12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2017 1:27 PM by Intel Corporation Branched to a new discussion.

Can two boards work together?

T1T4N

I am building a prototype of one of my designs and I need a lot of power but in a small space. I am wondering if it is possible to connect two modules together to increase the overall performance of the device.

• 1. Re: Can two boards work together?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi T1T4N,

Thank you for contacting us. Please allow us to investigate further on your question. We’ll contact you as soon as we have more information.

Regards
          -Sergio A

• 2. Re: Can two boards work together?
            Intel Corporation

Hi T1T4N,

We’d like to have more details on the specifics of your project. What are the project requirements? Have you considered approaching this using parallel programming? Please share more information, this’ll help us provide a more accurate response.

-Sergio A

• 3. Re: Can two boards work together?
              T1T4N

Dear Sergio,

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the late reply, I have been having issues with my postmaster.

I am developing a prototype for a portable, all-in-one games console. The entire circuitry will be housed inside of an empty Xbox One controller as this will make my device truly portable and it gives it a minimal form factor.

As for the function, all I require is that it is capable of playing controller supported PC games (via the Steam® platform) on their lowest settings. This is simply as a proof-of-concept. Secondly, my device must be capable of wirelessly connecting to an HDMI monitor or television by simply inserting a wireless HDMI dongle into the display. Finally, it must support analogue inputs from the triggers and the joysticks and digital inputs from the buttons. I would like to be able to expand upon this technology further (adding more computing power) in order to build the first generation my device.

Parallel programming is something that I would like to implement one day, currently however, I am not a competent programmer. My project is currently in the planning stage as there are still many gaps that need to be addressed.

Kind regards, T1T4N.

• 4. Re: Can two boards work together?
                Intel Corporation

Hi T1T4N,

Thank you for the detailed description. We’ll take this information and contact you as soon as we have an update.

We appreciate your patience.
                -Sergio A

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can two boards work together?
                  T1T4N

Thank you very much. The service has been excellent so far.

• 6. Re: Can two boards work together?
                    Intel Corporation

Hi T1T4N,

Thank you for your kind words. As you know, there are no guides that explicitly explain your question, or even how to physically connect your board and start the code. However, we will try to point you in the right direction, so that you have a better idea on where to start developing your project. 
                    I believe that parallel programming is the way to go if you’re attempting to increase the performance of two Joule boards working together. I’d start by learning more about parallel programming, looking at the documentation available on the Joule and also look for guides on how to approach parallel programming. I know this has been done with Raspberry Pis so maybe checking those projects in the web might be useful. This has not been done in Joule, as it is considered to be outside the scope of support. We can try to help with any questions related to the Joule but please consider that parallel programming is not our area of expertise.

Some of the links you might find useful are:
                    https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/joule/documentation 
                    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=38790 
                    https://pythonprogramming.net/build-supercomputer-raspberry-pi/ 

We encourage you to share your results with the community.

Regards,
                    -Sergio A

• 7. Re: Can two boards work together?
                      T1T4N

Thank you very much. Your information is very useful and your time is much appreciated.

One last thing however: Will the two modules communicate / work together in the same way that two CPUs (mounted on the same motherboard) would?

• 8. Re: Can two boards work together?
                        Intel Corporation

Hi T1T4N,

It's hard to say since we don't have any comparison on how the Joule module will behave in this scenario. In my opinion, two Joule modules won't work as two CPUs in the same motherboard because of the fact that they would have to be connected through an interface like SPI, I2C, UART which may cause a slowdown in the overall performance of both modules when communicating between each other.
                        Unfortunately, there are no tests done that can back this up more specifically, so my suggestions are limited. 

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
                        -Sergio A

• 9. Re: Can two boards work together?
                          T1T4N

Yes, thank you. You have been incredibly helpful and for that, I am very grateful.

Regards,

-T1T4N

• 10. Re: Can two boards work together?
                            Intel Corporation

You’re welcome! I’m glad you’ve found our interactions useful. Don’t hesitate to contact us again if help is needed. We’ll try to help with anything we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                            -Sergio A

• 11. Re: Can two boards work together?
                              T1T4N

Hi, Sergio.

I hope you are well.

Do you offer support for the Edison module? Due to the perceived difficulty of my undertaking, my plans have changed to allow me to start smaller.

Regards,

- T1T4N

• 12. Re: Can two boards work together?
                                Intel Corporation

Hi T1T4N,

We do offer support for the Edison module. Just post your questions in the Edison forum and we’ll help out just as we would on the Joule forum. The link to the Edison community is the following: https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/edison

Regards,
                                -Sergio A

1 of 1 people found this helpful