10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 1:00 AM by godzich

What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?

godzich

Hi,

I have an application where I need to connect two 13Mpix cameras to the Joule. Both camera interfaces support 4-lane CSI-2 at full speed.

I'm saddened by the data sheet that says that the second camera port is considered "seconday" and only supports 5Mpixels.

What is or are the limiting factor(s)? Harware? Buffer sizes? Or what? Why cannot the module read from two identical high pixel count cameras when it has two capable physical interfaces? I am fully OK with a lower fps if this only is a bandwidth issue...

Where can I find more info on this?

Cheers,

Christian

• 1. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Christian,

Thank you for contacting us.

This is a very interesting question, I will investigate more about it and I'll contact you when I have helpful information.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,
          Leonardo R.

• 2. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
            godzich

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for your prompt reply! This question is as interesting as it is important. So many applications would benefit from two full fledged camera CSI inputs. I'm in the middle of a design-in and would seriously consider to use the Joule module for several products but this 5Mpix senocndary camera limit is a serious issue.! Therefore I need to understand if the limit is software or hardware related. I guess many others would benefit from your upcoming answer to this question. Thanks in advance for your great support!

Cheers,

Christian

• 3. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
              Intel Corporation

Hi Christian,

We were reviewing your case and we were wondering why you would like to use the dual 13 MP cameras. What I mean is if you have in mind any specific use case for the cameras. For example, do you want to take 13 MP still images? Or do you need them for 2x 4K30 video streams? Or some other use?

This information will be very useful in our investigation.

We will be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Leonardo R.

• 4. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
                godzich

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for the followup. Generally speaking there are a myriad of applications that would benefit from two identical UHD camera interfaces. Why on purpose downgrade the other? Non-stereoscopic applications would benefit from the possibility to switch between two equally high resolution cameras to enlarge the field of view. Stereoscopic applications would benefit from the added precision using 4K sensors in both positions. I fully understand that these CPU's were originally designed for applications havin one "primary" and one lesser quality "secondary" cam. I'm just trying to understand if this limitation is in the hardware, firmware or supporting software? The two physical 4-lane camera SCI-2-ports seem to have egual specs and support each enough bandwith for 13Mpix cameras!

In our case one use would be to take 4K stereo (simultaneous exposure) stills at about 5FPS, or alternatively stream video from two 13Mpix sensors so that the camera outputs are  downscaled to HD data (2x2 binned at the cameras). It is given that even if the outputs would be downscaled at the cameras, both interfaces must support 13Mpix cameras. Again, if this is just a question about some internal limited bandwith, we could live with somewhat lower FPS rates to compensate for it. The question remains - what limits the "secondary" camera port to 5Mpix? We would not mind to be able to capture full UHD video from two cameras simultaneously, but that is not an imminent requirement.

I hope this clarifies my question and some use cases. I think this would be equally important for you to find an answer - assuming you wouldn't mind if the ingenious Joule module finds it way into as many applications as possible

Appreciate your prompt assistance!

Cheers,

Christian

• 5. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Christian,

Thank you so much for the excellent explanation. This information will be helpful.

We will contact you as soon as we have information about this.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                  Leonardo R.

• 6. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
                    godzich

Hi,

Sorry to be impatient, but is there at this time anything new you can tell about this issue? I have some deadlines approaching and would appreciate your assistance making the right and important decisions for the future.

Cheers,

Christian

• 7. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
                      friedrichmaeckle

Hi Christian, I hope you saw that Intel discontinued the Intel Joule module (and all the other stuff around it) and so will they with their supports and efforts for the platform. This is sad for the whole community but I would not be suprised if there is no further support for all issues concerning the platform due to lack of management support

• 8. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Christian,

We really appreciate your patience.

I have been reviewing your concern with the development team in order to get some more details about the topic. They just confirmed me that the limitation of a single implementable 13 MP camera is by design and software dependent. Unfortunately, connecting two 13 MP cameras is not considered to be implemented for Joule.

Having this said, if your project requires to have two 13 MP cameras, I'd recommend you to consider other options since Joule wouldn't be the best option in this scenario.

I hope I have answered your concern.

Regards,
                        Leonardo R.

• 9. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
                          michael_p

Having this said, if your project requires to have two 13 MP cameras, I'd recommend you to consider other options since Joule wouldn't be the best option in this scenario.

But of course only in this scenario! Otherwise, Joule is a really really great option you know.

• 10. Re: What limits the maximum pixel count to 5Mpix in the secondary camera interface?
                            godzich

Hi,

Thank you for the answer.

However, I am really bothered about the fact that you omit the most important detail - that you have decided to discontinue Joule among others modules. If not Friedrich would have kindly informed about the real status, I would have been misleaded badly by your answer!  It's quite clear that Intel is not inside some of our upcoming products.  My sympathies to those that already have done some design-ins using Joule