14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 11:37 AM by Intel Corporation

Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery

Breadbin

I have the STCK1A8LFC model, running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS until recently when it stopped booting. I don't keep any user files on it, so thought using the recovery option would be quicker and easier than trying to track down how to fix the boot issues.

I chose the recovery option from the boot menu that was popping up, and it appeared to proceed. I checked on it later and found it frozen on "copying files" with the progress bar about half way and mouse cursor no longer spinning. I left it for another couple of hours but it never got any further, so I hit a hard reset.

Now it boots back into Ubuntu recovery, begins a step "Installing" and shortly after "Verifying installation configuration" where it thinks for a while. Eventually it comes up with a message box "Failed to partition the selected disk. This probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned."

Ican choose to continue but the message reappears immediately.

I thought maybe I could boot Ubuntu from a USB drive, then perhaps format the installation partition leaving the recovery partition and perhaps then it would begin the recovery process again, but I can't get a bootable USB drive created with Rufus and an Ubuntu 14.04 ISO to appear in the F10 boot menu.

I can turn on the UEFI shell option in the F2 BIOS and boot to that shell but haven't been able to find any advice via Google searches on where to go next.

Is my device bricked or is there some way back from this point?

I purchased the device recently from a local New Zealand retailer 1-day.co.nz, so possibly this state of affairs qualifies for a warranty return.

Any help or advice appreciated. I'm in no way a Linux expert but I can usually muddle my way through with patience and Google!

• 1. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
          linuxium

I don't want to preempt Intel Support's reply however you could try downloading and writing my latest ISO from  linuxium.com.au: Interim Ubuntu 17.04 ISO with mainline v4.12-rc4 kernel, RTL8723BS Wifi/BT firmware, UCM audio files an…  using Rufus (latest version) to a USB and look at the state of your partitions. I've hit the same problem as you in the past and the first time I fiddled around fixing it but the next time I just did fresh installs as Lubuntu 16.04 performs much better give the limited RAM. Almost certainly if you start self-diagnosing and try to fix it you'll loose your warranty so your options are really based on your requirements: Intel support -> RMA (assuming Intel allows) or Self support -> Try and fix vs fresh installation (but note there will be some hoops to go through given the current official Ubuntu ISOs do not fully support the STCK1A8LFC due to missing HDMI audio, wifi and bluetooth although community ISOs like mine address this).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for the comments posted above.

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Compute Stick communities.

In this case we can try to d a BIOS update to version 0035 using the F7 method:
            F7 method instructions:
            http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000006039.html
            0035 .BIO file:
            https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26540/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A-?product=86613

After doing the BIOS update, then we can try the OS recovery again. If the problem persists after that, then to replace the stick will be the next thing to do.

In order to replace the stick, as you mentioned, you can either get in contact with the place of purchase to check their warranty options or you can always get in contact directly with Intel support for Europe:
            Chat support:
            http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_ChatFor phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:
            EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards
            Alberto R

• 3. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
              Breadbin

Many thanks for the response, much appreciated.

I tried the ISO (written to USB with latest Rufus in DD mode) but no luck. If I choose "Try Ubuntu without installing" from the grub menu, I get the splash screen but then a black screen after that. Some text flashes in the top left of the screen in between the splash screen and the black screen but I'm not able to catch it.

If I choose "Install Ubuntu" then it boots to a desktop and launches Ubuntu Recovery but immediately errors with "This recovery media only functions on Ubuntu systems" and my only option is to quit and reboot.

If I can't even launch Ubuntu from a bootable USB then I might be a bit stuck.

Thanks for the tips anyway.

• 4. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                Breadbin

Hi Alberto

I already have BIOS version 0035 installed, so if you know how I can begin the recovery process over again from this point it would be a great help.

If not then I'll try to return the device to the retailer, which is a real shame as I was quite happy with it until my boot issues began the other day.

• 5. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                  linuxium

Yes, I remember 'fiddling' around fixing it but I can't remember exactly what 'fiddling' I had to do! Removing the 'quiet splash' from the GRUB boot command (use 'e' to edit the command when the menu appears and then F10 to boot once edited) will show you what is happening when booting and why it results in a black screen. If you don't want to go or can't go the RMA route then shout out and I'll try and help you fix it.

• 6. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for sharing that information.

Hi : Thank you very much for providing those details.

From our end the next thing to do will be to replace the compute stick. Additionally, the link below is in reference to the Ubuntu forums, as an option you can always visit that web site in order to try to gather further information about this matter from the peers in there:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards
                    Alberto R

• 7. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                      Breadbin

Hi linuxium

If I boot without the "quiet splash" is there some way I can grab that output? There don't seem to be any alarm bells with what appears on screen immediately before the black screen but of course it's hard to be sure, and I'm not familiar with what's "normal" in a Linux boot log anyway.

Cheers

Brett

• 8. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                        linuxium

Easiest non-technical way is to film it with your mobile phone and then freeze frame the play back at the moment immediately before it stops. That way you can see what causes the kernel panic or reason why the boot fails.

• 9. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                          Breadbin

Ah man, that was my first thought but my second thought was "that's way too non-technical to admit to in a forum post"

I'll give it a whirl later and see what I can see.

• 10. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                            Breadbin

The last few lines before the black screen are:

Stopping  System V runlevel compatibility

Stopping  Mount network filesystem

Stopping  crash report submission daemon

Starting  automatic crash report generation

Starting  bluetooth daemon

Stopping  Restore Sound Card state

Stopping  rtk_hciattach daemon for Realtek 8723bs

Starting  rtk_hciattach daemon for Realtek 8723bs

Stopping  rtk_hciattach daemon for Realtek 8723bs

Stopping  bluetooth daemon

Starting  Bridge socket events into upstart

Stopping Bridge file events into upstart

I tried disabling Bluetooth and internal wifi in the BIOS and a few of those lines at the end were skipped but the outcome was the same.

Nothing about the above says "kernel panic" to me so I wonder whether the key to the problem is earlier and somewhat hard to glean unless you know what you're looking for.

• 11. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                              linuxium

Yes, these messages that say 'stopping ...' occur after the problem which is most likely the inability to mount the existing Ubuntu partition. BTW does it boot if you replace the 'quiet splash' with 'S' in the GRUB boot command?

• 12. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                                Breadbin

The outcome with 'S' in the GRUB boot command was that it hung a little earlier in the boot process, before all the "Starting" and "Stopping" messages.

Begin: Running /scripts/nfs-bottom ... done

Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done

[  18.009110] init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (740) terminated with status 1

[  18.013252] init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process ended, respawning

[  18.034365] init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (749) terminated with status 1

[  18.038424] init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process ended, respawning

There was then a short delay followed by:

* Starting early crypto disks...

* Setting up X socket directories...

I googled the plymouth-upstart-bridge string and found a thread on the Ubuntu forums where people had issues with long delays and freezing during boot on 14.04 which sounded similar, although it wasn't clear whether the problem was with "plymouth" and resolved by disabling it

Ubuntu Forums

One recommendation was to modify the grub command to add:

in file /etc/defaults/grub

set line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noplymouth"

But this seemed to work for some but not others, and the later posts in the thread seemed to be full of supposition about buggy kernel revisions in 2015.

I'll give the above a try later today just to see if it makes a difference.

• 13. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                                  Breadbin

Thanks to linuxium and Alberto for their assistance. I tried a few grub boot options but nothing was helping. I've contacted the retailer and they've sent out an RMA. Hopefully I can get it replaced.

Cheers
                                  Brett

• 14. Re: Stuck in Ubuntu Recovery
                                    Intel Corporation

: You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing those results and hopefully they will be able to replace it for you. Otherwise you can always get in contact with Intel directly to do that.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                                    Alberto R