Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

3945 adapter turns off by self!

ttest142
Beginner

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:12.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Dear Intel,

I have been using the Intel 3945 Network Connection Program and lately it has begun dropping my connection, at least 3 times/day. It appears as though the wireless adapter turned off and I am unable to turn it back on through clicking on the "turn on wireless" . The only thing I can do is either restart my laptop, or go to "Device Manager" and "Disable" the network adapter, then "Enable" it again. I've tried to reinstall the program multiple times to no avail. please help!

Thanks,

Tim Wang

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

what driver version and OS?

0 Kudos
ttest142
Beginner

When I go to "about" in the "advanced statistics program, it says intel proset/wireless wifi software 12.4.4.0

Device Manager says 12.4.4.5 from 10/26/2009

I'm running Windows Vista Professoinal on Lenovo x61

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

A fix will be introduced for this issue in the near future.

0 Kudos
ttest142
Beginner

thank you, please release it soon! I feel as though i spend more time resetting my network adaptor than actually getting work done, and it is extremely frustrating. thanks so much!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

check a new driver at Intel support in the coming few days.

0 Kudos
ttest142
Beginner

All I see recently is the driver update for Linux. Is there something else I'm missing?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel wireless team is aware of this issue and we are working on a fix asap. In the mean time, there's a work around that might help. What OS are you running?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I too am having this very frustrating and annoying problem. My OS is XP SP3. Hopefully the workaround (or fix) is available for XP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any updates on this? Still looking for a workaround or resolution. Any additional information would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Can someone from the Intel wireless team post an update on this? I am still having this issue, and would prefer to use a workaround (or better yet get a fix) instead of rolling back to the previous driver. I suppose that is the best option for now though, since at least that driver worked fine for me and did not continually drop my connection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When the issue happened, was your laptop connected to AC or running on battery? After the adapter turns off as you said, what do you usually do to get it back on?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It has happened both when running on battery power and when connected to AC. The most annoying thing about it was that it is completely random -- sometimes it would happen within minutes, while other times it would be fine for an hour or so and then drop the connection. As Tim Wang originally posted, the only options I had to fix it were to either disable and re-enable it through device manager, or to restart my notebook. I got so frustrated with it and waiting for the "asap fix" that I removed the new version and re-installed the old driver. That one works just fine and never drops my connection.

0 Kudos
ttest142
Beginner

how can I download the old driver? dealing with this is unbearable

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My notebook is a Dell Latitude D630, so I went to their support site http://tinyurl.com/yjw4cf4 http://tinyurl.com/yjw4cf4 and looked up the Intel wireless networking drivers for it. They provide a link from there to the older versions of the driver. So I downloaded the previous version, uninstalled the current version, re-booted, and then installed the older version. Here's the link to Dell's website for the version that I downloaded and installed: http://tinyurl.com/2e8dy46 http://tinyurl.com/2e8dy46

The Dell site shows it as version 12.1.0.14, A08-1, but when I select Help... About from the Wireless connection utility window, it shows as version 12.4.3.0

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you are running XP, go to device manager and 3945 adapter properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Select Power Management and move the slider to "Highest". Click Ok. Hope this will solve your issue temporality.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any updates on this? I am also suffering with the same problem; XP SP3 on Thinkpad T60.

0 Kudos