3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 5:06 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC for spark: linux, headlessm hotspot

markteehan

Hello!

I am new to NUC's, but not linux or spark. I need a portable powerful machine for demos: Im considering a 32GB skull candy. I plan to install any linux (probably ubuntu) and I'd like to use my macbook pro to control it - so I'd like to just power it on and connect to it over wifi with no other cables. Does anyone use a NUC like this? If configuring it as a hotspot is problematic, is it possible to connect directly to it from my (3 year old) MB pro?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

thanks

Mark Teehan
      Singapore

• 1. Re: NUC for spark: linux, headlessm hotspot
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In regard to your inquiry, I just wanted to let you know that Intel tested the NUC using Windows as operating system, so all the information we have is related to that configuration.

Normally, if you are trying to turn on/off a system remotely we recommend to use the “Wake on LAN” option, the thing is that it is not for sure that it is going to work with Ubuntu, same scenario with the hotspot and with the direct connection.  So, in this case the best thing to do will be to visit the Ubuntu forums for further peer’s assistance on this subject:
          http://ubuntuforums.org/

I also encourage all the peers viewing this forum that if they have additional comments or suggestions on this matter to post all the information on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC for spark: linux, headlessm hotspot
            mystic_dreamer

I have been using my Nuc7i5bnh as my test hadoop machine and it has been working fine, with absolutely no issues. Have apache spark running inside the single node hadoop 2.7 cluster, on Ubuntu 17.04. The skull canyon would be more powerful but I also needed bigger storage so go this one. Also I find this form factor to be much more visually appealing.

• 3. Re: NUC for spark: linux, headlessm hotspot
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for sharing that information, we really appreciate that.

Regards
              Alberto R