1 Reply Latest reply on May 30, 2017 3:48 PM by Intel Corporation

Interfaces file for Ifup and Ifdown

MelanieS

So I was able to use "ifup wlan0" to get connected to my router's IP, but was unable to ping google.com. Was able to ping 8.8.8.8, so I treated that as a DNS error and tried to edit my interfaces file

Now when I try to run "ifup wlan0" or "ifdown wlan0", I get an error saying ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

Seems like I somehow messed up that file but I don't know what's wrong with it

30H[ Can now UnJustify! ]File: /etc/network/interaces                         

# interfaces(5) file ued by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

auto lo iface lo inet loopback

auto usb0 iface usb0 inet static

address 192.168.2.15

netmask 255.255.255.0

auto wlan0 iface wlan0 inet dhcp wpa-conf

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

# For WPA wpa-ssid Emutex wpa-psk passphrase For WEP wireless-essid

#Emutex wireless-mode Managed wireless-key s:password

# And the following 4 lines are for when using hostapd... auto wlan0

#iface wlan0 inet static

#    address 192.168.42.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

• 1. Re: Interfaces file for Ifup and Ifdown
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for reaching out.

The Intel Edison uses connman and wpa_cli to control network services, both of these are capable of managing Wi-Fi connections. Also, the Edison image includes a script that will scan for available networks and ask you which network you want to connect to, you just have to enter this command: configure_edison –wifi to run it. Please take a look at this site for more details: Connecting your Intel Edison board using Wi-Fi*. Also, I’m using the latest Edison image and the Interfaces file does not exist and you should create it, so I’d highly recommend you to connect to your Wi-Fi network using the configure_edison script.  

Additionally, you can check the Intel Edison Wi-Fi Guide document for more details regarding connman and wpa_cli interfaces.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.