6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 8:58 AM by Kanna_NTN

Joule ref-os-iot : How do I build and Flash the Kernel Image Independently?

Kanna_NTN

Hi all,

I successfully compiled and flashed the ref-os-iot yocto build for Intel Joule.

However, I have certain logics unexplained. I will explain what i attempted to figure out.

1. How to generate a UEFI configuration file (/boot/EFI/bootx64.efi) file from the Kernel Image (bzImage) generated?
        • I notice that a run.do_uefiapp yocto script embeds Kernel Image and other files using objcopy.
        • But, I cannot find those files (machine.txt, cmdline, etc.) in the Yocto build.
        • Also, any references which explains UEFI booting process would be welcome
      2. How WIC generates Bootable Images from the Generated Rootfs?
        • I read some articles on how WIC uses the kickstart file (refosiot.wks) to generate the final image full-image-intel-5xx-64.wic.xz.
        • Exactly which options are to be used with wic to generate the Image remains a puzzle to me
      3. Why the full-image-intel-5xx-64.wic.xz Image generated is always a live booting Image?
        • full-image-intel-5xx-64.wic which we flash in the bootable USB / SD card always prompts to install in the EMMC, or performs a live boot.
        • I understand that the rootfs is compressed as squashfs in the Image generated.
        • I cannot figure out what to change in the configuration to generate an actual Image which i can flash and run in the SD card / USB drive.

P.S:

I have attached the above referred run.do_uefiapp python script file, and refosiot.wks WIC Kickstart file.

I beleive you won't require the 1.2G full-image-intel-5xx-64.wic.xz

• 1. Re: Joule ref-os-iot : How do I build and Flash the Kernel Image Independently?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Kanna,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule Platform.

Those are very good questions that I would like to investigate a little bit more and as soon as I have useful information I’ll let you know.

I’ll appreciate your patience during the meantime.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.

• 2. Re: Joule ref-os-iot : How do I build and Flash the Kernel Image Independently?
            Kanna_NTN

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for your interest in this topic. Is there any update on this query?

TIA.

regards,

Kannan M.

• 3. Re: Joule ref-os-iot : How do I build and Flash the Kernel Image Independently?
              Intel Corporation

Hi Kannan,

At this moment we are still working on your query, I would like to let you know that as soon as I have any updates I’ll let you know.

Regards,
              -Yermi A.  

• 4. Re: Joule ref-os-iot : How do I build and Flash the Kernel Image Independently?
                Intel Corporation

Hi Kannan,

Thank you for your patience. We would like to update you with the following information:

1. How to generate a UEFI configuration file (/boot/EFI/bootx64.efi) file from the Kernel Image (bzImage) generated?
                  • bootx64.efi is generated during build via the do_uefiapp function. One can call the function via bitbake like so:
                bitbake -f -c uefiapp full-image
                    • Next, the xboot64.efi can be copied to the boot partition. See steps below.
                  • For iterative kernel development, the above method is quite time consuming and it's faster to compile the kernel in devshell and then copy the generated bzImage via objcopy on device: 
                    • Kernel compilation:
                bitbake -c devshell virtual/kernel
                make -j8
                # Kernel build dir is printed in the first line of make
                scp <KERNEL BUILD DIR>/arch/x86/bzImage root@<device ip>:/tmp/

• On device:
                # mount efi partition so xboot64.efi can be updated
                mkdir /tmp/boot_part
                mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /tmp/boot_part
                objcopy --remove-section .linux /tmp/boot_part/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi /tmp/bootx64-tmp.efi
                objcopy --add-section .linux=/tmp/bzImage --change-section-vma .linux=0x40000 /tmp/bootx64-tmp.efi /tmp/bootx64-new.efi
                # replace the bootx64.efi with the new file
                cp /tmp/bootx64-new.efi /tmp/boot_part/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi
                umount /tmp/boot_part
                reboot

• Kernel command line is built from pieces. e.g. meta-ref-os-iot/meta-5xx/conf/machine/intel-5xx-64.conf:
                APPEND_append = " console=ttyS2,115200 video=efifb maxcpus=4 reboot=efi kmemleak=off net.ifnames=0"

• Device boot process/flow is as follows: BIOS -> bootx64.efi -> kernel -> ramdisk -> user space (systemd/init) 
                    • bootx64.efi has kernel, kernel command line and ramdisk embedded in it

2. How WIC generates Bootable Images from the Generated Rootfs? 

• Ref-OS-IoT uses intel-refkit as base and WIC generation is done in that layer. WIC itself is part of meta-openempedded layers and is something that comes from yocto/oe.
                  • .wks file is this: intel-iot-refkit/meta-refkit/wic/refkit-directdisk.wks.in

3. Why the full-image-intel-5xx-64.wic.xz Image generated is always a live booting Image? 

• This is how the development team has decided to implement this feature. It's similar to Ubuntu, you can try and install it in case you are interested in.
                  • rootfs is not using squashfs. The wic image is an uncompressed image (three partitions stitched into one), but wic.xz is a compressed image.
                  • I cannot figure out what to change in the configuration to generate an actual Image which I can flash and run in the SD card / USB drive.
                    • Remove the installer and you'll have a booting image without any prompts during boot. Remove/comment out this line (meta-ref-os-iot/meta-5xx/conf/local.conf.sample):
                PACKAGE_INSTALL_append_pn-refkit-initramfs = " initramfs-framework-installer"

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
                -Yermi A.

• 5. Re: Joule ref-os-iot : How do I build and Flash the Kernel Image Independently?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Kanna,

I would like to know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
                  -Yermi A.

• 6. Re: Joule ref-os-iot : How do I build and Flash the Kernel Image Independently?
                    Kanna_NTN

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for your reply. The steps mentioned were useful.