13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2017 9:23 AM by cyberforce

Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC

cyberforce

I have Intel 5TH NUC ( nuc5i3ryh ) + (nuc5i5ryh)

Both are already upgrade to Latest BIOS. [RYBDWi35.86A]

I planned to upgrade to M.2 SATA SSD - Sandisk X110 SD6SP1M-64G which is from my laptop.

Sandisk X110 SD6SP1M-64G  can be detected on 5th NUC visual BIOS ....  but not on Windows 10 installation process.   It can not detect anything.

I change to M.2 NVMe SSD - SAMSUNG PM961 - 128G which is from my laptop

Everything is OK with SAMSUNG PM961 and 5TH NUC. 

completed - Windows 10 Installation

But I can see a signification BUG with  SAMSUNG PM961 and 5TH NUC.

Windows 10 --> Shutdown --> Power on --> Visual BIOS Screen --> Boot to Windows 10 ---> It's OK

Windows 10 --> Restart --> Visual BIOS --> Boot to Windows 10 (FAIL !!!) --> Windows 10 EMS Repair Mode .................Power OFF --> Power ON --> Visual BIOS --> Boot to Windows 10 (OK!!!)  ...... Everytime

It's seem to be a Bug with Visual BIOS and SAMSUNG PM961 SSD ....

Is there any advice ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

Just to confirm, on point 1 you mentioned that with the Sandisk X110 SD6SP1M-64G you are not able to install Windows® 10, and on point 2 you said that with SAMSUNG PM961 there is no problem installing Windows® 10 on the 5th NUC.

But, then you mentioned there is a bug with SAMSUNG PM961 and 5TH NUC.
          So the problem in regard to the NUC happens with the Sandisk X110 SD6SP1M-64G or with SAMSUNG PM961?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
            cyberforce

Thanks to the confirm

I provide more detail.

Install Sandisk X110 SD6SP1M-64G into 5TH NUC M.2 SATA Slot --> Visual BIOS Screen --> Can be Detected as a M.2 SATA Device --> EFI Boot Windows 10 Installer from USB --> The Installer can NOT detect any storage device ....... installation Fail ....

Install Sandisk X110 SD6SP1M-64G into 2.5 M.2 SATA to SATA Converter --> install into 5TH NUC 2.5" SATA Slot --> Visual BIOS Screen --> Can be Detected as a SATA Device --> EFI Boot Windows 10 Installer from USB --> The Installer can NOT detect any storage device ....... installation Fail ....

I am give-up with Sandisk X110 SD6SP1M-64G and 5TH NUC

-------

Change to SAMSUNG PM961

Install SAMSUNG PM961 into 5TH NUC M.2 Slot --> Visual BIOS Screen --> Can be Detect as a PCI-e NVMe Device --> Install Windows 10 is OK.... But there some problem during Windows 10 Reboot Process as belowing

Windows 10 --> Shutdown --> Power on --> Visual BIOS Screen --> Boot to Windows 10 ---> It's OK

Windows 10 --> Restart/Reboot --> Boot to Windows 10 (FAIL !!!) --> Windows 10 EMS Repair Mode .................Then I Push Power OFF button --> Push Power ON button  --> Boot to Windows 10 (OK!!!)  ...... Every time

• 3. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
              Intel Corporation

You are welcome. As you mentioned previously, the problem could be related to compatibility between the NUC and that specific SSD.

In order to try to fix this problem, we can try a BIOS update to the latest version: 0364, on the link below you will find the instructions of how to do it using the F7 method and the file needed:
              https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005850.html
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26808/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=83257

Additionally, on the following link you will find the list of tested peripherals for the NUC, in there you will find a list of compatible SSDs:
              https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000005503.html

Any questions, please let me know.  

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                  cyberforce

HI @

I have upgraded BIOS to Latest BIOS Version of Intel 5TH NUC ( nuc5i3ryh ) + (nuc5i5ryh).

BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A]

I also changed my M.2 to Samsung SM951 256GB (Intel NUC Certified SSD)

But the problem is not change.

Install SAMSUNG SM951 into 5TH NUC M.2 Slot --> Visual BIOS Screen --> Can be Detect as a PCI-e NVMe Device --> Install Windows 10 is OK.... But there some problem during Windows 10 Reboot Process as belowing

Windows 10 --> Restart/Reboot --> Boot to Windows 10 (FAIL !!!) (!!!!!!!  0xc0000454 BCD Error !!!!!!!!) --> Windows 10 EMS Repair Mode .................Then I Push Power OFF button --> Push Power ON button  --> Boot to Windows 10 (OK!!!)  ...... Every time

I have tried Many-Many-Many times to  re-install Windows 10 and got the same ERROR !!!

• 6. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                    Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you for providing those results.

On how many units are you getting this problem?
                    Could you please provide the model of the memory RAM you are using, how many sticks you have and the size of them?
                    You mentioned you re-install Windows many different times. All those times were you using the same Windows image?

Regards
                    Alberto R

• 7. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                      Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to check if you saw the information we requested previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 8. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                        cyberforce

Both Intel 5TH NUC ( nuc5i3ryh ) + (nuc5i5ryh) are config as dual Kingston DDR3L 8GB Memory.

SO. I got NUC5i3RYH on 16Gb Memory and NUC5i5RYH on 16GB Memory.

The 2.5 SATA Slot is used for WD WD7500bpkt (750Gb) Hard Drive.

My Windows Installation image ISO (Windows 10 with creator update) is directly download from Microsoft.

And I Convert ISO to USB Installation Stick.

I download and make the installation media for 3 times.

The BIOS Boot Setting of NUC is UEFI Boot only.

Last night, I tried once again. The problem is still occurred.  

1.(Installation is OK)(no Error Message)

2.(Reboot to Windows is OK)

3.(Add some Windows Feature such as Hyper-v/.NET Framework/IIS/ .... )

--> reboot --> Fail --> reboot --> into Windows Rescue Mode --> Push Power-off --> Power-on --> Ok into Windows --> reboot --> fail --> reboot --> into Windows Rescue Mode --> Push Power-off --> Power-on --> OK into Windows --> Windows Update --> Use Power-OFF --> Push Power-On Button --> OK into Windows

• 9. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                          Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for providing that information.

By any chance, do you have the option to use a different ISO image? Even though you are downloading it from the Microsoft’s web site, at the moment when you convert it to ISO, it might get corrupted and it will not work as expected.
                          There are a lot of users that recommend to use the following tool to create the ISO image:
                          https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I will try to reproduce this same scenario in our lab, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,
                          Alberto R

• 10. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                            Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to let you know that we tried to replicate this scenario in our lab and the issue was not replicated:

Parts:
                            NUC5i5RYH
                            Intel® SSD: SSDSA2M040G2GC
                            https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025
                            Memory RAM: (1 stick)
                            http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct25664bf160bj
                            Windows® 10 Pro 64-bit

I installed the OS without no problems at all, then I turn the NUC off, remove the USB bootable stick, turn it on and it boots with no problems. Then reboot the NUC about 10 times, I turn it off another 10 times and there was no problem at all, Windows worked normally and there was no booting problems.

So we will start a research on this matter since you are using an SSD that was tested as fully compatible and the problem remains. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

How many NUCs are showing this problem besides the two you already mentioned?

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,
                            Alberto R

• 11. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                              rguevara

:

I have been checking on this thread and here are some comments to your previous post:

1.(Installation is OK)(no Error Message) --> If installation went okay and the SSD was properly recognized by BIOS and by the Operating System this indicates both the NUC and the SSD are functioning okay as the Operating System deployment is when the system gets high utilized and most issues happen during this phase.

2.(Reboot to Windows is OK) --> It seems everything is working as expected.

3.(Add some Windows Feature such as Hyper-v/.NET Framework/IIS/ .... )

--> reboot --> Fail --> reboot --> into Windows Rescue Mode --> Push Power-off --> Power-on --> Ok into Windows --> reboot --> fail --> reboot --> into Windows Rescue Mode --> Push Power-off --> Power-on --> OK into Windows --> Windows Update --> Use Power-OFF --> Push Power-On Button --> OK into Windows --> It may be a good idea to contact Microsoft* and understand why an application may be causing this issue, did you try several times before you installed these applications? This doesnt really look to me as a compatibility issue between the NUC and the SSD

Regards,

Ronny G

• 12. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                                Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                                Alberto R

• 13. Re: Poor M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD Compatibility with my INTEL 5TH NUC
                                  cyberforce

Dear All

I found the reason after many times of reworks.

The symptom is Hyper-V which is the feature of Windows 10 Professional.

The O/S is Windows 10 Professional.

BIOS had been upgraded to latest version.

If I choose to install Hyper-V feature, the reboot process become abnormal.

If I choose not to install Hyper-V feature (Use VMware Workstation), the reboot process and everything become OK.

I provide this information, maybe sometime .....Intel can fix this bug of NUC.

thank you