1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 8:14 PM by rguevara

A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK

Turisto

Hi,

Recently I upgraded my Sky Lake NUC to this Kaby Lake i5 NUC to be 4k ready since Sky Lake doesn't support HEVC in HW.

But surprisingly it's HDMI port works even worse than 6th gen NUC.

There are several problems:

1. It flickers quite often (turns black for sec and restores signal immediatelly). Sometimes it happens rarely, sometimes quite often. Very annoying.

2. HDMI doesn't work after device going to sleep. So I turns my TV on, Switch the NUC on, it shows SSD activity (by ring LED), but TV says there is no signal. Plugging / unplugging HDMI doesn't help. So only way to restore the video signal is hard reboot (4 secs pressing of power button).

3. 3D MVC Video Playback doesn't work at all. When I try to play the stereo iso file in PowerDVD - it switches resolution to 1080p and then switch it back to 4k and reports that the driver isn't compatible.

All this was worked on my NUC6.

Now the question, Why I upgraded to 7th gen NUC? It is much worse than Sky Lake. Sky Lake sometimes had Audio issues after sleep. But missing video is much much worse. Because I have to reboot the NUC using hard reset which is not recommended for Windows! And I have to do this several times per day.

My configuration is:

The NUC is connected to TV LG 65E6V through AV Receiver Marantz. Refresh rate is 60Hz, Resolution is 4k.

All FW's are official latest (including HDMI 1.66). Drivers are up to date according to intel drivers update utility (Except Thunderbolt one which is constantly fails to install).

HDMI cable is most expensive one. Actually I have about 20 of HDMI cables just because first thing which recommend in such cases - is to replace HDMI cable. But... this just never helps. All cables are the same.

Looks like this fake HDMI 2.0 port through internal chip adapter is still very buggy.

Did you ever test this with modern OLED 4k TV's before selling the stuff? I'm feeling that I'm beta tester here (half year problems with Sky Lake Audio issues, and now this HDMI 2.0 things)...

Any help will be appreciated!

• 1. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
          lw1948

Hello Turisto

I'm very sorry to read about the problems that you have with your new NUC. This is very new product and looks that the drivers are not fully debugged. I'm believe that in nearest future, Intel with cope with all problems. I've read in an other thread : Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK that there are still different problems. In the mean time Intel suggest to roll back the latest graphic driver to the previous version: https://communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadcenter.intel.com%2Fdownload%2F26772%2FIntel-G…

Leon

• 2. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
            WW6302

I have the same problems too.

See my topic:

4k60Hz HDMI2.0 vedio output BUGs  SUM on NUC 7I5BNK

https://communities.intel.com/thread/115382

• 3. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
              Nuc_User4k

I've got  similar problems in a more or less similar environment - NUC7i3BNK, LG 55EF9509 on HDMI out and Yamaha RX_V1071 on USB-C due to not being capable of 4k and HDCP 2.2.

I did all the updates suggested by the intel driver update utility plus the HDMI update.

1. 3D doesn't work.

2. If I enable HDMI ultra deep HD color (in my TV's config menu in order to be able to show HDR) the resolution is automatically set to 3840x2160@60FPS and the screen starts to flicker. If I set to 30FPS for instance manually afterwards, flickering is gone. I guess this is a driver issue because UHD resolution and 60 FPS works when playing videos (from Power DVD 17)

3. If my UHD LG TV is connected to the HDMI port and my Receiver (hdmi 1.4) to usb-c (in order to be able to have HD audio and UHD) neither the Cyberlink Advisor will pass the HDR test nor the HDR mode will be enable when playing a HDR video in PowerDVD 17. If I disconnect the Receiver both will work.

4. ARC won't work if HDR is enabled

5. Even if resolution is set to 1080p I get short flickering sometimes

as the original poster, I tried several premium high speed cables with the same results.

• 4. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Turisto,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I’m really sorry for the issue you all have experience with the Intel® NUC, in this case if you already updated to the graphics driver version 15.45.19.4678, I suggest you to down grade to the version 15.45.18.4664, I have confirm that there is flickering issue with the latest driver 4678 because I have tested it myself and this has been already reported.

I also recommend update the HDMI 2.0 Firmware, you can download it here:
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26609/HDMI-2-0-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN-NUC6CAY

Note: This Firmware update is only required if an HDMI 2.0 device is being used. An HDMI 2.0 device must be connected when you run this Firmware update.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 5. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                  WW6302

I have already down grade to 4664, and have no flicker now,  but other power saving problems still exist.

• 6. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                    Intel Corporation

Hello WW6302,

I’m glad that the flickering issue has been resolved with the previous driver; please allow me to further investigate on this issue.

Turisto did the previous graphics driver solved the flickering issue for you, and does the video issue after waking the system from sleep mode is the same? If so, would you please attach your system information, to get your system information you can use the Intel SSU (System Support Utility) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
                    Download Intel® System Support Utility

1. Download the utility
                    2. Run the exe and select ‘Scan’
                    3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan.
                    • 7. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                      Turisto

Hi,

I tried 2 graphics drivers: 4664 and 4678.

Both have the same issues with HDMI signal after sleep. As workaround I had to setup power button to Hibernate instead of Sleep. After Hibernation the signal is back.

So each time I switch TV+NUC I have to Hibernate NUC first and switch it on again.

Flickering is gone, but I guess this is because I manually setup refresh to 30Hz. With 60Hz refresh rate I had flickering on 4664.

3D MVC playback doesn't work on both drivers.

• 8. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                        Turisto

Also very annoying issue: when Windows 10 initialises graphics after Hibernation or Power On, it always switches my TV's input to HDMI1.

But the problem is HDMI1 not connected to anything. My receiver is connected to HDMI2 ARC TV input.

So as result after windows loaded I don't have any signal on TV and have to manually switch it to HDMI2.

This is something related to CEC, but Sky Lake NUC didn't have this issue.

• 9. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                          jeromechin

Mine flickers on 60hz too! is the problem being looked at by the tech team?

• 10. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                            Intel Corporation

Hello all,

Thank you all this information and for your patience on this matter, please be aware that we will be investigating this behavior and ones we have a solution it will be post it here.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 11. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                              WW6302

Hello Ivan

I have had may standby sleep problems in my NUC7i5BNK. Especially when there are USB mass storage devices plugged.

• 12. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                                Intel Corporation

Hello all,

Thank you for the information WW6302, if you don’t have USB storage devices plugged is the system able to wake up without problem?

Would you all please provide me with the RAM part number that you are using on your Intel® NUCs?

Also, most of you are having this issue when connect to a receiver; if you connect the unit straight to the TV do you get the same problem?

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 13. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                                  Nuc_User4k

Thanks for your help in this matter. My NUC is attached directly to the TV and I do have all the problems mentioned above.

Here's the info you requested:

Attributes  BankLabel  Capacity    Caption                  ConfiguredClockSpeed  ConfiguredVoltage  CreationClassName     DataWidth  Description              DeviceLocator   FormFactor  HotSwappable  InstallDate  InterleaveDataDepth  InterleavePosition  Manufacturer  MaxVoltage  MemoryType  MinVoltage  Model  Name                     OtherIdentifyingInfo  PartNumber           PositionInRow  PoweredOn  Removable  Replaceable  SerialNumber  SKU  SMBIOSMemoryType  Speed  Status  Tag                TotalWidth  TypeDetail  Version 

1           BANK 0     4294967296  Physikalischer Speicher  2133                  1200               Win32_PhysicalMemory  64         Physikalischer Speicher  ChannelA-DIMM0  12                                     1                    1                   859B          1200        0           1200               Physikalischer Speicher                        CT4G4SFS8213.C8FBR2                                                    E0567635           26                2133           Physical Memory 0  64          16512               

1           BANK 2     4294967296  Physikalischer Speicher  2133                  1200               Win32_PhysicalMemory  64         Physikalischer Speicher  ChannelB-DIMM0  12                                     1                    2                   859B          1200        0           1200               Physikalischer Speicher                        CT4G4SFS824A.C8FBD2                                                    1501AA7C           26                2400           Physical Memory 1  64          16512               

Thanks

• 14. Re: A lot of HDMI 2.0 problems on my new NUC7I5BNK
                                    WW6302

Hello Ivan

Since I am waiting for my support case 02861457 being updated, and I have too much works to do with NUC, so I have set my NUC to NEVER standby and NEVER sleep.  Without standby or sleep, my NUC is working normally.  I will test what I posted as soon as my support case completed.

Regards

William Wang

1 2 3 Previous Next