Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 cannot display larger resolution than 1920x1080 on a 4k 49" TV.

idata
Employee

I have ASUS ROG GL552VX laptop with i5 6300HQ processor, running Windows 10 Home Edition. It has integrated Intel HD Graphics 530 and nVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M GPU.

When I connect my LG 49UH610V 4k TV to laptop, using HDMI cable (not sure which version of cable), I cannot choose larger display resolution for TV than 1920x1080.

I understand that if I don't use HDMI 2.0 cable I cannot project 4k @ 60Hz, but I should be able to do 4k @ 30Hz, which is fine for me.

I have tried to make the custom resolution for TV (3840x2160 @ 30Hz), but still cannot change to it, meaning that it doesn't appear in available resolutions (max res is 1920x1080).

I have tried all of the above with TV as main display, "Second Display Only" setting in Windows 10 multiple displays menu.

Please help!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

drleco: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Graphics communities.

In order to try to fix this problem, did you try to install the latest graphics drivers for your laptop? Look for the VGA option on the link below:

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL552VX/HelpDesk_Download/

Were you able to use a resolution higher than 1920x1080 before?

Did you try to get in contact with ASUS directly about this problem? A BIOS update might be useful in this case and they should be able to provide the instructions of how to do it:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Additionally, on the link below you will find the driver version 4678, that is the latest driver version for Intel® HD Graphics 530, you can always try to install that driver in order to try to get the resolution you are looking for:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26836/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88345

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the swift answer.

I bought this laptop a week ago, and two days ago I've tried to connect it to my 4k TV, using 4k res, so that's when I started searching the Internet for a solution.

I did previously went to https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL552VX/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL552VX/HelpDesk_Download/ (which seems to be the exactly the same page you mentioned), and under VGA it lists three drivers:

- Intel Graphics Driver V20.19.15.4454 (203.01 MB, 2016/06/13)

- nVidia Graphics Driver V10.18.13.5407 (439.73 MB, 2015/11/09)

- Intel Graphics Driver V10.18.15.4279 (177.88 MB, 2015/09/15)

I've downloaded the first one (V20.19.15.4454), but before the installation, I've decided to check the currently installed version. So, in "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel", under section "Options and Support", I saw that Driver Version is 21.20.16.4550.

Judging by the frist two figures on driver version number, it appeared to me that I have a newer version installed, so I didn't want to install the one I just downloaded. So I went looking for another solution. Up to this point, I still have the stock drivers for Win10 ASUS sells this laptop with. So, which driver is newer?

Just to quickly answer the rest of your questions:

- This was the first time I tried to use any other res higher than 1920x1080. But, yesterday, I did manage to connect the laptop to Dell U2412M monitor utilizing 1920x1200 res, which works fine (I'm using it right now).

- Up to this point, I haven't contacted ASUS regarding this problem. I did thought about a BIOS update, but I'd like to check if there is another way to solve this, without messing with BIOS just yet. I use this laptop for work, so it's important to me not to mess it up.

- As far as the Intel HD Graphics 530 driver is concerned, in the link you posted I see this info - Version: 15.45.19.4678 (Latest) Date: 5/30/2017. Judging by the date, it seems that it rally is the latest version, so I can conclude that I'm not reading Intel driver versions correctly, right? I thought that in the driver version structure of ww.xx.yy.zzzz, ww is used to broadly classify versions. For example, 15.45.19.4678 is older than 20.19.15.4454, which is older than 21.20.16.4550. But it appears that it isn't so. Any advice on this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

UPDATE:

I've unzipped the driver I downloaded from ASUS GL552VX drivers page to a temp folder, after which I've started the setup file. Unfortunately, I got the following message:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer. Setup will exit."

I've checked the meaning of this message https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html here, and it says this the result of using a driver other than the one intended by manufacturer, it can reduce functionalities and it doesn't allow me to proceed with installation. This is the driver I've downloaded from ASUS website for this exact model.

Damn!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

drleco: In regard to your question, yes, the driver version 21.20.16.4550 is newer than 20.19.15.4454 and the latest driver version in our web site for the Intel® HD Graphics 530 is 15.45.19.4678, which is newer than both of them.

In regard to the error message, it is strange indeed that the laptop is showing it because you are actually installing a driver provided specifically for it. Actually, we recommend to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the laptop, because the Intel graphics drivers are generic and they may or may not work with your system, but it is always an alternative to try.

So, at this point to install driver version 15.45.19.4678 will be the next step to try, it might fix the problem but if the issue persists after that, then the next thing to do will be to get in contact with ASUS directly either to do a BIOS update or to get further suggestions from them.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've got a suggestion on ASUS's ROG forum to check if my TV is capable to push 4k over HDMI. After I've checked all spec sheets I could find, both in print and online, it seems that the TV is quite capable of displaying 4k through HDMI.

Looking further for a solution, I got an advice from my friend to check whether my HDMI cable is capable of pushing 4k. After quick online search, I've found a quite helpful article on C|Net: https://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

It seems there are just two types of HDMI cables that may interest me (the ones without Ethernet capability):

1. Standard (a/k/a Category 1) => Up to 1080i (or perhaps even up to 1080p)

2. High-speed (a/k/a Category 2) => Up to 4k@60Hz

Considering that I bought my HDMI cable in 2010, it is quite possible that it's Category 1. So, the next order of business is to get my hands on a proper High-speed HDMI cable and check whether this will solve the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

drleco: Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Perfect, yes, that is a possibility since as you mentioned the cable was purchased back in 2010. So, please try a High-speed HDMI cable and let us know the results.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Solved!

It was the cable!

I've used a HDMI cable purchased two weeks ago, and after connecting laptop and TV, TV's resolution automatically changed to 4096x2160. In display settings I couldn't get it over 30Hz, though, but that's ok for me, as I'll use this setup to watch movies, which are mostly 23.99 fps. In case I manage to get it to work on 60 MHz, I'll post the experience here.

So, the moral of the story is, ALWAYS CHECK THE CABLING FIRST!

Thanks anyway, and big respect to Intel team!

I'm a big Intel fan, ever since the days of 286 processors.

0 Kudos
freesaxon
Beginner

Hello

I was considering using a G3 as a media player and have read that other people have had similar problems.

Was the cable used one with a built in or a slight through cable wired cable

I have read that the display port can do 60Hz have you tried that ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

drleco: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for providing those results. Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that now you are able to use the 4K resolution on your laptop.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos