Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Raid 5 'failed' instead of 'degraded'

idata
Employee

One of the drives on my ICH10r 3x1TB RAID5 array went down a while ago. I just got the replacement and it seems to be fine, however I can't get the http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256376-32-ich10r-raid-failed-degraded# RAID controller to do anything useful with it.

The volume is marked as 'failed' instead of 'degraded'. The manual for Intel Matrix Storage Manager says it should only be marked as 'failed' when more than one member drive has failed, however the software clearly indicates that there is only one missing drive.

Intel Matrix Storage Controller doesn't seem to be giving me any option to include the drive (which is shown under 'Non-RAID Disks') in the array, nor it is automatically rebuilding the array or anything like that.

Is there any way to force it to return to 'degraded' and attempt a rebuild?

Thanks in advance,
0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Is there any way to force it to return to 'degraded' and attempt a rebuild?

A/ No.

You may try to update the motherboard BIOS and install the latest version of the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager, this can sometimes re-detect the information on the hard drives and set the RAID as degraded and not failed. This is a one in a million chance.

It is simple, failed = information lost. Degraded = can be repaired.

PV.

0 Kudos