1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 2:33 PM by Intel Corporation

Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)

emr_iot

I am getting the following errors trying to upload a sketch to the Galileo Gen2 (gg2):

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

I have tested uploading of a sketch with my Arduino Uno and that works just fine, so it's not a serial port setting.

I dd'ed an image of Yocto onto a microsd card, and gg2 boots and gets on the network just fine. I can SSH in with no problems and poke around the system. The serial port, however, is still inaccessible.

However, when I remove the SD card and start up the board, I see the serial port which gets setup correctly, but I cannot upload anything. It times out as noted above.

• 1. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
          FGT

emr_iot wrote:

I am getting the following errors trying to upload a sketch to the Galileo Gen2 (gg2):

I have tested uploading of a sketch with my Arduino Uno and that works just fine, so it's not a serial port setting.

I dd'ed an image of Yocto onto a microsd card, and gg2 boots and gets on the network just fine. I can SSH in with no problems and poke around the system. The serial port, however, is still inaccessible.

However, when I remove the SD card and start up the board, I see the serial port which gets setup correctly, but I cannot upload anything. It times out as noted above.

Did you set Intel Galileo in the "Tools" ==> "Board" menu?

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
            emr_iot

I have the arduino uno set, I try to install intel galileo and I get errors as such

Warning: file /home/erecio/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/usr/src/debug/libgcc/4.7.2-r20/build/libgcc/md-unwind-support.h links to an absolute path /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_1.0.5-Toolchain-Linux64/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.7.2-r20/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/config/i386/linux-unwind.h

Setting it up.../tmp/tmp.yANdb1UMrl/relocate_sdk.sh /home/erecio/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/relocate_sdk.sh

SDK could not be set up. Relocate script failed. Abort!

find: invalid mode ‘+111’

It shows up on the menu, but when I select it:

Build options changed, rebuilding all

fork/exec /home/erecio/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-g++: no such file or directory

Error compiling for board Intel® Galileo Gen2.

I tried changing py script from env python to env python2 and that didn't help, it seems to overwrite the relocate py script each time I try to reinstall.

• 3. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
              FGT

emr_iot wrote:

I have the arduino uno set, I try to install intel galileo and I get errors as such

Warning: file /home/erecio/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/usr/src/debug/libgcc/4.7.2-r20/build/libgcc/md-unwind-support.h links to an absolute path /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_1.0.5-Toolchain-Linux64/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.7.2-r20/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/config/i386/linux-unwind.h

Setting it up.../tmp/tmp.yANdb1UMrl/relocate_sdk.sh /home/erecio/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/relocate_sdk.sh

It shows up on the menu, but when I select it:

fork/exec /home/erecio/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-g++: no such file or directory

I tried changing py script from env python to env python2 and that didn't help, it seems to overwrite the relocate py script each time I try to reinstall.

Did you install the Intel Galileo card? (You can follow the step by step guide starting either at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software or at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software  - depending on your OS- in case you did not, )

Did you install the Intel Galileo driver?

About

emr_iot wrote:

I have the arduino uno set,

you will only get errors trying to upload in the Intel Galileo with this setting.

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                emr_iot

Like I said in my original post, the microsd card boots up just fine. It's the serial port upload of the arduino sketch that doesn't work (either with or without a microsd card).

• 5. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                  FGT

emr_iot wrote:

Like I said in my original post, the microsd card boots up just fine. It's the serial port upload of the arduino sketch that doesn't work (either with or without a microsd card).

How do you know it? Do you have an open serial terminal to check? would you please send the screenshot of the start up (specifically the grub options shown with and without the SD card at start up time)?

Just to confirm about my previous questions: did you follow the installation procedure? I'd like you to answer about it because the Intel Galileo will boot up fine in either case, i.e the Intel Galileo boots up regardless whether you followed the installation steps or not..

Besides: take into account that Intel Galileo installation in the Arduino IDE is not related to anything in the Intel Galileo regarding the setting the option in the Arduino IDE is reported failing in your case. Also, the Intel Galileo instalation in the Arduino IDE is part of the guide I'm asking you about.

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                    emr_iot

Thanks for the reply and additional information. Perhaps I am mistaken in what you say; my problem is not with the microsd card booting gg2. My problem is that the serial port doesn't work for uploading sketches from the arduino SDK even if I select or attempt to select Galileo Gen 2.

Directly in response to your questions, yes, I have followed the steps in the link that you gave. I have successfully booted from the microsd card with these settings. I have successfully logged into the box via ssh.

Problem: I cannot upload a sketch via the USB cable

Problem: when I attempt to install via "Board Manager" the Galileo Gen 2 (gg2) board the get the errors previously noted. Apparently, after googling, I noticed that I was not the only person. However, I have not been able to find a solution to this two year old problem.

For example, when it installs the links, they are broken, pointing to a /jenkins-builder or pointing to some other directory.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 erecio erecio 143 Mar 23  2015 ./i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/usr/src/debug/libgcc/4.7.2-r20/build/libgcc/enable-execute-stack.c -> /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_1.0.5-Toolchain-Linux64/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.7.2-r20/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/enable-execute-stack-empty.c

• 7. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                      emr_iot

for more information: "How do you know it? Do you have an open serial terminal to check? would you please send the screenshot of the start up (specifically the grub options shown with and without the SD card at start up time)?"

Serial port is not working at all. Either with or without microsd card. Only access is with microsd and ssh. The grub settings are as placed by "iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606" image, unaltered and dd'ed to the microsd.

• 8. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                        FGT

Hmmm... I'll try to explain a little bit better (keep asking anyway, maybe I'm not clear enough...):

a) When I asked

Did you install the Intel Galileo card? (You can follow the step by step guide starting either at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software or at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software  - depending on your OS- in case you did not, )

I was asking about the complete installation guide (that's why I wrote "starting at..."), please take into account that following that guide you'd reach the point in which you have to install the Intel Galileo and Intel Galileo Gen2 cards in the Arduino IDE (not a sketch in the Intel Galileo itself), specifically explained at IoT - Installing the Arduino* IDE | Intel® Software

Did you completed the guide (and the Intel Galileo cards in the Arduino IDE in particular) without any trouble?

Also, take into account that as part of the step by step guide you will need to upgrade the Intel Galileo firmware, which is not possible if you do not have a working USB cable.

b) There are two serial connections:

1) The one you need to upgrade the Intel Galileo firmware (as explained in the step-by-step guide), which is a USB-micro USB cable.

2) The FTDI cable, as shown in the step 2 of the guide

If you need further explanation about the step by step guide, just let me know, including the OS you are using.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 9. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                          Intel Corporation
                          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi emr_iot,

We’re wondering if you had a chance to look at @FGT’s suggestion. If you still need assistance with this case, feel free to reply to FGTs last reply.
                          We’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
                          -Sergio A

• 10. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                            emr_iot

Sergio,

Thanks for following up. I haven't had a chance yet since I have been busy with work. I shall attempt either the next couple of evenings or definitely this weekend.

-Emilio

• 11. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                              Intel Corporation

Keep us updated on your tests. We’ll be waiting for your reply. 

-Sergio A

• 12. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                                Intel Corporation

Hi emr_iot,

Do you have any updates? What were the results of your tests?

-Sergio A

• 13. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                                  emr_iot

*** Thanks for the help and your interest hopefully this will be more details. I am running on OpenSuSE Tumbleweed. I checked my python version and it's running python3 by default. There was a bug back in the day between py2 and py3 that was already fixed in the shell script. Please note that this text file answer's your part "a)" question. ***

* Nmap scan report for galileo.example.org (10.171.4.10)

Host is up (0.0013s latency).

MAC Address: 98:4F:FF:FF:FF:FF (Intel Corporate)

* Above MAC is obscured.

user@host:~> ssh root@galileo.example.org

X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0

root@galileo:~# cat /etc/version

root@galileo:~# cat /etc/os-release

ID=iot-devkit

NAME=iot-devkit (Intel IoT Development Kit)

VERSION=3.5 (tarsier)

VERSION_ID=3.5

PRETTY_NAME=iot-devkit (Intel IoT Development Kit) 3.5 (tarsier)

* Download step for Linux:

user@host:~> ls -ld /opt/arduino*

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root     13 May 27 16:05 /opt/arduino -> arduino-1.8.2

drwxr-xr-x 11 user user 4096 Jul 26  2016 /opt/arduino-1.6.10

drwxr-xr-x 10 user user 4096 Mar 22 08:35 /opt/arduino-1.8.2

* Downloaded latest for Linux 64Bit (1.8.3):

user@host:~/Downloads> tar -xf arduino-1.8.3-linux64.tar.xz

user@host:~/Downloads> sudo mv arduino-1.8.3 /opt/

[sudo] password for user:

user@host:~/Downloads> cd /opt/

user@host:/opt> sudo ln -snf /opt/arduino-1.8.3/ arduino

user@host:/opt> ls -ltrd arduino*

drwxr-xr-x 11 user user 4096 Jul 26  2016 arduino-1.6.10

drwxr-xr-x 10 user user 4096 Mar 22 08:35 arduino-1.8.2

drwxr-xr-x 10 user user 4096 May 31 12:58 arduino-1.8.3

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root     19 Jun  6 21:29 arduino -> /opt/arduino-1.8.3/

* Serial Device registered:

user@host:/opt> ls -ld /dev/ttyACM0

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Jun  6 21:33 /dev/ttyACM0

* dmesg out for new char / serial device ttyACM0:

1031396.530129] usb 1-6: new high-speed USB device number 25 using xhci_hcd

[1031396.671250] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=8086, idProduct=dead

[1031396.671254] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=0

[1031396.671257] usb 1-6: Product: Composite Gadget (ACM + MS)

[1031396.671259] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: Linux 3.8.7-yocto-standard with pch_udc

[1031396.679972] cdc_acm 1-6:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

* dmesg out for new USB block device registered on /dev/sdb:

1031396.680801] usb-storage 1-6:1.2: USB Mass Storage device detected

[1031396.685183] scsi host6: usb-storage 1-6:1.2

[1031397.714838] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Linux    File-CD Gadget   0308 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

[1031397.715089] sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0

[1031397.715914] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 104448 512-byte logical blocks: (53.5 MB/51.0 MiB)

[1031397.823205] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off

[1031397.823207] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0f 00 00 00

[1031397.933247] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

[1031398.155632]  sdb:

[1031398.373394] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

* starting up arduino (as root just to check everything out, minimize moving pieces)

user@host:~> ls -ld /opt/arduino

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jun  6 21:29 /opt/arduino -> /opt/arduino-1.8.3/

user@host:~> ls -ld /opt/arduino/arduino

-rwxr-xr-x 1 user user 946 May 31 12:58 /opt/arduino/arduino

user@host:~> sudo /opt/arduino/arduino

* I have attached a screenshot of the arduino sketch board from june06a and the menu selection

* I cannot printscreen the menu selection, but I have selected the port to ttyACM0.

* I went to "Boards -> Board Manager..."

* I entered "gal" in the search box

* I selected the only option (as shown in the screenshot) fur an install of latest 1.6.7+1.0

* I get the following errors in the console window of Arduino software (see screenshot as well) Notice that it downloads 1.6.2??

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/etc/ld.so.cache links to an absolute path /etc/ld.so.cache

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/ranlib links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-ranlib

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/nm links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-nm

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/strip links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-strip

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/cpp links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-cpp

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/ar links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-ar

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/objcopy links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-objcopy

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/gcc links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-gcc

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/objdump links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-objdump

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/ld links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-ld

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/gcc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/4.7.2/as links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-as

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/opkg links to an absolute path /opt/clanton-tiny/1.4.4/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/opkg-cl

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/usr/src/debug/libgcc/4.7.2-r20/build/libgcc/gthr-default.h links to an absolute path /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_1.0.5-Toolchain-Linux64/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.7.2-r20/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/gthr-posix.h

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/usr/src/debug/libgcc/4.7.2-r20/build/libgcc/unwind.h links to an absolute path /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_1.0.5-Toolchain-Linux64/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.7.2-r20/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/unwind-generic.h

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/usr/src/debug/libgcc/4.7.2-r20/build/libgcc/enable-execute-stack.c links to an absolute path /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_1.0.5-Toolchain-Linux64/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.7.2-r20/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/enable-execute-stack-empty.c

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/usr/src/debug/libgcc/4.7.2-r20/build/libgcc/md-unwind-support.h links to an absolute path /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_1.0.5-Toolchain-Linux64/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/gcc-4.7.2-r20/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/config/i386/linux-unwind.h

Setting it up.../tmp/tmp.DBjjfS7S2N/relocate_sdk.sh /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/relocate_sdk.sh

* I attempt to upload the sketch (see screenshot, fails with timeout)

Sketch uses 1744 bytes (5%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.

Global variables use 13 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2035 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

** ... etc ...

* I select galileo gen 2 as a board from "Board Manager..." instead of the UNO and it says the following

fork/exec /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/sysroots/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/i586-poky-linux-uclibc-g++: no such file or directory

* Everything works OK with the UNO and the same sketch with same cable. The port is ttyACM1 in that case when both are plugged in.

* I have tried this in two computers with same cable, same sketch and same OS (Tumbleweed)

Recommend: install Tumbleweed in VirtualBox and try the same, or find some hardware and install same OS there.

Screenshot_20170606_215001.pngScreenshot_20170606_215427.pngScreenshot_20170606_215607.pngScreenshot_20170606_215717.pngScreenshot_20170606_220803.pngScreenshot_20170606_220803.pngScreenshot_20170606_220828.png

• 14. Re: Serial port not responding (programmer is not responding)
                                    FGT

Hi emr_iot,

I wonder why you did not follow the step-by-step guide as described at

IoT - Installing the Arduino* IDE | Intel® Software

section "Install Arduino* (Linux*)", but it seems to be good enough... at least the error seems to be related to the Board Manager installation step:

emr_iot wrote:

Setting it up.../tmp/tmp.DBjjfS7S2N/relocate_sdk.sh /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0/i586/relocate_sdk.sh

(which does not seem related to python at all, btw). At Arduino IDE Boards Manager install script fails, the Intel people suggest "to go with Windows when using the Arduino IDE in its latest releases"... and at software installation - Unable to install Intel i586 library (Intel galileo gen 2) in Arduino IDE on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - … there seems to be a workaround.

About

emr_iot wrote:

Recommend: install Tumbleweed in VirtualBox and try the same, or find some hardware and install same OS there.

while I think I understand the suggestion, I don't have enough resources (time, hardware, etc.) so I won't be able to reproduce your exact situation. But If someone is able to, it's more than welcome to show some fix/workaround/try the one above and post results.

BR,

Fernando.

1 2 Previous Next