11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 7:32 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS

Hilal

Following the instructions here [ IoT ] to flash the BIOS, I installed FlashUSBDriver1.0 on Windows 10 running on Intel compute stick (2016) STK1AW32SC then restarted.

Powering the Joule into DnX mode (only one LED on) and connecting the USB-C cable, the device manger doesn't show the device under USB devices, but rather in other devices (unknown):

18985191_10154858245987872_1567192131_n.jpg

Without installed driver.
      So when running the command Flash.bat the result is (device not found):

18983185_10154858246257872_2103441477_n.jpg

What's the problem with driver? or what are other options to flash the BIOS from a non-Windows machine?

Muhammad Hilal,

• 1. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Hilal,

Thank you for contacting us. The Online guide for the Intel Joule Module says that one of the requirements to flash the BIOS is:” A development workstation running Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows10 (32-bit and 64-bit version are supported)”
          So, for now, these are the only options to flash the device.

From the error message you posted, one can see some tips on what you can try. Have you booted in DnX mode and confirmed the USB cable is properly connected? Trying a different set of cables can also help.

I found a thread with the same issue and the user said to have found a solution. Take a look at https://communities.intel.com/message/417500#417500 and let me know if this helps resolve your issue.

If you still have problems, please post pictures of the stages in which the procedure fails.

We’ll be waiting for your response.
          -Sergio A

• 2. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
            Hilal

Hi Sergio,

I still have the problem.
            At first here are all the programs installed on the device, not including any conflicting driver:

0.jpg

I install the driver from the BIOS downloaded folder with FlashUsbDriver-1.0.0.exe, then restart Windows, it then appears in the programs list.

While pressing on the DnX button on the Joule (the one alone near the module) I connect the power 12V, then connect the USB-C cable (the one that came with the Joule package) to the Compute stick.

The Joule shows only one LED on indicating the DnX mode:
            2.JPG

1.JPG

Then the "Intel DnX Device" shows in Device Manager in "Other Devices":
            3.jpg

and when trying to flash the BIOS with Flash.bat the same errors as the first post appear.

I had read the thread you sent before, and I already do the steps as required, including installing the driver.

Thanks,
            Muhammad Hilal

• 3. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
              Intel Corporation

Hi Hilal,

Thank you for your response. I’ve a few questions and comments: 

• From the download section where you downloaded the BIOS, which version have you downloaded? There is a version that was just released on June 8th. Have you tried to flash the BIOS using this release?
              • I noticed in your setup that you’re using a compute stick. The guide for flashing the BIOS doesn’t consider using a compute stick. According to the guide, the flashing process requires you to Plug in the Type-C USB cable to a USB port on your host computer. Would you try to flash the BIOS using this setup? Let us know your results.
              • Step 9 in the guide says that the process could fail if the .bin file is copied to the DnX folder more than once. Confirm you’ve only copied one file. 
              • Step 11 indicates that the command to flash the BIOS should be entered in the DnX directory. If entered elsewhere, the flashing process is will fail. Also, be sure that when entering the command to flash the BIOS that it matches the BIOS file within the DnX folder.
              Please confirm the version you’re using, your results of trying to flash without the compute stick and that steps 9 and 11 of the guide are acknowledged.

-Sergio A
              • 4. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                Cycleist

Hi Intel,

I have same issue in my side like a Hilal.

In my PC as code 28 error for DnX driver.

Therefore, Where i can get the these DnX driver? or let me know the correctly how to update driver.

Following are 570x linux information

=======================================================

root@intel-5xx-64:~# cat /etc/*-release

ID="ref-os-iot"

NAME="Ref-Os-Iot"

VERSION="1.0+snapshot-20170221"

VERSION_ID="1.0+snapshot-20170221"

PRETTY_NAME="Ref-Os-Iot 1.0+snapshot-20170221"

BUILD_ID="20170221163119"

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                  Cycleist

Hi, Intel.

I have solved using the FlashUsbDriver-1.0.0.exe (\DNX\DNX-dldrcli\installer) before BIOS update.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                    Intel Corporation

Hi guys

@Cycleist-Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s good to hear you managed to solve this issue.

@Hilal-Do you still need assistance with this thread? Could you confirm you’ve gone through our suggestions from our previous reply? You can also try @Cycleist’s suggestion and let us know your results.

Regards,
                    -Sergio A

• 7. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                      Hilal

Hi Sergio,

The issue has not been solved yet, the confirmations sent above are all clear from the start and rechecked multiple times:

> I downloaded 1D1, 1F1, then the latest 1H3, the same problem is faced. Actually the problem is not about the specific BIOS flashing but rather on the Intel DnX driver that doesn't make the board recognized as a USB device.
                      > Now the INTEL compute stick is just another Windows 10 PC with Windows 10 Home edition and two USB 2.0/3.0 Type-A ports (tried both) which fit with the Type-C to Type-A cable provided with the Joule. It's really strange to consider it unsupported just by the form factor. It could be a bug in your driver to not work with that machine/installation (and potentially others) but that should never be a justified distinction.
                      We bought the Intel Stick specifically to fit in our development as a Windows 10 machine for such tasks as all our workstations run macOS and Linux. Currently we are looking for a spare Windows 10 machine to troubleshoot against.

> No the bin file is not copied twice
                      > The command and directory are correct, and the problem is not about the command and flashing, but recognizing the board itself

What Cycleist did is installing the FlashUsbDriver-1.0.0.exe, now we wouldn't go through all that if that wasn't tried. It's mentioned in the first line that "I installed FlashUSBDriver1.0 on Windows 10 running on Intel compute stick (2016) STK1AW32SC then restarted". However the board is not recognized as USB device afterwards.

It's most likely a bug in the driver causing a conflict with something on the Intel Compute Stick PC. We would appreciate either to have steps to debug that driver installation or we'll wait till trying on another PC.

Thanks!
                      Muhammad Hilal,

• 8. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Hilal,

Please allow us to clarify this misunderstanding. What we meant with this reply: 

“The guide for flashing the BIOS doesn’t consider using a compute stick.” 

is that flashing the BIOS was only validated by plugging in a Type-C USB cable to a USB port on the host computer, not necessarily that using a compute stick is unsupported. 

Please, let us know your results after trying to follow the process on another PC. It’d also be interesting to know if this error persists if using a USB connected to a host computer instead of to the compute stick.

Regards,
                        -Sergio A

• 9. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Hilal,

Do you still need assistance with this case? 
                          Keep us updated on your tests using a different PC.

Regards,
                          -Sergio A

• 10. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                            Hilal

Hi Sergio,

I can confirm now the Intel DnX was recognized as USB device and BIOS flashing done on another Windows 10 PC (ASUS Laptop). So the problem is indeed with the Intel Compute Stick Windows 10 PC.
                            It's a shame however that our product development won't incorporate the Joule after the abrupt discontinuation of the module. But thanks anyways.

Hilal,

• 11. Re: Intel DnX driver not working properly while trying to flash the BIOS
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Hilal,

Thank you for running the tests and confirming the DnX was recognized in another computer. Don’t hesitate to contact us again if help is needed.

-Sergio A