Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC3165 not seeing all wifi networks

BHill3
Beginner

I have an HP laptop. Model 15-ba026ca, Product id is W7C04UA# ABL.

It came with a Realtek RTL8188EE installed which worked fine but was 2.4 Ghz with no bluetooth and could see all the networks around it.

I checked the manual on the HP website and it listed the Intel AC3165 as being a compatible wifi card so I got one.

I uninstalled the Realtek device and its software, shutdown and then took the laptop apart to install the Intel AC3165. I connected to Ethernet and rebooted.

The laptop loaded drivers and connected to my home network and internet and I was able to connect my Bluetooth mouse.

The issue is that the Intel adapter is only displaying my network. Both 2.4 and 5 gig networks are displayed and I can connect to both but it isn't displaying the other networks in my area.

I ran the Intel update utility and it installed Proset version 19.6.0. The wifi driver is showing as version 19.51.0.4 dated 2013-30-28.

A weird thing I see happening is, if I connect to 5 gig it shows good signal but the 2.4 gig shows low. When I connect to 2.4 gig the opposite occurs.

After messing with it for a while I put the Realtek adapter back in and all the networks in my area were being displayed again.

I'd really like to use the Intel AC3165 so does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Connected to 5G

Connected to 2G

During troubleshooting, I had unchecked "Connect Automatically" for both networks, I walked away from the laptop for a bit, it went to sleep.

When I woke it up it didn't show any available networks and the signal was low on both networks. Wifi analyzer complained that there was no network adapter. I went to manage known networks and set it to connect automatically, it did. It showed a good connection icon in the taskbar but still didn't show any networks and I couldn't load webpages.

I gave up and reinstalled the Realtek adapter and it showed all the networks around me.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BHill3
Beginner

I forgot to mention, I'm using Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Version is 1703 build 15063.413

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello imaddicted2u,

We understand that your new Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is not seing some networks after you replaced the original adapter in the PC.

Please keep in mind that Intel does not support, nor recommends custom integration of wireless adapters since this may lead to installation errors, connection issues, software error messages, and in some cases it may even be illegal.

Intel does not recommend end users install or upgrade the various Intel® Wireless Adapter. We advise you to check with the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support or its authorized provider for instructions and have it replaced with them whenever possible.

For more information, please check the following advisories:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

In our best effort, here are some recommendations:

- Verify that both wireless antennas are properly plugged to the connectors of the AC 3165.

- Make sure you use the configuration mentioned in the following advisory: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity.

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

- Try using the latest driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support.

- Update the BIOS of your PC.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
BHill3
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, did all that. it's a recommended alternative to the original adapter and I used the instructions they provided, bios are the latest. Been an Electronic Technician since 1975, changing a WiFi adapter is not a complicated task and I did my homework with regard to hardware selection. I used both the HP provided driver and the Intel driver both acted the same way.

Being it's a 1X1 adapter the AC3165 has only 1 antenna so pretty hard to get that wrong and the same antenna works fine with the Realtek card.

I'm thinking the Intel adapter is faulty. it seems more of a radio problem, since it only sees the closest networks, rather than a compatibility issue but the cost to return it is more than the cost of the card. I guess I'll just keep on using the original working Realtek adapter.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

In this case, we advise you to check with the HP support about this since they are the best resource to help you integrate this wireless adapter into your PC.

Additionally, you might want to try disabling Bluetooth* (from Device Manager) as it may interfere with Wi-Fi.

Also, you can connect the antenna to the other connector of the AC 3165 and check if it helps.

If the issues persists at this point, then engaging HP would be required.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
BHill3
Beginner

It's HP support that suggested I contact Intel...

Getting rid of the Bluetooth dongle is the reason I bought the AC3165.

Connecting the antenna to connection # 2 is impossible (I tried) as the wire barely reaches # 1 and since the card is 1X1 (1 radio X 1 antenna) connection # 2 is not likely to be connected electrically anyway.

Other than having reduced radio range (only able to see the closest network) the AC3165 card works perfectly, has good throughput on both WiFi bands and Bluetooth works perfectly. I'd keep it in the laptop but I sometimes connect to weaker networks so seeing them is important.

I appreciate you trying to help, thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello imaddicted2u,

In this case, we advise you to work with HP Support to confirm how to successfully integrate a new adapter into your PC.

Keep in mind that the OEM normally customizes drivers and hardware for optimal compatibility in their systems, they are the best source to confirm if you have a supported configuration.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos