9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 1:58 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

UEFI bios freezing

Ntrigger

Hi, I have a boxnuc7i5bnh and I am using a logitech k810 keyboard by bluetooth and performance mouse mx by usb. I'm trying to get into the bios using my mouse rather than keeping a spare keyboard just to edit the bios.

If I use the windows option through recovery to boot the machine into the bios, the mouse is frozen and does not respond.

If I boot to bios by using the f2 key on a spare keyboard, everything works fine.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix it? I'd love to be able to just have one keyboard as I bought my NUC for its compact nature, and keeping a backup keyboard seems counter intuitive.

Any plans to integrate Bluetooth to the bios? That would be far the preferred option.

• 1. Re: UEFI bios freezing
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Ntrigger,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues to get to the BIOS when using the Bluetooth keyboard.

At this moment the BIOS only offers the option to enable or disable the Bluetooth but not to pair a device in the BIOS, the only workaround is the one you already know.

I have sent this feedback to the appropriate team, hopefully, that option will be available in a new BIOS release.

Best Regards,
          Juan V.

• 2. Re: UEFI bios freezing
            Ntrigger

Thanks for the reply, but this does not really answer the question... when I restart to UEFI from windows recovery settings, the UEFI bios screen is frozen and I can't move my mouse. Is that specific to me or recreatable?

• 3. Re: UEFI bios freezing
              Intel Corporation

Hello Ntrigger,

I tested the following:

• Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH with BIOS version 0046.
              • Logitech K810 Keyboard.
              • Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse.
              I restarted to UEFI firmware from Windows® 10 and the keyboard didn't work (expected); however, the mouse worked without any issues.

Best Regards,
              Juan V.
              • 4. Re: UEFI bios freezing
                N.Scott.Pearson

I hate to say it Juan, but there are a *lot* of folks with Logitech keyboards and mice out here. This is likely the number one preferred supplier for both keyboards and mice. As such, I find it unacceptable that any of them have a problem and I certainly don't like seeing you saying that one of them not working is "expected" (as if this was acceptable). If there is a known issue with any Logitech keyboard or mouse, it should be fixed with high priority across the product line! This issue likely explains a significant chunk of the reports of people not being able to get into or having problems with Visual BIOS. Considering that those that result in a RMA incur a significant cost for Intel (not to mention the cost of you having to be here to address these issues), it behoves you to see this issue properly addressed...

...S

• 5. Re: UEFI bios freezing
                  Intel Corporation

Hello N. Scott Pearson,

I appreciate your response.

I indicated that the keyboard not working in the BIOS is expected because the Bluetooth pairing from the BIOS is not an option on these Intel® NUCs, this is why it was expected not having any keyboard functionality (in the BIOS). Nevertheless, since the initial post, I forwarded this feedback so they can consider implementing this in a future BIOS release.

As for the mouse, it worked without any issues, so a BIOS update or BIOS recovery could make it work.

Regards,
                  Juan V.

• 6. Re: UEFI bios freezing
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Ntrigger,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,
                    Juan V.

• 7. Re: UEFI bios freezing
                      Ntrigger

HI, thanks for following up, this seem to be working now.

However, bluetooth functionality particularly for the K810 keyboard would be a great addition to the bios!

• 8. Re: UEFI bios freezing
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Ntrigger,

Thank you for letting me know. Your feedback was sent to the appropriate support team.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
                        Juan V.

• 9. Re: UEFI bios freezing
                          N.Scott.Pearson

Nick,

I presume that you are saying that you cannot use the K810 pre-boot, correct? You are fine once in your O/S, right?

...S