Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i5 6500 PCH fail and random power outages

JWeer
Novice

Hi,

Since I've built my computer a few months ago I've been experiencing random power outages. Out of the blue my computer will power off. No warning, no blue screen, just instant power down. I can turn it back on immediately and it will work just fine (until another power out occurs).

They seem to be pretty random and not related to the workload of the PC. I can play games for hours and I've also run some stress tests and keeping track of temperatures, but it works fine. But even when idling or just browsing or working in Wndows, it will power down. Somtimes 3 times a day sometimes not for 3 days.

I suspected the power supply, but since Ive replaced it with a brand new one, the problem persists.

Now I've run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it fails on the PCH Check (see attached screenshot), so my guess is that the problem is related to it. But I;'m not sure how to proceed. Is my processor faulty? Is the motherboard the issue? Or something else?

Also attached is a HWInfo summary of my rig. I've update the bios of the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H) to the latest version.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Lowtone

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Lowtone,

We can try replacing the processor, is not normal that the PCH test fails but in case it does Intel® provides a three-year limited warranty on boxed processors which we will be happy to honor. To check the replacement options for your unit, please use one of the following options: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JWeer
Novice

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply and good to know there is warranty available. However the PCH ended up being a driver issue after all. I reinstalled all intel chipset drivers for the gigabyte motherboard and now the PCH check passes without any problems.

I've only just fixed this, so I need some time to see if my power failures are fixed now or if the problem is somewhere else altogether. I'll report back in a couple of days to see if my problem appears solved.

Regards,

Lowtone

idata
Employee

Lowtone, I am glad to hear that! It is not normal that the PCH test fails that is why we recommend to replace the unit, but sometimes a BIOS and chipset update help which happened in your case.

Thank you for sharing this with us, hope you can enjoy your Intel® processor.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JWeer
Novice

One week after the driver update and still no power issues. Fingers crossed, but it seems my problem is fixed.

0 Kudos
JWeer
Novice

And straight in line with Murphy's law my computer just shut down again... The search for the flaw goes on I guess.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Lowtone, I am really sorry to hear that!

Since you already replaced the power supply, maybe you could try to replace the processor. Find the contact information here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos