Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow wifi speed

DGuti4
Beginner

I just received a new laptop from work. Running the basic tests from speedtest.net on several devices (laptop, coworkers laptop, my desktop and cellphone) I receive anywhere from 6-10mbps versus the total 100mbps rated connection speed here at home. The same goes for my home connection.

Laptop feels snappy, i just feel i get hung up on websites. Specifically, I couldn't even download the updated drivers with Intels driver update software yesterday as I was trying to update to the latest wifi drivers. It wasn't until i got home that I was finally able to do so.

Even when I get the laptop home, sitting next to the router, I struggle to get anything above 20mbps vs my t.v. or ps4 that receive both 50 & 80mbps

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Derek_G,

We understand you are having severe performance issues with your new computer using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Windows® 10.

Looking at your system settings thanks to the System Support Utility report you shared with us we were able to confirm that you're using the latest drivers and your settings look good. However, you're connecting to a legacy network, 802.11a instead of wireless-N or AC.

There are a couple of possible reasons as to why this may be happening, the most likely is that you're using WEP (wired equivalent privacy) as your network security protocol. In addition to being easy to bypass, this standard limits you to 802.11b or 802.11a, both of which were released back in 1999.

The following links contain a lot of useful information regarding wireless security standards:

- https://www.howtogeek.com/204697/wi-fi-security-should-you-use-wpa2-aes-wpa2-tkip-or-both/ Wi-Fi Security: Should You Use WPA2-AES, WPA2-TKIP, or Both? - by howtogeek.com

- https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/79187/what-is-the-best-home-wireless-network-encryption-algorithm-to-use What is the best home wireless network encryption algorithm to use? - by stackexchange.com (the second and third answers being the most informative).

- NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Derek_G,

We have not heard back from you in a while. Was the information we provided effective?

If not, please let us know so that we may continue working with you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos