,

The 30 minutes restart issue could be due to different things from an electrical limitation to the lack of proper microcode in the BIOS.

The Intel HM70 chipset has been mainly designed for Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron CPUs.  We cannot guarantee an Intel® Core™ CPU will be able to work fine with that chipset.

The best option would be contacting the laptop manufacturer so they can provide a list of CPUs your specific laptop model will support.

Regards,
              Fred D.

• 4. Re: C600 series chipset HM 70 express vs i3/i5/i7
                Intel Corporation

Hello Tr0y,

I was reviewing this case and I was wondering if you were able to contact your computer manufacturer to validate this upgrade.

Allan J.

• 5. Re: C600 series chipset HM 70 express vs i3/i5/i7
                  Tr0y

Hi Allan.

Thanks for your attention.

Packard Bell support team replied that they don't consult on their own products upgrade. (guess which product I will never buy anymore )

But I discussed my problem with a pro on some forum. He told me it might be ME/BIOS ACPI and gave some instructions.

So right now I'm trying to solve this puzzle by myself using available tools.

• 6. Re: C600 series chipset HM 70 express vs i3/i5/i7
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Tr0y,

I hope you can get this computer upgraded soon. Thank you for sharing this information.

Allan J.