Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel Realsense SR300 via Ethernet

TFrit2
Beginner

Dear all,

in a study project I'm using an Intel Realsense SR300 camera in an robot application in which the camera is placed on the flange of a robot. The camera is looking for an object for picking.

My problem is, that there is only an ethernet port at the flange available and I want to use a laptop for image processing. The ethernet inside the arm only should be an extender cable. Is it possible to use the camera with an ethernet port?

I found the adapter https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/Network-Controller/DELOCK-62417/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=132261&GROUPID=5822&artnr=DELOCK+62417&SEARCH=adapter%2Busb%2B3.0%2Bethernet DELOCK 62417: USB 3.0 LAN 10 - 100 - 1000 Mbit - s adapter at reichelt elektronik in the web and I hoped that will work.

Does anybody have some experiences?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Timo Fritz

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

RealSense is very sensitive to the state of the USB port. It doesn't even like USB extension cables longer than 1 m unless they are very high quality, and even with a high-grade cable the maximum tends to be 2m. I cannot absolutely rule out the possibility of it working, but there is a much bigger chance that it won't work. The rule that I apply in these situations is to give it a try only if you can afford to write off the cost of the adapter if the experiment does not work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

RealSense is very sensitive to the state of the USB port. It doesn't even like USB extension cables longer than 1 m unless they are very high quality, and even with a high-grade cable the maximum tends to be 2m. I cannot absolutely rule out the possibility of it working, but there is a much bigger chance that it won't work. The rule that I apply in these situations is to give it a try only if you can afford to write off the cost of the adapter if the experiment does not work.

0 Kudos
TFrit2
Beginner

Thanks for your response!

0 Kudos