2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 10:22 AM by Intel Corporation

Configuring Static IP for Edition Access Point

arunkumark

Hi,

I am trying to configure static IP for edition Access point. But I am not able to figure out how to do it. I found /etc/network/interfaces file is not there in edition. People suggested to try connmanctl. I tried "connmanctl config --ipv4 ipaddr mask gateway" But it returned Error 'config': Invalid argument. Kindly suggest some way to do this.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Configuring Static IP for Edition Access Point
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello arunkumark,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

My recommendation for you is to check the following document, especially sections 4.2 and 7.2:
          •    Intel® Edison – Wi-Fi

Also there is a community thread where community member maathor receives assistance to change his IP address: https://communities.intel.com/message/465664#465664

Additionally, I found a guide that shows certain steps that you may find useful, it presents the process from the connection to the network to the corresponding setting of the static IP address:

Connecting to the network
          We are going to use connman to configure the Wi-Fi connection. Run the following commands to start the connman service and to enable it:

systemctl start connman
          systemctl enable connman
          connmanctl

We have entered in the connman interactive mode. Run the following commands to enable Wi-Fi and to scan the available networks:

enable wifi
          scan wifi

When the message Scan completed for wifi appears, run the following command to display the networks scanned:

services

The networks available will be displayed in the following format: <network_name> <service_name>. The service name is a long string that you will need to connect to the desired network. Select and connect to the desired network by running the following commands:

agent on
          connect <service_name>

Then enter the network password when the command prompt asks for it. At this point you should be connected to the network selected. Exit the connman interactive mode by running the following command:

exit

Gathering network information
          We are going to need the gateway, netmask and broadcast information to set the static IP address. With the following commands we will get the necessary information:
          For gateway information: netstat –nr
          For netmask and broadcast information: ifconfig wlan0

Setting the static IP address
          With the netmask and gateway information, run the following command to set the static IP address:

connmanctl config <service_name> --ipv4 manual <ip_address> <netmask> <gateway>

Now the Edison should have the static IP address set.

Maintaining the static IP address after reboot
          At this point the static IP address is set, but it will be erased after reboot. In order to maintain it after reboot, the interfaces file must be created and configured. To create the interfaces file, the directory /etc/network must be created first. The following command creates this directory:

mkdir /etc/network

Then, create and edit the /etc/network/interfaces file by running the following commands:

echo auto wlan0 >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo iface wlan0 inet static >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo address <ip address> >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo netmask <netmask> >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo broadcast <bcast> >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo gateway <gateway> >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo dns-nameservers 192.0.2.2 >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo wpa-ssid <network name> >> /etc/network/interfaces
          echo wpa-psk <network password> >> /etc/network/interfaces

If the process is done properly, Edison should maintain the static IP address set even after reboot.

Please let me know if you find this information useful.

If you have any update or question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Andres V.
          • 2. Re: Configuring Static IP for Edition Access Point
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello arunkumark,

I was wondering if you could check the information provided.

If you have any update or question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
            Andres V.