2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 1:40 PM by Intel Corporation

Clarification on Joule's USB3/USB2 ports and available bandwidth

Russ^

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure what USB ports are available on the Joule fully.

The expansion board in the development kit exposes a full size USB3, a USB TypeC and a Micro USB.

However, some of the documentation suggests some of these ports are shared.

Is the Type C port the full 5gb/sec bandwidth on a separate USB3 controller to the other 2 ports?

And is the micro USB port the full speed 480mbps USB2?

I would like to be able to use all 3 ports simultaneously - meaning a combined total 10gb/sec from the two USB3 ports and 480mb/sec from the micro USB2 port. Is this possible?

Also, regarding the PCIE lane, the documentation says if that's enabled, you lose USB3, but if there are 2 USB3 ports does that mean you still have 1 USB3 port? Or does it disable all USB3 connectivity?

Thanks

Russell

• 1. Re: Clarification on Joule's USB3/USB2 ports and available bandwidth
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Russ ^,

Thank you for contacting us. We’ll try and help clear any doubts about the USB ports on the Joule.

The first I’d recommend you to see is the Joule’s Expansion Board Schematic https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-joule-expansion-board-schematic . Here you can see the connections of the USB ports and the chips used to control each one. It doesn’t appear like they’re sharing a controller as you mention, so you should be able to use them at the same time. What can’t be used at the same time are the USB3 and the PCIe port. The PCIe lanes on the Joule use the same pins as the USB3.0 port, so you can have one or the other, but not both at the same time. If the PCIe is enabled, you’d still have another USB3 port enabled, since only one USB port is muxed with the PCIe.
          In regards to the bandwidth performance, both USB-C and USB-A can be used simultaneously for host devices, and each will operate at the USB 3.1 Gen 1 speeds (5 Gb/s).

I hope this answers your questions. Let us know if there’s anything else we can assist you with.

Regards,
          -Sergio A

• 2. Re: Clarification on Joule's USB3/USB2 ports and available bandwidth
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Russ ^,

We were wondering if you still need assistance with this case. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

Regards,
            -Sergio A