1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 8:38 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed

BGH

On upgrading from W7 to W10 the remote access Power Up of all NUCs no longer works - regardless of BIOS being most current under W10 or the BIOS settings.

This is a serious failure as i need to be able to cycle On / Off remote systems due to Weather or other business needs.

• 1. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello BGH,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing with these units.

What is your NUC model?

What is the software that you are using to access the units remotely, would you please be more specific on that to have a better understanding of the problem?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Please let me know this information to better assist you.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 2. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
            BGH

They ALL now fail to power up via remote access.

NUC54250, NUC6I5SYH, etc.

A week ago, under W7, they ALL would power ON via remote access.

I've tried many BIOS setting configs.

I reran the Intel driver check software (after install of W10) which some drivers (on different models of NUCs) were needed (mostly the NIC driver).

• 3. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information; you’re not mentioning what graphics driver version you have so let’s try updating the graphics driver on the NUC6I5SYH, you can download it here:
              Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

The latest graphics driver for the
              Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH can be located here:
              Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 4. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                BGH

This is Charles Sterling - tech for BGH.

PLEASE LISTEN.

ALL NUCs, regardless of model - ALL with upgraded BIOS and drivers - per use of Your Driver Update Tool are ALL up to date.

ALL NUCs fail to wake up now that W10 has been installed.

All NUCs worked well when under W7.

Is there ANY motherboard setting that allows W10 to WAKE the NUCs (regardless of the 4 different versions installed) once Powered OFF.

Feel free to call me.

832-607-9019

• 5. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                  BGH

More to the process.

We ran W7 for years and I managed the computers via remote access w/o issue.

Due to Weather conditions, and other, I'd shut DOWN the NUCs (all models - all current drivers) and ALWAYS have been able to power them Up when running W7.

Now that on W10 i can no longer power them UP - regardless of experimenting with motherboard settings nor on which model motherboard - did i mention all up to date per your Driver Utility Tool.

Your driver utility tool frequently flags the Graphics driver as needing to be updated - it displays a **** style of Current Driver and a proper driver version number for the Current Driver. I MANUALLY install the latest driver and still have the same issue on ALL models of the NUCs.

832-607-9019

• 6. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                    N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, the Intel Driver Update Utility (IDUU) is chock full of bugs and operational issues - so bad that Intel is working on a from-scratch replacement for it. Until this replacement is available, it is recommended that you manually download and install all (not just graphics) drivers separately.

Secondly, do not presume that settings in Windows 7 and drivers are consistent. You need to ensure that the BIOS, Windows (Power Options) and the Ethernet Driver are all properly configured for WOL from S5.

Thirdly, do not presume that just attempting to remotely access a PC will result in it waking up. You need to send a magic packet in order for this to happen.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 7. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                      BGH

Great feedback.

I'll manually verify the Drivers / BIOS and hope for a replacement Tool to arrive soon.

Regarding the previous condition - the several dozen systems, multiple NUC motherboards ALL were easily awakened from Power OFF state w/o issue.

Agreed that all motherboards are not the same and a presumption of operation is incorrect - in this case - no presumption as factual operation under W7 did exist.

I'm good to close this process and move to Manual updates across all NUCs and to re-evaluate.

charles sterling

• 8. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Let us know the results of your reevaluation. Pick a system and, after updating all drivers manually and setting the WOL settings in the Power Options CPL applet and in Ethernet driver properties, see if you can wake it up then...

...S

• 9. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                          BGH

On the 3 model NUC motherboards a manual selection of the current BIOS was made and installed per each motherboard. Each was reset to BIOS default and restarted after that initial boot process completed.

NONE allow for remote Power ON.

Am now thinking that the changes to W8 / W10 may REQUIRE the Sleep functions to be set ON within the OS which are normally turned OFF so that data does not get tangled in issues with Hyper state conditions.

Going to take 3 more (already tried this on 4 other systems) and make these changes to see if any different results occur in this method.

Thus far - no success getting NUC's to Power ON via W10. (still)

charles sterling

• 10. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                            N.Scott.Pearson

How are you attempting to power them on? Are you sending magic packet?

• 11. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                              BGH

Same remote access method as with W7.

i have been using Bomgar since late 2016 - no issues powering ON prior to W10.

Have not explored adding a WOL program as yet but that's what i'll try shortly.

Open to suggestions.

charles sterling

• 12. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                                Intel Corporation

Hello BGH,

Do you have Wake on Magic Packet enabled?

1. Go to Device Manager.
                                2. Expand the Network Adapters section.
                                3. Right-click the adapter in use and click Properties.
                                4. Click Advanced tab.
                                5. Select Wake on Magic Packet from the Property list.
                                6. Expand the Value section and select Enabled.
                                7. Click Power Management tab.
                                8. Select the check box for Allow this device to wake the computer.
                                9. Click OK.

If fast boot is enabled in Windows, try disabling it (in windows, not the BIOS option), I have seen cases where disabling fast boot solves the issue. Please check the following link:
                                https://za.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37059/p/5591
                                NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.
                                • 13. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 14. Re: w10 power ON fails ALL NUCs installed
                                    BGH

NO, still an issue.

I've tried 4 different WOL programs and none will wake the NUC's.

I've ensured that the BIOS and Intel drivers are current.

I've tried various settings - all fail.

Issue boils down to Intel BIOS is not compatible with changes that MS made (W8 / W10) or to any obvious 3rd party WOL (wake on Lan) software.

Do you have reference to a 3rd party WOL program that could be installed that is PROVEN to wake Intel NUC's from Power OFF state?

This MUST work with W10.

charles sterling

1 2 Previous Next