1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 2:15 PM by rohanK23

Intel Aero Visionary kit

rohanK23

Hello,

I have been doing some testing with the cameras on the RTF drone and realized it is not the right way to test because of the fast discharge of the Li Po's.  I think the compute board is more suited for development and the RTF is for actual testing and flying.

I am deciding to invest in the R200 visionary kit at Intel® RealSense™ Developer Kit (R200), VF0830

Please let me know if this is the only thing I need to hook it up to the compute board I have and start working with the realsense cameras. I plan to go ahead and order it as soon as possible.

best

Rohan

• 1. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
          rohanK23

I want to make sure that I do not need the 'optional' enclosure kit for this and that the visionary kit and compute board are enough to get working with the cameras.

It looks like this is what I need to order

Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Vision Accessory Kit

best

Rohan

• 2. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
            RandyK

I was thinking the same thing, but rather than buy a separate unit, I'm curious if it's possible to rig up the R200 that's connected to the drone for use with desktop/laptop.

i.e.

1 unplug it from the drone,

2 plug into desktop/laptop for development, debugging ..etc.

3 plug back into drone and fly.

Seems like it's using USB3.0. Maybe just need an adapter plug or can rig one up if pins are documented somewhere?

- Randy

• 3. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
              rohanK23

That might be possible to do Randy. I didnt want to unplug/plug/unplug/plug to do any work. I went ahead and ordered the Vision kit from Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Vision Accessory Kit

I have a compute board already so might as well get it.

best

Rohan

• 4. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                RandyK

Just as FYI for anyone else that's curious about the "adapter idea".

I did some preliminary research. The left side is from the R200 datasheet, and the right side is standard wiring for a USB 3.0 connector.

I've drawn some colored lines for my best estimate of how to wire up a custom adapter. I'm not sure I have the guts to try it though. If anyone is more knowledgeable on this topic and can provide insights that'd be great.

• 5. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Aero™ Platform for UAVs.

Rohan, you are right the Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Vision Accessory Kit  is enough to get working the cameras with the Intel® Aero™ Compute Board.

Randy, yes, it may be possible to use the R200 as a desktop, actually I was going to recommend you to check the R200 datasheet, but you already went ahead and post an excellent image with the pin assignments. We appreciate that you took the time to do this.

Now, you should know that the USB 3.0 cable used in the R200 Development Kit has been tested by Intel, so I can't guarantee that the R200 in the Aero may work as a desktop camera.

Hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                  -Jose P.

• 6. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                    rohanK23

Thanks Jose. I did go ahead and order the vision kit. I will let you know if I have any questions when I receive it and start working on it.

• 7. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Rohan,

That's great! We will be happy to help if any questions come up.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
                      -Jose P.

• 8. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                        rohanK23

Hi Jose,

I attached the R200 camera to the board.

Running rs_start_device() from my application gave me the following error:

UVCIOC_CTRL_QUERY:UVC_SET_CUR error 5, Input/output error

rs_get_device() works properly and gives me back the R200 device. Any idea why the start_device is giving the error and what does that error mean ?

best

Rohan

• 9. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                          MartyG

I remembered dealing with a case last month involving that error on the RealSense support forum.

UVCIOC_CTRL_QUERY:UVC_SET_CUR error 5, Input/output error

Cases involving it usually seem to involve the Ubuntu branch of Linux.  That caught my attention on this forum because the recommended flavor of Linux for the Compute Board is Yocto Project (though you can develop an app in Ubuntu on a full PC and send the source code to the Compute Board via wi-fi). 

Are you using Ubuntu with your Compute Board, please?  If so, the following discussion a week ago on the RealSense forum may be useful to you.

Need help connecting R200 to Aero Compute (Ubuntu)

• 10. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                            rohanK23

Hi Marty,

I ran into this problem while running on Yocto. I have not installed Ubuntu on the compute board for reasons stated in the Intel wiki stating certain features including the cameras 'may not work' on ubuntu. Has anyone run into the above error on Yocto ? if so, any idea how to resolve ? I do not have additional R200 cameras to try out.

Rohan

• 11. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                              MartyG

Could you post the rs_start_device() line from your application please so that we can see the precise instructions that you are using?

During some research into this instruction, I noticed that most scripts placed code inside the brackets at the end of rs_start_device.  Example:

void rs_start_device (rs_device * device,

rs_error ** error

)

The above example is supposed to begin streaming on all enabled streams for this device.

• 12. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                                rohanK23

rs_start_device( camera, &e );

where,

rs_device *camera and rs_error *e = 0

As I mentioned,

This works,

camera = rs_get_device( ctx, 0, &e );

• 13. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                                  MartyG

Your line was used in an Intel tutorial for Aero, so it ought to be correct.  I hope somebody can help you with this.  Good luck! 

• 14. Re: Intel Aero Visionary kit
                                    rohanK23

I powered down and powered up the board. However, now I get this when I try to enable the RGB stream

uvc subdevice 2 cannot provide 640x480:RGB8@1Hz COLOR

The function call I make from my application is:

rs_enable_stream( camera, RS_STREAM_COLOR, WIDTH, HEIGHT, RS_FORMAT_RGB8, 1, &e );

So I am asking for 1 frame/sec (get the same with 10 frames/sec. Is there a minimum I need to specify when I enable the stream ?

Rohan

1 2 3 Previous Next