1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2017 11:12 PM by raymondjpg

NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly

raymondjpg

NUC7i5BNH with latest bios 0046 running Windows 10 Professional fully patched with Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver device in either of the front USB ports. Consumer IR Device enabled in the bios, also wake on IR checked for both S3 and S4/S5 states in the bios:

1. Power toggle button on Harmony 200 remote puts NUC to sleep.

2. Hitting power toggle button again repeatedly shortly after putting the NUC to sleep wakes the NUC again.

3. Waiting any length of time after putting the NUC to sleep then pressing the power toggle button repeatedly fails to wake the NUC again.

Mouse or keyboard can always wake the NUC from sleep after any length of time.

The same USB eHome Infrared Transceiver device  and harmony 200 combination is used successfully to sleep and wake both a NUC D54250WYK and NUC NUC6I5SYH.

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

Since the latest BIOS is already installed on the NUC, in order to try to fix this problem what we can try to re-install the chipset, management engine and IR drivers:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26801/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN?product=95067
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26482/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN?product=95067
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26479/ITE-Tech-Consumer-Infrared-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN?product=95067

Please let me now the results of trying the steps above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
            raymondjpg

Thank you for the response.

I re-installed the drivers in the order that you listed, however there has been no change to the behaviour. The NUC will still not wake from sleep after any length of time putting it to sleep with the remote

Regards.

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
              Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

At this point we will do further research on this subject. As soon as I get a possible resolution for this problem I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                Intel Corporation

You are welcome. I just received an update on the research we are doing, could you please remove the driver from the USB IR receiver and try our build-in driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26479/NUCs-ITE-Tech-Consumer-Infrared-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN?product=95067

And then, please verify that you see the driver installed on device manager:

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 6. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                  raymondjpg

Thank you for the response.

The driver that you are asking me to install is the same driver third in the list that you asked me to install in the second post in this thread.

This time I tried uninstalling the ITE package both from "uninstall or change a program" in control panel and the ITECIR driver in device manager. I also uninstalled the two instances of "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" that always appear in device manager when scanning for hardware changes. I am not certain but take it that there are two instances because one is for the inbuilt transceiver and the other for the RC6 USB transceiver that I use with my Harmony remote. On reinstalling the ITE package I am then presented with the "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)" and the two instances of "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" as before in device manager.

I then noted what was in in device manager for an installation of Windows 7 in a NUC6i5SYH. The exact same combination of USB Consumer IR transceiver and Harmony remote as in the NUC7i5BNH successfully wake the NUC6i5SYH from sleep every time without fail. However in the case of the NUC6i5SYH I see "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2)" and two instances of "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in device manager.

I tried installing the driver "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2)" in the NUC7i5BNH using the "Have Disk" option, and ended up with an entry "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2)" along with an entry "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)" and the two instances of "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in device manager. I then tried uninstalling the entry "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)" along with the driver, but on rebooting the entry "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)" had reappeared. The NUC7i5BNH then started misbehaving, wouldn't boot properly to Windows and eventually fell back to Advanced Startup Options where I was able to reinstall a working backup image of Windows 10,

Thus I am back where I started with with the "ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)" and the two instances of "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" as before in device manager. Might this mean that the issue of not being able to wake from sleep in the NUC7i5BNH is related more to inadequacies with the bios than the ITE drivers?

Regards

• 7. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                    Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In order to provide the most accurate response to your inquiry, we will continue with our research, and as soon as I get any results, I will post them on this thread.

Regards,
                    Alberto R

• 8. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                      raymondjpg

If the Consumer IR is disabled under devices in the bios then the ITECIR driver does not appear in device manager, and there is only one instance of "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in device manager.

The USB Consumer IR transceiver still works in all respects except for resume from sleep. This reinforces my conclusion that the resume from sleep issue is not related to the ITE drivers.

Regards

• 9. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                        dougho

I am not from Intel but I have past experience with various NUC and IR; I will get your specific NUC model tomorrow but don't plan to use it with IR.

I am curious why you seem to be complicating things by installing an additional USB IR transceiver device into USB, rather than just using the one built-in to the NUC.  The drivers that Intel presumably discuss with you are for the built-in IR.  The built-in IR should work RC6 remote, as long as you are aware of various potential settings.  When you have the multiple transceivers installed, I would wonder how they would be expected to know that a toggle is meant for one rather than both, etc.

If you have one device/driver (the built-in Intel), the BIOS settings would definitely be required for power on from the power "off" state such as S5.  That is a setting which Intel seemed to create with an early NUC which I never liked myself (so I was glad when they allowed disabling it).  Settings for waking from sleep such as S3 might appear in BIOS but be sure to also consider any settings about that in the device driver (such as Properties-Power-allow this device to wake), because device driver is normally what seems likely to control that.

I don't think this applies to you but If the IR isn't working at all in Windows (but you have the driver installed), then you may need to investigate a registry setting depending on what ID the remote control is set to - this situation was common with some Xbox remote in past messages here.  And again I don't think this applies to you but if you get unexpected power changes in a NUC, that was sometimes happening from use of unrelated IR remote in same room such as certain TV models or maybe even the pause button of MS remotes.

The main point of my message was all of that background in case it helps troubleshooting.  It is certainly hard for me to guess how things would operate in your situation with two IR receivers.  But perhaps your particular situation is that you are depending on your USB IR receiver (rather than the built-in), and the USB ports are in some setting which is disabling their power during sleep, and therefore there is no way for your external USB IR receiver to be seeing the attempted resume request.  You and Intel engineers may not have reached that conclusion because of mistaken assumptions about internal vs external IR receivers.

• 10. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                          raymondjpg

Thanks for your interest.

1. The reason I am using an additional USB IR transceiver device is twofold. The first is that the NUC is in an Akasa fanless case and access to the the inbuilt IE transceiver is restricted by the case; and the second is that the NUC sits behind the top of a TV so that a USB IR transceiver device which sits out from the case is better situated to receive IR signals reflected off the ceiling.

2. I have now disabled the inbuilt IR device in the bios. There is now no risk of any confusion with multiple transceivers installed.

3. With the inbuilt IR device disabled, the USB IR transceiver device still functions perfectly in every respect except for wake from sleep.

4. Before I disabled the inbuilt IR device, the USB IR transceiver device was also functioning perfectly in every way except for wake from sleep.

5. In a Skylake NUC with both inbuilt and USB IR transceiver devices installed, there is no confusion between devices, and the USB IR transceiver device also functions perfectly in every way including wake from sleep.

6. I had speculated that the USB IR transceiver device might be suffering from USB ports having powered down during sleep, but in another thread on this forum. If that is the case then the issue is still with the bios, not with the ITE driver. I agree that Intel might not have come to this conclusion yet. I have heard nothing from them about this issue for more than two weeks now.

• 11. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                            dougho

Thanks for the clarification.  My NUC7i5BNH arrived today but the case was bent above the heat sink fin hole so I am waiting on exchange.  Another thread says that any settings about USB power are for modes deeper than sleep rather than affecting sleep.  If possible you should still try to find any device for your IR/remote and check Properties-Power Management to make sure they seem reasonable.  By reasonable I mean that if there is an actual device it should be allowed to wake the computer, and the interface should probably not be allowed to be turned off to save power.  If you have an optical mouse (not mechanical) maybe try plugging it into that USB port and see if moving the mouse wakes from sleep.  On some of my PC that doesn't work (because the mouse does not have enough power) but clicking the button on the mouse works (because it does not require such power).  If moving USB optical mouse does not wake from sleep, I doubt the external IR could wake from sleep (until proper setting is found to supply power to USB during sleep and/or for USB devices to allow wake from sleep).

BIOS USB settings may affect various devices.  BIOS IR settings and ITE driver presumably affect only the built-in ITE device, and when those are specifically mentioned in the conversation I would suggest responding with clarification that you gave (using external USB IR because of blockage to internal IR sensor).

• 12. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                              raymondjpg

Thanks again.

1. Power settings for the USB infrared transceiver are set to allow this device to wake the computer.

2. Power settings for the HID entry for Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver are unchecked for turn off device to save power.

3. Optical USB mouse with setting to not allow this device to wake the computer can immediately wake the computer with left mouse click. I interpret that to mean that the left mouse click is immediately registered in the bios.

4. Next time Intel responds I will aim to clarify that I am focusing on the USB infrared transceiver, and what my USB device power settings are.

Regards

• 13. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                                dougho

Raymond said: Optical USB mouse with setting to not allow this device to wake the computer can immediately wake the computer with left mouse click. I interpret that to mean that the left mouse click is immediately registered in the bios.

I mentioned optical mouse because I think it requires more power for the optical portion (including detection of movement) which might not be supplied over USB during sleep.  I mentioned mouse click as something which doesn't need as much power.  My point was that although mouse click might always wake from sleep (regardless of power over USB), it would be interesting to find out if optical mouse movement on that same USB port wakes computer from sleep (or not).  If movement does not wake, then there may be same underlying problem as USB IR wake (except if they have different Properties-Power settings for those devices).  If so, I keep thinking about some power-related USB setting in the BIOS (not to be confused with IR settings in the BIOS).  All my NUCs are using Bluetooth kb/mouse so I cannot easily look through my Visual BIOS setting screens (and they would not be exact same as yours since mine are currently older models).  Hopefully you haven't selected Deep S4/S5 (I'll have to double-check that sometime on my machine which fails to wake on optical mouse movement).

• 14. Re: NUC7i5BNH Resume from S3 not working properly
                                  raymondjpg

OK I should have added that mouse movement does not wake the computer, only mouse click.

I have selected CIR wake from S4/S5 as well as from S3, and I am sure that I have tried disabling wake from S4/S5 with the same result - CIR will not wake PC from S3.

1 2 Previous Next