4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 9:27 AM by rguevara

NUC6I5SYH - eSATA support out of box?

KenO

I'm trying to verify that the NUC6I5SYH SATA interface supports eSATA. In other words, can I adapt the available onboard SATA connector to eSATA and attach 2 meter cable? Does interface support higher voltage levels required for eSATA robustness? Thank you! Ken

• 1. Re: NUC6I5SYH - eSATA support out of box?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

According to the information on the TPS (Technical Product Specification) of the NUC, it does not provide eSATA support. Jut to let you know, this type of configuration has not been tested by Intel, so unfortunately we will not be able to assure if in fact works. However, you can always try to test it in order to confirm if it works properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec.pdf

I also encourage all the peers viewing this forum that if they have suggestions or details on this matter, to post all the information on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC6I5SYH - eSATA support out of box?
            KenO

Hi Alberto, I don't think I explained my question well. Let me dive deeper, this is pretty geeky stuff.

What I'm really interested in finding out is whether your chipset supports the higher transmission voltage levels required by the eSATA specification. With a external 2-meter cable, in order to account for any additional losses over the cable, the minimum voltage transmitted is raised from 400 to 500mV and the minimum receiver sensitivity is further decreased to 240mV. I believe most modern SATA3 chipsets support these higher levels. For example, when I add an eSATA port to my desktop machine, I attached a bracket to an open slot on the back of the case to make the transition from internal SATA to external SATA. I attach to one of the available SATA ports on the motherboard. There is no "eSATA" port, just SATA. The bracket provides grounding and coverts to standard eSATA cable.

Everything I've been able to find seems to support eSATA begin supported. Here's a link to 6th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Mobile Product Brief: https://en.wikichip.org/w/images/9/94/6th_Gen_Intel%C2%AE_Core%E2%84%A2_Processors-_Y-series%2C_U-series%2C_and_H-series_Product_Brief.pdf. Page 9 specifically mentions eSATA support, "SATA interface designed for use with external SATA devices. Provides a link for 3 Gb/s data speeds to eliminate bottlenecks found with current external storage solutions."

So, our desired configuration works fine in laboratory testing, as best we can tell. It would be nice to have some backup information from Intel stating that this port undoubtedly has the higher eSATA voltage levels available.

Any additional information from you or the user community would be greatly appreciated!!

Best,

KenO

• 3. Re: NUC6I5SYH - eSATA support out of box?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for clarifying that information.

In this case I will do further research in order to try to gather the information you requested. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: NUC6I5SYH - eSATA support out of box?
                rguevara

KenO:

I work for Intel Customer Support and I believe I understand your question but I am afraid I may not be able to provide you with level of information you are looking for as this is not clear on the internal documentation I have access to.

The SATA port is defined as that and I have no visibility on the voltages transmitted by the chipset and being this a request outside the product original design we can only advice that this may be possible but not recommended by Intel.

SATA and eSATA does not change much at all, as they are still basically identical to each other. eSATA raised the transmit voltage, while lowering the threshold for receiving the signal. This is done to accommodate for the longer cable specification that is being used.

Connectors of course are different and not compatible with each other, this you already know but this was probably done this way to avoid problems that may occur due different electrical characteristics.

Regards,

Ronny G