5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 9:08 AM by Intel Corporation

can't downgrade to old BIOS versions

haboob

I'm having issues installing windows 7 onto my NUC6I3SYK. In the thread with other people with the same problem, some people suggested running 0024 or 0028 of BIOS. Whenever I try to manually update from USB I get "This version is uncompatable" or something to that extent. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: can't downgrade to old BIOS versions
          TX

If the current BIOS version that you are running has a newer ME firmware than the one you are trying to downgrade to the firmware flash is not supported. Both of those versions you list are very early builds. Why would you want to go back that far?

from the documents:

Downgrading the BIOS to an earlier version is not recommended and might not be supported. An

earlier BIOS version might not offer support for the latest processors, bug fixes, critical

security updates, or support the latest board revisions currently being manufactured. If you are

trying to downgrade to a previous BIOS version and its Intel® ME Firmware version is older than

that currently on the

motherboard, then the downgrade is NOT supported.

• 2. Re: can't downgrade to old BIOS versions
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello haboob,

Please use these steps in order to install Windows 7 on your Intel® NUC Kit: Install Windows 7* on Computers with USB 3.0 

TX, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 3. Re: can't downgrade to old BIOS versions
              lw1948

Hello haboob

You shall not downgrade your bios and specially not the very old version. For your information before bios version 0042 was released it was very common that NUC caused Windows crash (blue screen BSOD failure). After this failure happens only replacing NUC was fixing this problem. This was fixed only form bios 0042 ( Improved electrical over-stress protection in the voltage regulator circuitry).

In order to install Windows 7 on your NUC, you shall add USB3 driver to yours Windows 7 installation media. Use the Intel tool and instructions from Amy's post above.

Think also to install Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 and the installation shall go smoothly.

Leon

• 4. Re: can't downgrade to old BIOS versions
                N.Scott.Pearson

Adding to Leon's response, whomever was telling you that you needed to downgrade your BIOS didn't know what they were talking about and are leading you astray. You do not need to do this. I am regularly installing (and reinstalling) Windows 7 onto older (4th, 5th and 6th gen) NUCs and I always, always do so with the most recent BIOS installed. Really, the only trick necessary is to get the WIM files fully updated with the USB 3.0 drivers.

...S

P.S. I would love to provide you with my installation image, but I don't have any place that I can upload a close to 4GB ISO file.

• 5. Re: can't downgrade to old BIOS versions
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

haboob, hope you were able to follow one of the suggestions mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy C.