4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2017 11:28 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6CAYH Detecting motherboard sensors with lm-sensors

Konpon96

I've purchased NUC6CAYH unit to serve me as a small, always-on, multipurpose server (looking forward to Docker awesomeness). Installed Fedora 25 Server on it, runs great, when it's idle temperature goes below 50 degrees and unit is passively cooled, exactly what I was looking for, especially that it's possible to tune the performance with tuned.

However, I'd like to be able to monitor all the sensors and fan speed when the system is running, so after updating everything with dnf upgrade, I installed dm-sensors. However, after issuing sensors-detect and choosing "yes" in every option, it only discovers coretemp driver that allows me to look up CPU temperature:

2017-06-22_172931.png

After issuing sensors I only get this:

2017-06-22_173119.png

How about the super I/O chip? Which kernel module should I download, compile and/or modprobe to make lm-sensors detect all the sensor readings like fan speed, voltages and motherboard temperatures?

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH Detecting motherboard sensors with lm-sensors
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Konpon96,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Intel only validated this unit with Windows® 10, Intel did not test or validated this NUC with Fedora or any Linux* distro. We recommend you use the latest kernel. If you need assistance with Linux* on Intel NUC, check your distro's website and forums for peer assistance.
          You can get the proper support at the following link:
          https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/questions/

Please check Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

You can also wait for Fedora users to post here with a solution.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH Detecting motherboard sensors with lm-sensors
            N.Scott.Pearson

Konrad,

The new AY and BN NUCs do not utilize a SIO device. Instead, they have a brand new EC device. Because of this - and also because custom firmware was developed for this EC (to support, amongst other things, the Ring and Button LED management) - none of the existing EC implementations understood by lm-sensors (or any of the 3rd-party monitoring program for Linux or Windows) will be compatible. I am working with the developers to deliver a sample module that will show this capability. Unfortunately, I have been very busy with other things lately (retirement is a lot of work). Stay tuned...

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: NUC6CAYH Detecting motherboard sensors with lm-sensors
              Konpon96

Thank you very much for clarifying the situation, N.Scott.Pearson.

Actually I took into account that such a recent device could mean that part of the on-board devices might have no full kernel coverage yet. Still, it's nothing I can complain about - after all, this NUC is the first device I own where lshw didn't show any unclaimed devices out of box. I'm not Linux nor POSIX developer, so I don't know how to find corresponding files in /dev or /sys catalogues to cat and echo them, not to mention writing a kernel module to allow lm-sensors to read them. However, I hope it's just a matter of developing the module, without fighting with manufacturer obstacles (since I own some ASUS devices, I know they do many things that make Linux users' life painful). Knowing that Intel is one of the biggest Linux kernel contributors among corporations, I hope they didn't make any weird decision about locking access to EC, especially that there are "SW control" options for the Ring and power button LED in BIOS, clearly exposing some interface for people to tinker with.

Anyway, thank you again and I'm looking forward to checking your work!

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH Detecting motherboard sensors with lm-sensors
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Konpon96,

Did you try posting your inquiry at the Fedora site, you will get better answer there:
                https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/questions/

Regards,

Ivan U.