Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

i7 7700 Oc,its safe?

odori
Beginner

Hello all!

I recentley build my new pc based on a I7 7700 & ASUS z270f MB.

My problem is that when i activate the XMP profile so that i can run my ddr4 at 3000 mhz,the advertised speed,that also OC my Cpu,its a mild Oc,but still.The turbo jumps form 4200 to 4296.Is this safe for a non-k CPU??

Main specs

Asus z270f

i7 7700 (non k)

Corsair 16 gb 3000mhz

Gtx 1070 Asus strix

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TGrab1
New Contributor III

First you have to understand that Intel will never come out and say it is OK or SAFE to overclock a cpu. None of the CPU manufacturers will and it has to do with legal ramifications if they do.

That being said your processor is not a K designated one and as such does not have all the overclock capabilities as one. Also note that your processor boosts to only 4.2k instead of the 4.5k ghz of the 7700K. So that being said as long as your temps are within reason you should have no issues with the meager 96mhz overclock.

So I wouldn't stress using XMP. It isn't going to kill your chip and I highly doubt there would be any long term side effects. I have chips that have been running 30% or more overclocks for YEARS now with no negative effects. That being said you don't even have the capabilities to overclock your chip much anyways.

YOU ARE FINE.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Bubu33,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please bear in mind that overclocking is not safe in any way, this processor was built to work at 2133/2400 at 135.V, altering the processor frequency and voltage can cause this processor to fail sooner or later, if you want to overclock it will be under your own responsibility and it is hard to tell what is safe and what is not safe because Intel did not test the processors above the processor specifications.

Since Intel does not support overclocking I suggest you to try to get some recommendation at the following link:

http://www.overclock.net/ http://www.overclock.net/

Best regards,

Ivan U.

odori
Beginner

Thank you!

I wonder why Asus dosent block the auto OC on a non K Cpu.Its not fair...

All the best!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bubu33,

That's a good point and that will be a good question for ASUS, I'm sorry if my answer was not what you expected to here but Intel only provide support under the processor specifications.

Please let me know if you need anything else related to this matter and I will be more than glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

First you have to understand that Intel will never come out and say it is OK or SAFE to overclock a cpu. None of the CPU manufacturers will and it has to do with legal ramifications if they do.

That being said your processor is not a K designated one and as such does not have all the overclock capabilities as one. Also note that your processor boosts to only 4.2k instead of the 4.5k ghz of the 7700K. So that being said as long as your temps are within reason you should have no issues with the meager 96mhz overclock.

So I wouldn't stress using XMP. It isn't going to kill your chip and I highly doubt there would be any long term side effects. I have chips that have been running 30% or more overclocks for YEARS now with no negative effects. That being said you don't even have the capabilities to overclock your chip much anyways.

YOU ARE FINE.

odori
Beginner

Thats a verry intersting point of view!

I will consider what you said!Thank you verry much for taking your time and explain to me,sir!

0 Kudos