1 Reply Latest reply on May 29, 2017 4:45 AM by MichelleC_Intel

Programming and debugging options for the D2000

DigitalOcean

If I make a new board with the D2000 on it what are the options to program it in production.

1. I suppose I need to give a header on the board for JTAG pins of the D2000.

2. Then do I also need to provide a FTDI chip like the D2000 CRB? But in production to add another chip to the design would not be advisable. I could do that for the prototype version though.

3. How do I debug the board, is an external debugger cable needed? I have seen on this forum that few people have linked up the CRB to their board and used the CRB as a programmer / debugger.

So could you recommend some options based on the above?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Programming and debugging options for the D2000
          MichelleC_Intel

Hi

1. Including a JTAG header is advisable

2. No you not need the FTDI chip...even on the CRB you have the option to bypass the the FDTI using a debugger -  Olimex and Flyswatter2 configuration files are provided.

3. To debug you will need either the Olimex or Flyswatter2 debugger and related cables.

Alternatively it is possible to use the D2000 CRB to Flash/Debug :

This is the procedure that needs to be followed ...

a.Remove all sleeves from jumpers J9,J10,J11,J15. J17 on the D2000 CRB

b.Power on your board

c.Make a 1:1 connection from pins on the D2000 (Pin's 2,2,2,1,1 on J9,J10,J11,J15. J17) to your board.

b.Connect the CRB as normal and flash using ISSM (Choose USB-Onboard as the connection Type)

In addition to the JTAG flashing you also have the option of using DFU over UART on the D2000 - see this doc of details - http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/software-interface-bootloader-user-guide.pdf

Details on how to use this utility in the latest version of ISSM are available here (the DFU utilities for UART are included in the installation so no further download is required) - Intel® QMSI Firmware Manager | Intel® Software

Note that this option is available for the Firmware Application only -- not the Bootloader(ROM).

-Michelle.