1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 8:27 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)

cabdouch

Howdy, I have a strange problem with my NUC7i7BNH

I have a new NUC7i7BNH with 16GB memory, a 16GB Optane, 2TB HDD, and the latest 1703 build of Windows 10 Home (15063.296)

Only installing World of Tanks and C3 (a Comm program) I occasionally got freezes when exiting a battle to go back to the garage to pick another tank. It would freeze anywhere from hitting the "Exit to Garage" choice and still seeing the battle, to where I could see the garage, but there was still a message about loading Store or other messages that scroll through before you're actually able to select things in the Garage.

This happened at least once per day over 2-4 hours of playing the game

I set my BIOS settings on Cooling to "Cool" and also to Custom and turned the fan all the way up, and trigger heat point down, so that the fan would run as much as possible, although the problem didn't seem heat related.

Eventually, I turned off the Optane module and continued testing. The game continued to lock up occasionally, always when leaving the battlefield to go back to the garage, whether early due to being dead, or at the end of the match.

After a week of this, I replaced the NUC7i7BNH with a brand new unit with brand new DIMMs, only moving the Optane and HDD from the old system.

The new system does a "Shutting Down" instead of freezing, but again, when leaving the battlefield and going back to the garage.

The new NUC never freezes, it always closes the game and does a Shut Down. The Error log just says that the system was shut down unexpectantly.

My technician returned today and suggested I update my graphics drivers.

We made sure that it has the latest BIOS v46 as well as the latest Chipset, RST, GbE, Graphics, and other drivers.

The NUC7i7BNH has all the latest drivers on a fresh install of Windows and cannot run this game reliably without shutting down or freezing, but only when leaving the battle to go back to the garage.

The temperatures never get too high, the processor is not throttling, running cool air on it doesn't help.

I would assume something code wise is happening when the game ends and it is exiting to the garage. Perhaps closing extra threads, since this is a multi-thread game, as it only happens at this point.

Running the system hard does not cause issues other than this game.

Also, this game ran fine on the NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon and does not have this problem, although I may test it again.

We are planning on installing a normal SSD and installing Windows 10 Pro, then going with an old version of Windows 10, and if the lock up/shutdowns continue, then going back to the Skull Canyon with all the latest stuff to see if the game has a problem with NUCs now (there are monthly updates to the program) or just the Baby Canyon

Regards,

Chuck

• 1. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
          cabdouch

The new system shuts down much more frequently than the old system froze. My tech went into the BIOS and disabled Turbo Boost(?).and it ran for over an hour.

I will continue testing with Boost turned off to see if the Shut Down stops. If so, then I will go back to the previous system and see if the freezes stop with Boost turned off.

If it continues Shutting Down, then we will discuss the next step to isolate this problem.

Chuck

• 2. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello cabdouch,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I’m sorry for the issue you have experienced while playing this game on the Intel® NUC.

I understand that you have the latest BIOS 0046, I have very clear what graphics driver version you have right now installed, there is a new version recently released that you can try, you can download it here:
            Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]  

What resolution are you using? I strongly recommend using the resolution on your monitor/TV and on the game.

Also, check at the following link the recommended settings on the game to work with this Intel® graphics on the NUC.
            https://gameplay.intel.com/GamesSettings/8600/97541/Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i7-7567U%20Processor%20(4M%20Cache,%20up%20to%204.00%20GHz)
            You can download the screenshots if you prefer.

If the problem persists, please fill out the information at the following link so we can start an investigation.
            https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 3. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
              cabdouch

Howdy Ivan,

We have the latest Graphics drivers as well as Chipset and other drivers.

We also have the latest BIOS.

I am running the game in "Windowed" mode on a 1080p monitor.

My technician disabled "Boost" mode to see if that makes a difference. So far the game has not had the Shut Down problem and we have not changed any of the Game Graphics or any other settings.

If it does, then I will try the Game Settings you suggested to see if that helps. I do not believe this to be a game setting though, unless there is a setting that changes how the graphics driver is accessed, like triple buffering as the problem only occurs leaving the game and transitioning to the garage.

Our goal is not in trying to get the game running with the NUC, but understanding what the problem is in case this is exposing a greater problem.

Our tech is suspecting that when the game ends, and it is transitioning back to the garage, that the game is going from multi-threaded back to single threaded and that the processor may be trying to "Boost" while it is still hotter than normal, or that threads are still running.

For this reason, he disabled Boost to see if this solves the problem or reduces the frequency.

Chuck

• 4. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                Intel Corporation

Hello cabdouch,

Thank you for the information, I please let me know how it goes after disabling “Boost”.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 5. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                  cabdouch

The new unit was shutting down more often than the old one was freezing. When we turned off "Turbo Boost" in the BIOS, it ran for an hour or two without freezing, so we will continue testing with Boost turned off.

--------------

It has been 2 days now and no freezes or Shut Downs just by disabling Boost in the BIOS. This might be revealing some greater issue.

This is without making any changes to Graphics settings in the game itself, which may have fixed issues others are having, but not this problem.

We will continue testing and I will update you on Monday.

At some point, I will turn Boost back on in the BIOS and see if the problem returns, and if it does, try the Graphics settings for the game itself to see if that also fixes it.

Have a great weekend.

Chuck

• 6. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                    Intel Corporation

Hello cabdouch,

Thank you for the information and I will appreciate if you keep us update about your findings.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

• 7. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                      cabdouch

Howdy Ivan,

Disabling Boost certainly is one way to solve the problem. I was able to run for over a week without a single Shut Down or Freeze.

This is a viable solution as I don't really think Boost adds much.

I will be re-enabling Boost and be changing Graphics settings now just to see if this also solves the problem

Chuck

• 8. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                        Intel Corporation

Hello cabdouch,

Thank you for your understanding on this matter and for your patience on this issue. Please let me know how it goes after you re-enable Boost.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 9. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                          cabdouch

The game has been running without problems for awhile now, so I turned Boost back on and immediately started getting freezes again.

Worse than before, freezes going into battle, coming out, and launching game much more often.

I have now made all the graphics setting changes, but I suspect they won't help at all.

Continuing testing.

Chuck

• 10. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                            Intel Corporation

This Boost that you turn off the Intel® Turbo Boost technology that you can disable in the BIOS or it is a feature in the game itself?

If turn it back off again is the issue fixed?

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 11. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                              cabdouch

This is the Intel Turbo Boost Technology feature that can be disabled in the BIOS under Performance.

Here is a recap:

Platform is an NUC7i7BNH with a 16GB of memory, 16GB Optane memory module, 1TB HDD, and Windows 10 Home

With all BIOS Defaults (Boost on) and a clean install of Windows 10 Home, World of Tanks was installed (High-Definition Client) with maximum graphics settings.

On one NUC7i7BNH, the game would freeze leaving a battle and going back to the garage about 1 in 20-30 battles (once per day)

After 1 week, I disabled the Optane module.

No change to game freezing leaving a battle and returning to the garage, at least once and sometimes twice, a day.

Replaced the NUC7i7BNH with another unit, moving the Memory, Optane, and HDD, so the only change was the NUC itself.

The new NUC would do a quick "Shut Down" occasionally leaving the battle and returning to the garage. It never froze, it just did a Shut Down. On the next boot, there was no information about why it shut down. This was with the Optane enabled as we felt that Optane has no bearing on the problem

After a week, we disabled "Boost" in the BIOS under Advanced -> Performance -> Intel Turbo Boost Technology -> Unchecked

We ran the system for 2 weeks without issue, no other changes were made. The system never failed, never froze, never shut down, no problems at all.

I re-enabled Boost in the BIOS and rebooted.

Immediately the game began freezing at more than just the exiting from the battle back to the garage, but also in launching the game, and launching a battle

I made the graphics changes to the game suggested earlier in this thread, leaving Turbo Boost turned on.

The game has been running for 2 days without issue, so it is possible that the graphics setting changes will also fix this issue.

Continuing testing for a few more days, then we will see if we can determine which graphics setting is required to prevent problems.

Thank you,

Chuck

• 12. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                                Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information, basically the settings on the game are the settings used or tested with this Intel® graphics and are the settings Intel validated, if you don’t have any problems with those settings I suggest you to keep it with those settings.

Hopefully in the future we will release more graphics driver that will fix more issue related to games.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 13. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                                  cabdouch

Howdy, After extensive testing, the graphics changes improve the behavior significantly, but don't resolve it. The last two days in particular, the graphic setting changes had no improvement in multiple crashes, lock-ups, and "weird behavior" and lost data within 10 minutes of playing the game. I could not play for more than 5-10 minutes without some problem requiring a restart of the game, usually between each round.

I disabled "Boost" in the BIOS and immediately all weird behavior went away and I was able to play the game for 2-3 hours without a problem. Halfway through this time, I also increased Graphics settings back to maximum

The following article was brought to my attention today which I believe explains this weird behavior

Intel's Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs have nasty hyper-threading bug • The Register

As a result, I have changed settings for my next round of testing.

Turned Turbo Boost back on

Turned off Hyper-Threading as suggested in the article

Turned Graphics Settings in the game back to Maximum

It is my expectation that disabling Hyper-Threading will resolve this problem.

If this resolves the problem, then the question will be, "When will a BIOS update be released with a Microcode update?"

Thank you,

Chuck

• 14. Re: NUC7i7BNH Freezes/Shuts Down Exiting Game to Garage (World Of Tanks)
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello cabdouch,

Does this issue also happen when you have the settings on the game as it is recommended by Intel on this graphics version, also remember to have the same resolution on the game that is on the display?

Regards,

Ivan U.

1 2 Previous Next