4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2017 2:11 PM by Intel Corporation

Eyestrain advice

FLN

Hello,

I stumbled upon this forum and am looking for guidance on finding a new laptop that doesn't cause eyestrain. I have using the same laptop for a few years with great success - HP G71-340US which comes with the Mobile Intel Series 4 Express Chipset and even picked up a couple as spares, upgrading with SSDs and memory and faster Core-2 CPUs to make them useful.  I am a programmer and stare at the screen for hours and hours and have never experienced a nit of eyestrain from this machine - however, it is huge (17.3") and heavy (10 pounds with a long life battery) and while I work for a Fortune 50 company that would buy me whatever I want, I have not been able to find a new notebook from ANY manufacturer that does not give me immediate eyestrain after 5 to 10 minutes.

For years, I thought it was the HP Brightview (LED backlit) screen that was so great - so I did the ultimate experiment and swapped (yes, takeapart) the screen unit in a Toshiba Core i-5 laptop. I turned it on and experienced immediate eyestrain, meaning it was the Intel Chipset and not the screen on the Toshiba laptop that was causing the issues.

I have tried the Surface Pro - eyestrain.

I was excited when the Surface Book came out - eyestrain.

I have tried all manner of Macbooks - from 2010 to newer Retina models - eyestrain.

I have tried AMD machines with integrated AMD GPUs - eyestrain.

I have tried so many laptops that I've lost count.

Our 21.5 2010 iMac? no eyestrain - I can look at it for hours. My guess is that it has integrated AMD graphics.

My work setup - three Dell 1908FP LCD monitors driven by AMD Radeon HD 6350? ZERO eyestrain.

My home setup - old EP45-UD3P core-2 quad desktop with dual Radeon 9800 GPU with two Westinghouse 19" LCD monitors? zero eyestrain.

iPhones? I have a 6 and 6S with zero eyestrain.

The symptoms are as pernicious as they are odd: I get a headache within 5 or 10 minutes that lasts all day and doesn't go away until the following morning.

I cannot be the only one with this issue. I welcome any ideas on new laptops that I can test.

Thanks,

FLN

Below is a snapshot of my Windows 10 driver on my HP laptop that works with my Intel 4 Series integrated chipset HP laptop with zero eyestrain.