4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 3:04 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6CAYS not recognizing MSATA

k_allhands

Curious boot issue.  Went to re-image internal MSATA using bootable thumb drive with confirmed-good OPENELEC image/installer.  Installer thumb drive recognized presence of MSATA and successfully deployed image.  However, when I go into BIOS on NUC, it does not recognize presence of MSATA.  This is the case whether I set boot type to "Windows" or "Linux."

What settings/configuration/BIOS change to I need to make to get the system to recognize the re-imaged MSATA?

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYS not recognizing MSATA
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello k_allhands,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your Intel® NUC.
          On this Intel® NUC, there is only the following:

• eMMC internal/embedded storage which contained the OS (Windows® 10 Home + Product Key Code)
          • M.2 connector type E that was prepopulated with Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 module. This connector only supports wireless/Bluetooth/cellular devices (here is a good article describing different types of connectors).
          • A SATA 3.0 connector that supports one 2.5“ SSD or HDD up to 9.5mm.
          My recommendations are the following:
          • Make sure you have supported devices installed.
          • The eMMC storage is enabled in the BIOS (under onboard devices).
          • Confirm you have the latest BIOS. If yes, please try a BIOS recovery.
          • Confirm OpenELEC is supported on flash memory/eMMC.
          You may need to add an SSD/HDD to install the OS and make the system to work.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
          Juan V.
          • 2. Re: NUC6CAYS not recognizing MSATA
            N.Scott.Pearson

It's not an mSATA; it's an eMMC. After configuring for Linux, exit Visual BIOS with a save and, during reboot, use F2 to then reenter Visual BIOS. This will cause eMMC to be disabled, I believe. You re-enable its support in the Advanced / Devices and Peripherals scene. Add checkmark for the eMMC Built-in Storage option in the Onboard Devices tab. I believe you are also required to enable UEFI and install the O/S for UEFI (i.e. to GPT-based partitions).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYS not recognizing MSATA
              k_allhands

thank you for the procedure.  Will attempt first thing and reply back within 24 hours with result.

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYS not recognizing MSATA
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello k_allhands,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,
                Juan V.