Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

15.45.19.4678 Doom Demo in OpenGL in Settings /Video freezes on Intel HD 530

CCris2
New Contributor II

Hello,

When trying to change video settings in DOOM Demo in the settings/video menu game freeze, also in Vulkan when compute shaders are disabled, on the screen appears purple spots.

The same thing happens with 4664 driver.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ronin,

I understand you are trying to play DOOM, but the game freezes when you change video settings.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Has the game worked fine before? Was there any software or hardware change before the issue started happening?

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Fred D. ,

With driver 4614 the game is ok. The only problem with driver 4614 is with compute shaders.

With compute shaders off here is a Doom image on Vulkan:

With compute shaders on:

Is just that when your driver developers (I don't know if you are part of the driver developer team or only part of the forum support team), add other game compatibilities or fixes they break the driver for other games, programs and even windows.

Anyway I attached the SSU report which is kinda useless, because I sent few of those and they don't say much.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi Ronin,

Thank you for your feedback.

Let me go ahead and replicate this issue with the latest drivers. Are you seeing this behavior just with the Doom Demo? How about the full game? I'm asking because I own the full game already, and I never really bothered with the Demo.

Anyway, l'l try to have results by next week.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hello Ronald,

I don't have the full game as I don't play it.

I just play the demo for fun from time to time. But now I play it for test purposes, because it is a Vulkan game, also, and not so long time ago the game was not working at all with Vulkan on igpu.

Even now on Vulkan driver if I lower the resolution shut down the game, and start it again, the game will not start, so on Vulkan is still buggy. I don't know if it's the driver or a game problem, but my guess is that is still a driver problem.

Anyway you can test it and tell me if you get the same result, of if I have some igpu problem.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Ronin,

I am currently testing Doom with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 and the same driver 15.45.4678. Note: I'll get a NUC with Intel HD Graphics 520 soon in order to do apples-to-apples comparison.

When switching to Vulkan settings and setting everything to 720p and Low quality, the game runs fine. I haven't observed any graphics issues yet.

Interesting enough, I have the game's installation files backed up (using Steam's backup feature) since quite a while ago - so I do not have to re-download the game with every uninstall/install - and I noticed that on this run, Steam downloaded an additional 29GB of additional data, which I'm assuming would be new game content and patches. According to the exe's meta-data, I have Doom version 6.1.1.1616, so I'm thinking that what you are seeing is related to the Demo being out of date.

Once I have results when testing with HD Graphics 520 I'll let you know.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Ronald,

I have 530 not 520, and in Vulkan game runs fine if you change resolution. But if you restart, game doesn't start, is just a black screen with the pointer and in task manager Application Stopped Responding. Also the graphic issues on Vulkan are in post 3 in this thread.and only if you disable compute shaders in game.

And don't tell me that in all that Intel department there is not a CPU with HD 530. Everyone is testing things on completely different igpu then the one what I report. Luckily most of the problems I reported so far were on most igpus.

I am waiting for the result then.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello again Ronin,

I apologize, I wrote down 520 and you clearly indicated it was HD Graphics 530, my bad!

I am now testing with HD Graphics 530 and driver 4678. So far I haven't seen the issues you described, but I'll continue testing. The steps I'm following are described as below:

1. Doom configured on Vulkan.

2. Disable Compute Shaders.

Result: Graphics rendered correctly

3. Enable Compute Shaders.

Result: Graphics rendered correctly

As for the bug on switching resolutions, restarting the game and checking if it works, I tested this scenario in both Vulkan and OpenGL. I prepared some videos so you can check, and please let me know if I am missing any step/detail.

HD Graphics 530 + Vulkan with compute shaders off/on

https://youtu.be/FIOuuiANGSU https://youtu.be/FIOuuiANGSU

HD Graphics 530 + Vulkan and changing resolutions

https://youtu.be/JF9k7_PO14E https://youtu.be/JF9k7_PO14E

HD Graphics 530 + OGL and changing resolutions

https://youtu.be/NyqpBJgLhNI https://youtu.be/NyqpBJgLhNI

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'm downloading the demo in order to compare its behavior against the driver. I'm hoping to have more info soon.

Thank you very much for your all your feedback.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for your time for testing and making those videos.

I managed to test the full version of the game and it seems that the Compute Shaders and Vulkan not starting at lower resolution are indeed demo game problems.

The only problem remaining is the freezing.

I tested on windows 10 also and the game works fine. On windows 8.1 game is freezing and after a while I get message that the driver stopped responding.

As I told you for windows 8.1 the only driver that works is 4614.

Also I want to tell you that any driver in windows 8.1 does not run as smoothly, in general, as in windows 10. It runs with hiccups and lags. I don't know if this is because of how much better windows 10 is or because of driver optimized for windows 10 and the other versions are left apart, but I wanted to tell you.

I saw in windows 10 that there is a new driver 4691. I will test it in windows 8.1 and tell you the result.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Well it seems that the driver is only for windows 10, so no testing for now.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Unfortunately I already run in the same problem with 4678 driver, in IE11... So driver unusable for windows 8.1. I don't have windows 7 installed but I think that it has the same problem.

So going back to 4614.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Ronald,

I think I found a possible problem. I tried this program https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/ MemTest64 - Memory Stability Tester in windows 8.1.

It seems that it can write in the memory assigned to the igpu and then it happens all kind of strange video artifacts and even freeze. If windows can swap parts of the memory I think it can swap assigned video memory also and that's not good ...

Isn't there a way to force video memory to be locked and not allow unlocking it(?), because there is no way I can assign from mainboard 4 or 8GB to igpu like the driver does. Asmedia sata drivers interfere also with the video memory and I can't even install them because of that.

If those programs can do that it means that all programs can including games, in windows 8.1 at least.

Even if I assign dedicated memory from bios to 1GB, in windows it shows that it has less RAM memory, but when I look in the igpu details it always shows 128MB dedicated video memory and shared 3840 ...

I didn't test in windows 10, and I don't like windows 10 because it has some bugs that microsoft doesn't bother to fix, they are more concerned to make new buggy things.

I would buy a dedicated video card, but I wait for Vega tests and benchmarks, then I will decide what to buy, but till then I have to struggle a bit more with the igpu.

Anyway I reported this and I hope It will be a solution to it.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Ronin,

Thank you for reporting this. Let me look at this situation here and I'll reply once I have more information.

Have a nice day too

0 Kudos