5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 12:58 PM by meme03

ixgbe: Link not ready

meme03

I purchased a motherboard that came with an Intel 82599 10-Gigabit network adapter (rev 01). I knew nothing about it when I bought the board; I simply want a network connection, regardless of the speed. I have it connected to a normal consumer-grade router (almost certainly not 10 gbps, although its speed isn't stated) with an ordinary ethernet cable. The setup connects just fine with my laptop, but never gets past "Link not ready" on the new system.  I installed the ixgbe driver, but it doesn't help any. I was reading the (amazingly long...) Readme that comes with the driver and I don't understand the half of it. It sounds like you may have to do something special to connect to a non-10 Gbps link with it?  I don't care about connection speed, I just want a connection.

Sorry for such a newbie question!

Ed:

]# ethtool eno1 Settings for eno1: Supported ports: [ FIBRE ] Supported link modes: 10000baseT/Full Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Supports auto-negotiation: No Advertised link modes: 100000baseT/Full Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Advertised auto-negotiation: No Speed: Unknown! Duplex: Unknown! (255) Port: Other PHYAD: 0 Transceiver: external Auto-negotiation: off Supports Wake-on: d Wake-on: d Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) drv probe link Link detected: no

Um, wow, that doesn't look good. Especially only "supported ports: fibre"; my cables are copper, just regular ethernet, connected to the ethernet port. No support for copper?  .... this might explain why my attempts to set the speed (e.g. "ethtool -s eno1 speed 1000 duplex full") were failing with "invalid argument", it's saying it doesn't support anything other than 10000baseT/Full fibre....  But the docs say the card is supposed to support both fibre and copper, or at least it sounds that way... hmmm...