6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 5:30 PM by Intel Corporation

Cannot run Microcontroller (MCU) SDK, crashes on start, any hints?

kbociurko

I tried to develop some software on the Quark inside the Edison module, but cannot start the IDE. I have unpacked and installed the supplied cygwin version and the JRE.

When I try to run mcusdk.exe, I get a launcher that has a broken message and the button launch that turns off the launcher and doesn't launch anything. If you look closely in the broken message, it's related to bash subsystem on windows.

2017-05-29 18_22_58-MCU SDK Launcher.png

There is a mcusdk/cygwin64/eclipse.exe that I can run, but when I try a new MCU project, I get:

2017-05-29 18_59_37-C_C++ - Eclipse.png

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, still on anniversary update (java JRE and cygwin are also 64 bit). I am also using another cygwin installation, so maybe there is some clash? I had the MCU-SDK run a few months before, but removed it since then. Maybe some registry setting is still there?

Downloaded the most recent version (edison-mcusdk-win64-1.0.10.zip md5: 3c309897fc51fb9d7e91efb77dec753b)

Any idea why this does not work? Where can I find logs of this launcher application, if there are any?

This IDE is an old one and maybe it has been superseded by another toolkit. If there is another tool for quark development, please point me to that.

• 1. Re: Cannot run Microcontroller (MCU) SDK, crashes on start, any hints?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Kbociurko,

Thank you for getting in contact.
          I’m now trying the steps myself and haven’t found any issue yet, I will update once I’m finished. However, I would suggest you to delete your current edison-mcusdk-win64-1.0.10 folder and download it again, make sure to uninstall any previous version of the program or its dependencies.
          If the above doesn’t work, I would suggest you to try installing it in a different computer, just to determine if the issue has to do with the installation package or the computer.

Regards,
          Pablo M.

• 2. Re: Cannot run Microcontroller (MCU) SDK, crashes on start, any hints?
            kbociurko

Hello Pablo,

I have already reinstalled the package on the same machine in a different folder, the same issue persists. Did not yet try on another machine, none available at the moment.

And about uninstalling, the only thing that has an uninstaller (in contrast to just removing the folder) is the JRE.

Will try the 32 bit version, maybe that will work?

• 3. Re: Cannot run Microcontroller (MCU) SDK, crashes on start, any hints?
              kbociurko

Regarding a related question Create MCU new project failed, I do have JRE_HOME set up correctly.

Java is 64 bit:

C:\Users\chanibal>%JRE_HOME%\bin\java -d64 -version

java version "1.8.0_121"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

The path where I installed is D:\Soft\Intel\mcusdk\, no spaces or other weird characters.

• 4. Re: Cannot run Microcontroller (MCU) SDK, crashes on start, any hints?
                Intel Corporation

Hi kbociurko,

I just finished installing the software on a Windows 10 – 64bit computer without any issue. Take a look at the mcusdk.exe screenshot:

That’s why I would like you to try it in another computer, but I understand if there’s none available at the moment. What I find strange is that your current issue with the launcher doesn’t seem related to the Cygwin or JRE installation (which you already told me were properly installed), I’m thinking that the file might be corrupted.
                When you mention that you are using another Cygwin installation, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean the installation from some months ago?

Regards,
                Pablo M.

• 5. Re: Cannot run Microcontroller (MCU) SDK, crashes on start, any hints?
                  kbociurko

After reinstalling everything I could (JRE, MCUSDK, bundled cygwin, main system install cygwin), I found that the 64 bit still doesn't work,

The 32 bit one does, though. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the 64 bit JRE, so I have to keep both and switch between them.

I have been able to build software to the quark part of the edison, so I guess this works. No idea why 64 bit fails this way.

Also, what is the relation between MCUSDK and Intel® System Studio for Microcontrollers? Is one superseeding another, or are they non related? They both seem to support quark and atom portions of the Edison.

• 6. Re: Cannot run Microcontroller (MCU) SDK, crashes on start, any hints?
                    Intel Corporation

Hi kbociurko,

I apologize for the late reply, I just overlooked it by mistake.
                    Regarding your last question, you’re right, they are non-related to each other (even if they do similar things). The MCUSDK is specifically developed to use with Edison’s microcontroller, while Intel System Studio for Microcontrollers is intended to be used with systems built around other series of Quark microcontrollers.

Kind regards,
                    Pablo M.