5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 7:41 AM by duffo64

Curie based wearable

duffo64

Hi All,

i'd would like to know if someone has an arduino code snippet to measure battery voltage using the internal ADC.

Thanks in advance

Claudio

• 1. Re: Curie based wearable
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Claudio,

Thanks for reaching out.

I have looked in our community for some Arduino code snippet that some user has shared to perform what you need, however, I was not able to find any.

So, I was looking for information that you may find useful and I’d like to share this Arduino library to monitor battery consumption: https://github.com/rlogiacco/BatterySense and this other site: Measuring DC Voltage using Arduino that shares an Arduino sketch for that purpose.

Moreover, regarding the Arduino code I’d recommend you to contact Arduino support or take a look at their forum: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=103.0 since there you can find more accurate information about your query.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.

• 2. Re: Curie based wearable
            duffo64

Hi Yermi,

and thanks for responding. But looking at the schematic I see (if I am not mistaken):

- Curie module has an integrated battery gauge, but the SW_FG_VBATT (Intel Curie module P21) pin is not brought out on the the 101 board (and I cannot find software examples about it)

- The AREF pin on J11 is going to an AREF pin on Curie that I cannot identify on the datasheet (?)

Hope to be wrong, so if you could shed some light on this matter....or should I look for an external battery gauge IC to monitor battery status ?

Bye,

Claudio

• 3. Re: Curie based wearable
              Intel Corporation

Hi Claudio,

I would like to investigate a little bit more regarding your inquiry, and as soon as I have useful information I’ll let you know.

Thanks for your patience during the meantime.

Regards,
              -Yermi A.

• 4. Re: Curie based wearable
                Intel Corporation

Hi Claudio,

Thanks for your patience.

The Intel Curie module has a buit-in battery charger, which is optional to use. In the Intel® Curie™ Module Design Guide, “Battery Charging and Management” section you can find more information and example circuits to use this feature.

Using the battery charger feature is up to the manufacturer of the board to decide whether or not they implement that in their design. The Arduino 101 board does not come up with this feature because the standard Arduino I/O pin layout does not have the provision for battery charger. External hardware would be needed. I also found this discussion on the Arduino forum regarding the battery charger: Arduino 101 Battery charger.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
                -Yermi A.  

• 5. Re: Curie based wearable
                  duffo64

Thanks Yermi. In the end I already realized that using an external component is the less traumatic way to perform tests quickly.