1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 2:16 PM by Intel Corporation

Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone

Rudja

Hello everyone,

I want to connect another flight controller on this drone but I am blocked with the powering of the Intel Aero board.

I am following this document (Connecting the Pixhawk Flight Controller to the Intel® Aero Compute... ).

The power + UART cable is not in the package, so I cut the TX, RX and GND cables from the Power + UART connector on the Intel Aero Board, and made a new connector for my Pixhawk. The rest of the cable are always connected to the original power distribution.

By doing this, I am not able to power up anymore the Aero, even if I reconnect cable (Tx, Rx and GND) to the original connector...

Any idea of what is causing that please?

Another question:

- Is there a way to only shop this Power + UART cable? I am from France.

- Can I receive from support all cable between power distribution board and aero enclosure? Sure I can pay for that service. It is quiet urgent because we have deadlines.

Thanks,

Rudja

• 1. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
          Rudja

After some investigations, and by letting my finger on the power up button, the kind of screen bellow the Aero board is showing a zero then a dash in the middle of the screen.

The datasheet does not refer to this screen, so I cannot do much.

I do not think that it is the connection between the flight controller and the Aero board which cause this because the Pixhawk gives 3,3V too...

Thanks,

Rudja

• 2. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Rudja,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm not sure why you are having these issues, and it is really hard for us to find them. Normally if you want to develop your own drone project we recommend to use  the Intel Aero Compute Board, probably Intel RealSense 3D sensors, your choice of flight controller, motors, propellers frame and a software you would develop for your specific needs. 

The Intel Aero Ready To Fly ("RTF") is a kit to start coding and run flight tests without assembling a drone, and any hardware modification is not recommended because you have to consider a lot of factors which may damage the system at some level and void the warranty

Having said this, the Power + UART cable is not available alone, it only comes with the Intel Aero Compute Board, but you can buy all the cables between power distribution board and aero enclosure here: http://us.yuneec.com/Aero-Drone-All-cables-between-power-distribution-board-and-Aero-enclosure

About your last reply, if it is possible, could you please connect the RTF back to its initial configuration to check if you still have this issue? If you do, please send us a picture of the error (Zero and dash).

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,
            Leonardo R.

• 3. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
              Rudja

Hello Leonardo,

I connected the RTF back and got some pictures for you.

When I keep pressing the power button of the drone, I get these two characters on this kind of LCD.

If I drop the button, the board is not powered up. The bios is also not starting. 

zero.jpegdash.jpeg

Regards,

Rudja

• 4. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                Soubhi

Hi All,

I have the same issue with my Intel Aero RTF. When I press the power button, it turns off when I press up the button immediately.

I tried the Aero Board alone with external power supply and it works without any problem.

I noticed that if I keep holding the power button on the drone, It works (because the blue led turns off and the green one turns on).
                I tried to change the power supply and cables in the drone (I have spare parts) and unplug all other parts (such as the motors and fan ,,,) but I got the same behavior.

Could you please provide me with any tips to figure out where is the problem?

Thank you,Soubhi

• 5. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                  Intel Corporation

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information.

Rudja, I know that you told us that the BIOS is not starting, but could you send us a picture of the HDMI output when you try to power the RTF?

Soubhi, that's weird, did you make any hardware modification before this issue? Can you give more details about it? And could you also provide us pictures of the HDMI output?

We will be waiting for your reply.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                  Leonardo R.

• 6. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                    Rudja

Hi Leonardo,

Unfortunately, we have nothing on the screen while I keep pressing the power button.

It is why that I am so worried...

Thanks, have a nice day too.

Regards,

Rudja

• 7. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Rudja,

Thanks for letting us know.

I’ll need more time to search what may be causing this issue.

As soon as I have relevant information, I’ll post it here.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                      Leonardo R.

• 8. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                        Soubhi

Hi Leonardo,

No I did not do any hardware modification. I just removed the the pillar (as explained here). The board works well in standalone and the OS booted normally. If I connect it to drone power (as in the attached image) and press the power on button, it turns off immediately after pressing up the button. I tried to keep pressing and connected it to monitor and it worked normally. I do not know why the circuit cuts after pressing the button.

19197808_1379621532117575_1886851736_o.jpg

Thank you,

Soubhi

• 9. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Soubhi,

Thanks for the information.

We are going to investigate about this too, we will contact you soon.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                          Leonardo R.

• 10. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                            Intel Corporation

Hi guys,

We have just noticed that if the cable is connected to the “power and UART” port, the board receives power only when the button is pressed. When we connect the “power and UART” and “80 pin accessories – power board J1” to the power distribution, the drone works as expected.

So, if you guys want to use the power distribution board, you will need to connect the “power and UART” and “80 pin accessories – power board J1” cable to the PDB as originally connected in the RTF.

Other ways to power the compute board are described in the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/apu-170405-pixhawk-flight-guide.pdf page 7.

I hope you find this information helpful, and let us know if you still have issues.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                            Leonardo R.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                              Soubhi

Thank you Leonardo. It works with me.

Kind Regards,

Soubhi.

• 12. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                                Intel Corporation

Hi Soubhi,

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Rudja, do you have any updates?

We will be waiting for your reply.

Regards,
                                Leonardo R.

• 13. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                                  Rudja

Hi Leonardo,

Sorry for the late answer. My project was in pause.

I had already tried this solution but not working for me... I tried to investigate today on this board, and I get it working by removing then by replacing this component. (see attachment below). It was situated below the board. strange aeroBoard.jpeg

I do not know what is it, because there is no reference in your documentation, but the problem is solved now. It is quiet weird.

I have also verified if there are some component unsoldered but no. The last thing I thought about, is that the heatsink is touching something.

Nethertheless I have one question: what is the purpose of this component? (A debug lcd?)

Regards,

Rudja

• 14. Re: Change Flight Controller on Aero Drone
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi Rudja,

That's weird, I will need more time to research about that component, I will let you know soon.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if the another flight controller that you were trying to add to the RTF is still connected to the RTF drone. 

I will be waiting for your reply. 

Regards,
                                    Leonardo R.

1 2 Previous Next