4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 5:01 PM by Intel Corporation

OTG USB not working as Edison as Host

amarsa

Hello, I'm trying to connect a LTE USB modem to the OTG port of intel edison in a mini breakout board. I supply external power (12v) and turns ON normaly.

I tried connecting a USB micro-B to the beakout board's OTG USB. It does not turn ON voltage on that port, so LTE modem remains OFF. I tried with a pendrive and so, but nothing works.

Also I tried to disable serial console on that port, I found in this threat the last answer that say the commands to disable:

systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyMFD2.service

systemctl mask serial-getty@ttyMFD2

Doesn't change anything.

I have to say that command dmesg detects something connected to the OTG port, but lsusb and so doesn't detect anything.

I found that Edison to act as a OTG Host, need a micro-A USB and to act as a device, a micro-B USB, so that's a point that maybe is there the problem. I search for a micro-A USB OTG and found nothing, it's a very uncommon connector the micro-A, depracated, so I don't understand why Edison needs this connector, is there a different internal wiring??

What I have to do? I haven't found anything about this, only few people that can't get OTG working like me, but any solution. I what to use the OTG, not the serial ttyMFD2.

Thanks, I can provide more if needed.

• 1. Re: OTG USB not working as Edison as Host
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Amarsa,

Thanks for reaching out.

Absolutely, as you have mentioned if you plug a micro-A cable into J16 port, the Edison module will connect as a host, and if you plug a micro-B cable, the Edison will connect as a device. When the Edison works as a host, there are some aspects that you should take into consideration. First, you must supply external power via J21 or J22 (which is something you are doing), the Edison will convert that voltage to supply 5V to the USB connector. Second, the USB_ID signal must be grounded.

So I think the issue is with the second aspect, a USB type-A is mostly intended for host devices and a USB type-B for peripheral devices. The OTG cable has a micro-A, which has a USB_ID pin grounded, and it must be plugged to J16 and the micro-B, which has the ID pin floating to the peripheral device.

I’d recommend you to use an adapter cable, USB A female to Micro A male, in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board Hardware Guide (page 14) you can see a sample of that cable, also you can look for it writing “USB A female to Micro A male” on the internet.

Additionally, you may take a look at this other thread HowTo: connect USB camera and..., where some users posted their connections using the Edison as a host and also the link where they bought the USB –OTG adapter.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.     

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OTG USB not working as Edison as Host
            Intel Corporation

Hi Amarsa,

Do you still need help in this case?

Regards,
            -Yermi A.

• 3. Re: OTG USB not working as Edison as Host
              amarsa

yes, I'm using ubilinux and I have another problem. When I reboot with the otg device, I have to solve this, but i'm using ubilinux:

How to Patch ACM0 on Intel® Edison Boards

what is the general solution??? for ubilinux

• 4. Re: OTG USB not working as Edison as Host
                Intel Corporation

I would like to let you know that we support the Yocto image which is the official supported image for the Intel Edison. Regarding the issue using Ubilinux, I’d highly recommend you to contact Emutex: https://emutex.com/about-us/contact-us, since Ubilinux is an embedded Linux distribution from Emutex and they can provide you a more accurate answer regarding this particular issue.

Regards,
                -Yermi A.