6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 12:54 PM by Intel Corporation

Nuc 7i7bnh no screen first boot

numas909

Hi, so I put in the ram and ssd drive and plugged in a monitor and hdmi and the device powers on and stays on but nothing shows on the screen.

I removed the ram and it flashes the power button blue, so I think the ram is okay.

The monitor and hdmi cable work on another Nuc that I have. I also tried another monitor (different brand) and different hdmi cable and still nothing shows on the screen.

I removed the jumper on the bios protection and tried to run the bios upgrade but still nothing seemed to happen.

I have the win10 flash drive plugged into the USB also. Plus when I plus my USB devices like keyboard into it the keyboard lights and mouse do not activate.. so it doesn't look like the usb ports are becoming active even though the power light is on blue and solid.

I will update with ram and hdd details later as I don't have them on me now.

Not sure what else I can try.. any advice?

• 1. Re: Nuc 7i7bnh no screen first boot
          suprfast06

You can't see the Intel NUC splash screen when you power on? Or can access the BIOS setup? On any TV or monitor? And the front lights on the NUC is not flashing with the RAM installed? Very strange... hopefully you don't have a DOA product.

Have you tried a USB-C to HDMI adaptor?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Nuc 7i7bnh no screen first boot
            numas909

yeah no splash screen at all, ever. I tried the bios upgrade as I thought it might work differently but it didn't seem to run either.

It's running on a standard lcd screen, tried with another one that I know is working but still nothing.

Yeah lights don't flash with ram installed, the blue light is solid. Remove the ram and the light blinks though. Tried the stick of ram in both slot as well - I only have one stick of 8gb.

• 3. Re: Nuc 7i7bnh no screen first boot
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for the information posted above.

Hi : Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

At this point pretty much you tried all the steps we recommend in order to try to fix this problem. Another thing to try will to test the NUC with minimal configuration, without hard drive or SSD, that way we should get the splash screen or at least an error message. Now remember them proper memory for this NUC is: DDR4-2133 1.2V SO-DIMM:
              http://ark.intel.com/products/95065/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i7BNH

Other than that and if you do not have the option to use a USB-C to HDMI adaptor the next thing to do will be to replace the NUC.
              The NUC has 3 years of warranty with Intel, and if you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact with Intel directly:
              Chat support:
              http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat,

For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:
              EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3
              APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF
              LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4
              North America: Phone Number  1-916-377-7000, Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: Nuc 7i7bnh no screen first boot
                N.Scott.Pearson

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First, some questions. Please provide full part numbers everywhere you can...

What RAM did you install?

What SSD did your install? Is it 2.5" SATA? M.2 SATA? M.2 NVMe?

What monitor are you using?

What is the pedigree of the HDMI cable(s) you have tried? It minimally needs to be HDMI 1.4 compliant. For 4K, it needs to be HDMI 2.0 compliant.

...S

• 5. Re: Nuc 7i7bnh no screen first boot
                  numas909

Thanks, yes I checked the ram and they gave me 2400 Mhz ram but I brought and was invoiced for 2133 DDR4 -- at the time I said would it still be okay and he said it should just 'down clock' (they didn't have 2133mhz in stock that day)... but apparently it doesn't so he knows that as well now.

So I went back and they swapped it because 2133 was in stock and it came straight up, now installing things.. thanks!T

• 6. Re: Nuc 7i7bnh no screen first boot
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: You are welcome. Perfect, thank you very much for providing that information, it is great to hear that the NUC is working fine now.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                    Alberto R