Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

HDMI audio device disappears when adding driver

TPaqu
Novice

I have a Lenovo Miix 700 with the Intel HD 515. I've installed the latest driver from Lenovo's website. Video works great, each time, every time. Audio via the HDMI interface never happens.

Screenshots below.

You'll notice that the High Definition Audio Device listed is the "generic" driver from MS that "sees" the HMDI audio on the HD 515.

Playback devices "sees" an HMDI audio device that it thinks is unplugged.

Updating the driver to the one provided with the GFX driver changes the "High Definition Audio Device" to "Intel(R) Display Audio".

Now the "Playback devices" doesn't see anything, which I'd expect as the TV is not connected at this point.

But here's the thing. It NEVER sees anything connected and Playback devices never updates to show it.

Connecting the TV, it doesn't update

Rebooting the tablet, while connected to the TV, it doesn't update.

Changing HDMI cables, it doesn't update.

Changing HDMI ports, it doesn't update.

Changing GFX drivers, it doesn't update.

I've tried the latest from Intel, and about 12 different versions of previous drivers, each time doing a full uninstall of the old device and drivers. Nothing seems to make the tablet see the HDMI audio.

Thoughts? Am I missing something obvious?

Windows 10 Pro 1703 (Creator Edition).

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TPaqu
Novice

And yes "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" are checked in Sound/Playback devices.

Versions of HD 515 driver I've tried. All do not work.

win64_154519.4678

win64_154518.4664

win64_154516.4627

win64_154514.4590

win64_154510.4542

win64_154034.4624

win64_154028.4501

win64_154025.4463

Lenovo driver 21.20.16.455 (7il202af.exe). (currently installed)

They do not provide older versions of drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TrevP,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues to play audio over HDMI. Can you please try the following and let me know how it goes?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstall the graphics driver and the display audio driver via Device Manager method:

Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method
  1. Open the Device Manager using the steps provided for your operating system:

Windows XP: Start > Control Panel > Select Device Manager.

Windows Vista: Right click My Computer and select Manage. Navigate to the Device Manager on the side bar.

Windows 7: Click Start > Run, type: devmgmt.msc

Windows 8 and 8.1: Press the Windows key and the x key together, select Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method
  1. Open the Device Manager, using the steps provided for your operating system.

Windows XP: Start > Control Panel, select Device Manager.

Windows Vista: Right click My Computer, select Manage. Navigate to the Device Manager in the side bar.

Windows 7: Click Start, at the run prompt type: devmgmt.msc

Windows 8 and 8.1: Press the Windows key and the x key together, select Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Sound, video and game controllers section.
  3. Find and right click Intel Display Audio or Intel HDMI Display Audio.
  4. Select Uninstall.
  5. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
Once this is completed, please https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html manually install the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26836/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88354 graphics driver.

When the graphics driver is installed, restart the system and make sure the Intel® Display Audio driver version is 10.22.1.100.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan V.

0 Kudos
TPaqu
Novice

I've tried that (see response 1 in this thread), but I tried it again as you requested.

Now running Graphics driver 21.20.16.4678 and Intel Display Audio driver 10.22.1.100.

Nothing changed. Video works great. The HMDI audio is not seen.

As you see below, the system "sees" the TV.

I tried on other TVs as well. Same issue. The system sees the TVs, but no HMDI is audio is setup.

I have another device that I tried as well, just to check. It's not the TV, nor the HDMI cable. It connects fine; both video and audio come through the HDMI connection to the TV. The device is using the Intel HD 520 graphics chipset.

0 Kudos
TPaqu
Novice

I just noticed something in the HD Graphics Control Panel screenshot above.

Why is the Connector type being shown as "DisplayPort"? Shouldn't this be "HDMI"?

When I connect the TV to another system, where this works (running HD graphics 520) it is displayed as HDMI. Could this be the root cause? Why would the 515 be showing everything connected to it as DisplayPort?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TrevP,

Both HDMI and DP have audio output so this shouldn't be the issue.

At this point, I would recommend contacting Lenovo for support, this because you have tested all graphics drivers available and the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
TPaqu
Novice

Will do thanks.

Please leave this thread open. I'll add the resolution from Lenovo here if we can solve this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi TrevP,

I will be awaiting the outcomes.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi TrevP,

I have sent you a private message.