4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2017 3:17 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC7i7BNH - 24V Power Supply

anzmuda

HI

I would like to plug NUC:

1. Directly to Batteries of Robot (24-28V , depending from state of batteries)
      2. Directly to 24V Power Supply (in these case 24V is stable)

I want to plug it directly because in these case i am saving space inside the robot, now i have to use DC/DC converters.

Is it possible to supply it like these? In manual is written that voltage should be 12-19V but is possible to apply higher voltage(24V)?

Best regards,

Andrzej

• 1. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 24V Power Supply
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello anzmuda,

As you mentioned previously the board can be powered through a 12-19 V DC, using a DC with a higher voltage may not perform as expected and can damage the motherboard. We recommend complying with this requirement in order to ensure the lifespan of the motherboard and its components.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 24V Power Supply
            anzmuda

Hi Amy,

Of course i understand but my question is:

Did you made any test of NUC with applying higher voltage? Is it working with 24V?

It seems to me that inside the NUC is Voltage Step down converter to 12V so is these converter able to handle bigger voltage?

Can you provide any details about these Power Conversion block inside the NUC?

I am aware of risks but before applying 24V i would like to know that anybody tried it before or not.

Regards,

Andrzej

• 3. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 24V Power Supply
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

anzmuda, from my end we have only tested the Intel® NUC under its specifications, maybe another community member can share more information regarding this matter.

The electrical and power supply considerations can be found on the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSpec.pdf

Regards,

Amy C. 

• 4. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 24V Power Supply
                N.Scott.Pearson

Andrzej,

The specification for the DC input connector is stated as "+19 (±10%) V DC". This says that the absolute maximum sustainable input is specified as being 20.9V. You must accept that anything above this level is not going to be tolerated and could result in damage to the NUC's components. Intel does not release information regarding the components used in the NUC. Further, Intel reserves the right to change these components at any time (i.e. what you get in one particular unit is not necessarily what you will get in another particular unit).

Bottom line, if your power source is providing 24V, then, if you want to stay within your warranty coverage, you must use a DC-DC (Buck) converter to step it down to 19V.

My opinion? If you cannot accept these statements, then, by all means, feel free to feed in 24V and see what happens -- but understand that you are doing this on your own, at your own expense; that you are voiding your warranty by doing so. Don't go whining to Intel if it fries the NUC.

...S