5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2017 6:36 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC6i7KYK driver zip files for TB, SD reader, IR receiver contain old drivers

drax392

Well, since the other thread talking about this issue (Intel DUU not updating drivers) went nowhere except in circles, let's see if a thread about the drivers themselves helps.

The punchline is this - The drivers available from downloadcenter.intel.com and via the DUU show a new driver version in the filename but the actual drivers within them are the old drivers.For example, the 16.2.55.275 Thunderbolt zip actually contains the current 16.2.55.1 drivers.

user@minipc:/mnt/c/Users/user/Downloads/NUC6i7KYB/TBT_Win7_8.1_10_64_16.2.55.275$ grep DriverVer *.inf

tbt70i.inf:DriverVer=11/10/2016,16.2.55.1

tbt70x.inf:DriverVer=11/10/2016,16.2.55.1

tbt81x.inf:DriverVer=11/10/2016,16.2.55.1

tp2p70i.inf:DriverVer=11/10/2016,16.2.55.1

tp2p70x.inf:DriverVer=11/10/2016,16.2.55.1

tp2p81x.inf:DriverVer=11/10/2016,16.2.55.1

Similarly, check out the SD reader drivers.  Supposed to be v3.4.00.11, but the zip contains 1.1.1.1008.

SDReader.png

This is why the DUU always says there are updates available even after installing the updates, whether it's through the DUU itself, the individual zips from Intel, or from the bundle also available from Intel.  The drivers are never being updated to the "new" version because there are old drivers in the zips.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver zip files for TB, SD reader, IR receiver contain old drivers
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, do not confuse package identifiers with driver identifiers; they are not always the same. For example, the Intel HD Graphics driver packages actually contain two drivers, one for HD Graphics and one for HD Audio, and the version numbers for these two drivers are *NOT* the same as that for the overall package.

Regardless of what's in the files (ICS will have to check what is going on there), you *SHOULD NOT* be using the Intel Driver Update Utility. It is badly broken, full of bugs, and simply cannot be trusted. Intel is working on a replacement for this utility. In the meantime, you should *only* be installing drivers by manually downloading their packages from the Intel Download Center and then invoking them (using embedded Setup.exe in the case of ZIP files).

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver zip files for TB, SD reader, IR receiver contain old drivers
            drax392

Yes, I'm aware of the concerns with DUU and as I mentioned the problem exists with the individual zips as well as the bundle, both of which were downloaded outside of DUU.

I went through and uninstalled the Thunderbolt, SD reader, and IR receiver devices and drivers, whatever was left behind was renamed, the NUC was completely disconnected from the internet and rebooted.  Windows didn't install any drivers upon reboot and I manually installed the individual drivers from the zips and bundle I downloaded.  I watched them install the old versions of the drivers as the installer was running.

Answer me this, do you have a NUC6i7KYK with the 16.2.55.275 Thunderbolt drivers or the 3.4.00.11 SD reader drivers?  Does anyone?  I'd be willing to bet the answer to that is no.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver zip files for TB, SD reader, IR receiver contain old drivers
              N.Scott.Pearson

No! You didn't read my response thoroughly. You are confusing package identifiers (versions) with driver identifiers (versions). They are *NOT* always the same!

If you open the Release Notes.txt file included in the TBT package, you will see that it indicates that 16.2.55.275 is the latest package release. This tells me that the posted package is ok.

If you open the Setup.ini file in the x64 subfolder included in the SD package, you will see that it indicates that the current version is 3.4.00.11. This tells me that the posted package is ok.

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver zip files for TB, SD reader, IR receiver contain old drivers
                drax392

No, I did read your response and I'm aware of what you're saying.  Yet, if you go to the Intel page for the TBT drivers, it says...

Purpose

Installs the Thunderbolt™ bus driver version 16.2.55.275 for the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK.

So there are lots of things pointing to that being the driver version that should be installed.  The DUU may just be adding to the confusion at this point, but other docs are referencing this being a driver version, not a package version.

Anyway, if the actual driver versions are correct then so be it, but Intel isn't doing a very good job of differentiating between package and driver versions.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver zip files for TB, SD reader, IR receiver contain old drivers
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I don't disagree. With the exception of the Intel HD Graphics package, which includes two different drivers (and thus the version for the overall package might need to be changed when only one of the two drivers is updated, I believe that the versioning should remain consistent between package and driver. I understand why it isn't, though I don't necessarily agree with their conclusion. Consider a situation where a single .INF file (or perhaps even a simple README.TXT file) within the package has to be changed. Do you go back and update all of the other files that include the version string and then rebuild the driver binaries and installer executable, all so everything is consistent? Those that want consistency say yes, but that's a lot of extra work and a lot of time - and time is money - and people are waiting - and...

Things get even more complicated when the Windows Update process is also put into in the picture. Consider again the Intel HD Graphics situation. For some reason, the Intel HD Graphics driver must appear on Windows Update site using the Intel HD Graphics driver version, not the overall package version. Considering that the Intel HD Audio driver is also in the picture, how do you keep this consistent? Do you use the same version for both of these drivers? Do you forget the overall packaging version and install the Intel HD Audio driver separately? What about dependencies? On the other hand, if you don't, how is a tool like IDUU supposed to handle this situation? Hhmmm...can you say "mess"?

...S