Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7 7700k 90 ºC on startup

idata
Employee

i have a i7 7700k (at stock 4.2ghz) installed on a asus strix z270e, its relatively new build. its been working just fine for the last two months (cpu temps around 36 ºC). but yesterday when I turned on the pc the temperatures of the CPU started increasing very fast up to 90 ºC. the wc corsair h100 was working in auto at 1300 rpm but still the temperature was constantly high. i updated the bios and disabled xmp but nothing changed. when the pc is turned on for a few minutes just in the bios I cant start windows because "CPU overtemperature error" pops up. so what should I do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ivan7700k,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Have you tried replacing the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005576.html thermal interface material (TIM) between the heatsink and processor?

Have you checked if the push pin are in the correct position and is the cooler securely attached to the socket/motherboard?

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think the pump might be dead. When the cpu load is very low ( under 10%) the temperatures are still high. I will get the water cooler replaced and hopefully that will solve the isue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the information and that is possibly the problem since the CPU overheats too fast.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos